T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Just got my copy today at a local B&N. $16 with a coupon and my membership discount. The LP is perfect, not only free of pops, clicks and crackle but also perfectly flat. The last couple of Rhino LP's I've bought have been very well pressed, I hope it's a trend.

As everybody else is saying, this LP sounds great! Even the last two songs (which I've never liked) are a gas now. If this is what AAA does, then bring it on. This is a near-perfect reissue and I'm surprised the list price is so relatively inexpensive.

Only one niggling issue - I kinda wish they didn't go so glossy on the cover as every touch leaves fingerprints! No, I'm not gonna use gloves. :laugh:

Is the gatefold design faithful to the original? My long-gone vintage copy wasn't a gatefold.

2. The original was a gatefold in the US. I still have one.

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

Did it have that portrait of Marc with that cropping? I only ask because I'm sure I've seen that picture in the CD packaging and it was like a mini-poster and quite different.

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Fun Fact No’s. 6383 & 6466

Sometime after Electric Warrior was released, there was an album jacket misspressing on a certain number of copies of Neil Young’s After The Gold Rush such that instead of the gatefold pic of a reclining Neil (Fillmore East dressing room?)....
    [​IMG]

you got a reclining Marc Bolan...
    [​IMG]

5. dkmonroe

Now THAT'S funny! :laugh:

"Hello, ladies - you didn't expect to meet me here, did you?"

jamesmaya likes this.
  6. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Just received mine from Amoeba last night. Gave it a quick spin and it sounds great. My old original US copy is pretty worn and has some annoying pops and crackle over Mambo Sun and Cosmic Dancer. All the praise this release is getting is much deserved.

7. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I'm in Europe and ordered this from B&N, it arrived today. I got mugged for customs charges of €16 and one of the corners of the gatefold sleeve was paper mache...but...it sounds great. This is one of those times I'm happy to take the hit.

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

It was indeed a gatefold. I have three. I tried to give one to my 12 y/o daughter when she got a turntable but she didn't like it. We'll give it some time. She's only 12.

googlymoogly likes this.
  9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listening to this right now. What a great reissue!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

GentleSenator and skisdlimit like this.
  10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Well... I ordered this from B&N over a month ago and got a delivery estimate of the end of November (I'm in the UK). Then, earlier today, I get an email from B&N saying that they have just shipped the record (?!!!!). Then, later on this morning, I get another email saying that they can't process my card and I'm to phone them or else my order will be cancelled. This is ridiculous and extremely annoying.

I've sent them an email but there is no international phone number. Is this normal customer service from B&N? #hopeless

11. Sounds more like an out of country credit card fraud problem than one with BN. This happens half the time when I order things from the UK as I’m in the US. One of my card company declined the purchase unless I pre authorize. Except for Amazon UK

12. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Thanks. It's very disappointing. I phoned B&N long-distance but they couldn't explain what the issue is except that they have cancelled the order... here's hoping for a UK release at some point.

13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Discogs is your friend - you can use Paypal, my transaction was straightforward and from memory the LP took about 10 days to arrive, if that - might mean spending a little more, i.e. about $40 including shipping, but it's a stellar release.

14. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Finally received this one. Indeed, a very well made reissue (sonically and visually). I'm very tempted to say that this is comparable to the stellar MM 33 Blue Note (same mastering chain and same top notch packaging)!

15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

curious where'd you get it ? and how much???? lol thanks

16. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I can’t recall a thread on this forum where the item was so universally praised (deservedly).

GentleSenator, bob60, SirMarc and 3 others like this.
  17. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Hi there, I found a copy at Sonic Boom on Spadina. I think it was about $30!

polchik likes this.
  18. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

oh that's great thanks!

FashionBoy likes this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Heads up for Europeans. It can be got relatively easily and cheaply on eBay. Often with free postage.

20. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

well. i'm certainly glad i picked this up ! i had recently bought a reissue, that i thought was all analog AAA, mastered at capitol by i'm assuming ron mcmaster ('RM' in the deadwax)

T. Rex - Electric Warrior

…… but i wasn't blown away by it. it certainly was listenable and crankable, but my original yet noisy canadian pressing had more life. now that i've got the kevin gray pressing, i am thoroughly satisfied. quiet, centered, flat, and the record really comes to life. sonic bliss. thank you to kevin gray and whoever it was that made the decision to hire him for this reissue!

Steel Woole likes this.
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Are you sure? I couldn’t see any....only the EU 2017 gold version which I’m not sure has the same Kevin Gray mastering?

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I just ordered one for around 18GBP plus a fiver postage. They said they have nine left. NOT the gold version but the Rocktober '17.

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My post still reads (to me) NONE left when I edited it to read NINE left.

richbdd01 likes this.
  24. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

Amazon Uk Have it for £24.o1 plus £1.26 postage...Look for the Reprise logo on the sleeve image and an October 24 2017 release date..Plus no crazy import fees..seller roundmediaUk

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh? Was just looking for it there the other day and couldn’t find it. Hence turned to eBay and found copies immediately. Downside has to come from the States, however, not expecting to pay any duty.