New Hawkwind (1970-1974) Box Set Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Sorry for not getting to this sooner. I've been busy. Audacity is fantastic.

2. Agent of Fortune

I don't really see anything unusual there... I'll look at that mp3 file, see if there's any high frequency info your spectrogram's not showing.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Alien4 is good, as is the Love in Space live album that came out immediately thereafter. I thought Ron Tree's vocals were pretty good.

stingraex2000 likes this.
  4. Agent of Fortune

I hear what you're referring to, but I don't see any artifacts that would be present if it was mastered from a low-bitrate file (aside from the expected, given that the file is 320kbps ). One possibility is that some very aggressive noise reduction was used, but the singles disc was newly mastered for the box, wasn't it? And I hear a usual amount of tape hiss during the intro, so that's pretty unlikely.
    My best guesses: either the master tape has oxide loss, or the band/others involved (mis?)used cheap recording/mixing equipment. Or maybe that's the sound they were going for. The Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat, for example, deliberately had tape distortion all over it...

5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Just got around to placing my order for this set. Now I just have to hope the June 2 delivery estimate is overly conservative...

6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Does the Doremi sound better on this set then the previous EMI with bonus tracks.
    I have a nm original uk that destroys the cd issue I have. I would like a upgrade closer
    to my vinyl.

7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Received my box yesterday. What a great purchase!

I thought the Xin Search of Space sounded great compared to my older version w bonus tracks, but the older version had a slightly better DR#. I have not A/B'd them so take it w a grain of salt.

Don't have the bonus track version of Doremi Fasol Latido to compare the box set version against.

8. vox.jubilante

vox.jubilante Forum Resident

Thread is a few months old and I'm curious: now that folks have had this for a while, how do you feel about the sound quality? I've got most of this already, in various older cd editions - mostly (I think) 2001 editions, with bonus tracks (and the recent remix/remaster of Warrior) - the only things I don't have would be "Greasy Trucker...", "1999...", the first S/T studio album, and possibly some of the stuff on the singles, etc. disc.

Worth getting?

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I already owned everything except 1999 and Greasy Truckers and I'm happy I bought it. I've not done a comparison of what I already owned and this box.

Greasy Truckers is not the entire album, just the Hawkwind set.

vox.jubilante likes this.
  10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I've owned the boxset for 6 months now and having not gotten round to listening up until now, and in light of Lemmy's unfortunate passing. Currently listening to Doremi Fasol Latido and wow, it's awesome! Can say the same for Mountain Grill too. Now one thing I've gone and done is take some of the singles from the Time and Space CD, and add them to the album like with the recent EMI remasters. Sure there are a couple tracks missing that didn't make the CD such as Ejection and It's So Easy. Either way, glad I purchased the boxset when I was in London last July.

ArpMoog likes this.
  12. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Wow... a damn good deal, especially for someone who doesn't have all the albums.

FVDnz likes this.
  13. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Hi everybody,
    this is my first post in this great forum - have been doing my researches for an audiophile collection here for weeks and decided to join ya! :D
    As for this Hawkwind box set - is it it or is it not soundwise superior to earlier pressings for the regular studio albums?

14. vox.jubilante

Been a while since you asked the question but I'll give you my opinion.

I dithered for quite a while before pulling the trigger on this set and I'm glad I finally did. It surprises me how much I like the sound quality, overall. Seems pretty relaxed and natural to me, well balanced and not too bright, loud, or harsh (beyond the rough live sound quality of 1999 and Greasy Truckers...) I'm pleasantly surprised. I deleted my old rips in favor of these after minimal A/Bing.

Most of the other Hawkwind cds I had (that overlap this set) were the EMI with bonus tracks from the late 90s. At one point, I also had the earlier One Way Space Ritual discs in addition to the EMI and this might be the best I've heard Space Ritual sound.

So, while YMMV, I'm very happy with these and glad I overcame my initial skepticism to purchase them.

15. vox.jubilante

Actually, I'll qualify that somewhat. I feel a nagging sense something could probably be a tiny bit better - eq perhaps? - but I think these are still the best versions that I've heard and well worth the purchase.

16. el supernautico

Yeah, it's been quite a while - but that's one of the great things in this forum: Most probably someday somebody will give you a nice and helpful answer!
    Thanks!:righton:

17. vox.jubilante

Yeah, I only thought to revisit this thread since I just got the box set last week. The answers that I had gotten on my earlier questions, while positive, hadn't quite gotten me past my initial skepticism.

18. el supernautico

Since I've been reading posts here, I've got very skeptical concerning new Remasters, too.
    But sometimes, in the last few years, and maybe because of the existence of this forum, too, "they" try to get it right.:)

MichaelCPE likes this.
  19. An old post, but I wanted to note that It's So Easy is included in the box on disk 11 (singles and b-sides). Ejection is not included in this collection and along with the following, are available on the '96 EMI remasters: Bring It On Home, Cymbaline, Kiss of the Velvet Whip, Hurry Sundown demo (all on S/T), Ejection is a bonus track on the '96 EMI Doremefasolatido.

FVDnz likes this.
  20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

ARGH, so it IS!!!! How the frak did I overlook that one lol?! Cheers, dude. :)

21. Out of print now...grab a used one if you can find it!

22. Yikes! These are going for big money on Amazon now ($350 used! on US and 85 pounds on UK).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.