New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Wow, you're getting everything! When are the LM-1's coming in? Lol

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

You coming with a crane to help me move them!! :D

4. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

They are monsters. Have you heard them?

5. GoldprintAudio

No.....not had the chance.

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

My 219IA isn't going anywhere - partly because I can't lift it ;)

Definitely try these amps as power amps - the game goes up another full league when you add a real good preamp. I'd like to get an LM classic series preamp in to try but it is a different dealer in HK that carries that series.

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  7. james

james Summon The Queen

I can't decide whether to get the Leben phono stage for the 518i or step up and get something like a Shindo Aurieges Pre with MM phono stage and run that into the 518

not doing either anytime soon, so I'm not losing sleep over it

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

Not heard the Shindo pre, but the Leben phono stage is crazy good.

SandAndGlass and james like this.
  9. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Look into the Acoustic Plan Phononaster SE. I just got one and it's by far the best I've ever owned. It replaced a Shindo Aurieges/Auditorium 23 Denon 103 SUT.

james likes this.
  10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I can attest to this after hearing Eric's system That phono stage with the LM is a great combination.

11. james

james Summon The Queen

that's very interesting. thanks

12. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

For those familiar with Line Magnetic amplifiers, what differences are there between the 518ia and the 219ia? I mean in terms of sound.
    I have seen and listened to almost all models from Line Magnetic (including the 518, the 219, the 508 and the new limited edition LM126), but never had the chance to compare them in the same place at the same time.
    I think I can address this question directly to GoldprintAudio, but all comments are welcomed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've enjoyed listening to music more in the last ten months since I downsized my system, then I have in the last ten years. I have a couple good friends in the Fresno/Clovis area that have really nice, high end systems, and they thought I was crazy to sell my ARC gear. My LM 518IA just has amazing synergy with my Deadalus Argos speakers and Wireworld speaker cable.

14. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

You can also ask Richard Austen. He told me the 219 blows away the 518 and if I could afford it that's the route I should go.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Richard Austen

If I said it blows away the 518Ia then I probably had too much to drink or something. I think it's better. It's a dual mono design so automatically it has the advantage of having zero stereo crosstalk from a stereo amplifier. It has better bass all around - bigger better transformers. But the 219IA is big and far heavier nearly 50% heavier than the 518. So it's not the most practical thing in the world. Still - I still say this is the amp they are known by. You can always upgrade them as well. In HK I bought the deluxe (dx) version which has German Silver caps. The dealer here is also a manufacturer/repair center so they can offer these versions which the US probably doesn't or can't. But tube lovers often change tubes when changing caps can be more of a difference maker. I showed the internals of my DAC 502CA and a competing DAC maker immediately suggested changing the cap to another brand.

Being an Audio Note owner I know well that you can have 5 amps of the exact same design and what the massive difference can result in changing wiring caps resisters and the quality of the transformers can result. You can do this with most all tube amps. But you could also make it sound worse!

The preamp in these are the weak spots and you know this because they put a direct in switch on them - not preouts. They seemingly put the money into their big **** power transformers and they put a half decent ALPS pot on the preamp. But the preamp is more important than the power amp most of the time. This is ultimately why I bought the 219IA because it was able to be upgraded down the line to a dual mono power amp (the next closest thing to actual monoblocks. Pretty sure you can do this with the 218 and 518 and would have a stereo power amplifier. I did a preamp shootout here sing the 219IA as power amp Preamp shootout: Line Magnetic, Melody Audio, Rogue Audio... »

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

I think Richard pretty much nailed it in his description. In my opinion, the 518 is a FANTASTIC integrated, and really an incredible value.

For all the many things that the 518 does so well, the 219 just takes that and adds more. If you have the room, and the money, the 219 is the better unit, but I would not say that you are missing a ton by going 518.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

a pre out would still be great for a headphone amp. It's the biggest inconveniene about the LM amps for me.

martinb4 likes this.
  18. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

That probably is the biggest letdown. Luckily I only listen to headphones like 4 times a year, so swapping interconnects between amps hasn't been too annoying. I guess an option would be to get a quiality switch.

www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html

james likes this.
  19. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

how much is the 126 supposed to go for?

20. GoldprintAudio

21. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Thank you for the opinions.
    So it seems that the 219ia sounds, roughly, more or less like the 518ia, but bigger in every aspect: more bass, more detail, more dynamics, etc... That's what I keep hearing from people who experienced both amplifiers side by side.
    I'm planning a short trip to go audition these two amplifiers against the new Cayin A300b-Mk2. I've seen this one in a shop but didn't listen to it, and I'm very curious about it (in that store they carry both brands, Line Magnetic and Cayin).
    In the meantime I leave here some photos from the last Audio Show I attended to. The quality is not the best, but it was quite difficult to take pictures in crowded rooms.
    The Line Magnetic room was showing the entire range of products including their huge amazing speakers. While I was there, these speakers were hooked to the new 126ia and the sound was pretty close to what we get in a big theatre/concert hall.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

Well, it seems I don't know how to upload pictures :(
    My apologies for that, I really wanted to show the models I've seen in Guangzhou Audio Show last December. But you all know how they look :)

23. Richard Austen

If the picture is on the net you have to right click and select "copy image location" then you come back to this forum and you click the little postcard picture by the smiley face. Right click and paste and click insert. If you can't see the picture - then we can't see the picture. For me this is the best forum I have been on for posting pictures and videos. But they only give 30 minutes to edit - I kind of wish they would allow 24 hours. Enough times to let the guys who drink too much the odd time to be able to delete some things they say. But that's another issue.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. GoldprintAudio

FYI, for those that are interested....... we did the 518 / 508 "integrated shootout" at my customer's house yesterday. Using both DeVore 0/96 and Harbeth 40.1 speakers. My customer pretty much instantly went for the 508, and purchased the unit.

Both sounded fantastic with the 96's (of course), but the bigger dynamics of the 508 won him over.

25. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the photos!
    I originally posted them in Stereophile website. I posted there many from that Audio Show, in case you want to take a look.