The Black Crowes - Amorica -- What's your favorite song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

It's been almost 20 years since The Black Crowes released "Amorica". In my opinion, "Amorica" is their best record and one of the great american albums of all time. The guys (Chris, Rich, Marc, Johnny, Steve and Eddie) were absolutely sublime from the beginning to the end of this recording.

"Amorica" could well look like an almost-conceptual oeuvre, but each song is special in its own way.

What's your personal favorite?

laf848, danielbravo, painted8 and 3 others like this.
  2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Wiser Time. Easily.

Nightfly68, ARK, SammyU and 1 other person like this.
  3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Nonfiction

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Goddamn, tough choice! I love this album, it's so good. I went with She Gave Good Sunflower because that's the one that always pops straight into my head when I think of the album. But not a duff track on it...great album.

mick_sh likes this.
  5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Have mercy baby, I'm Descending again!!!!!!!

LOVE that song.

Southern Harmony is their best record though!

Erik B., The Killer and agentalbert like this.
  6. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Such a fantastic album!! You could answer this question with any of the songs on it and I wouldn't argue. For me today, it comes down to A Conspiracy or Descending. I'll go with Descending. Eddie Harsch's piano in that song gives me goosebumps every single time.

7. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Ballad In Urgency into Wiser Time. Too me, it's one big song, not two separate ones. Since I have to vote, I'll do Wiser Time.

However, the whole damn album is amazing with the only crap song being Downtown Money Waster. One of the few albums I can listen to beginning to end.

Madness, TSWisla and ShawnX like this.
  8. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Nonfiction

9. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I'll go with Nonfiction, but I love everything on this album. It's nice to hear the album version of Nonfiction because it lacks the jam they always tag on the end, which is one of my least favorite of their structured "jams."

Desolation Row likes this.
  10. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Wiser Time. Pretty much my favorite Black Crowes song period.

Golden Richards, ARK and artfromtex like this.
  11. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Even though I've heard it a kajillion times....Wiser

ARK likes this.
  12. jenglund72

jenglund72 Forum Resident

Great album...always loved Descending the most.

20 years?! Lord.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Impossible to choose but today I'm going for Wiser Time. Got this album signed by the whole band on day of release in London (now I'm just showing off).

14. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

This one was a "grower" for me. I have the censored CD cover version.

"Descending" starts out so beautiful, man.

15. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

And is a perfect album closer.

onanboy and mick_sh like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

Such a great album. I never get tired of it, even if I play it ten times in a row!

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

And ends even more so...

The last song on the album for me has always been Tied Up & Swallowed though, as the UK CD had that on the end.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

This.

ARK likes this.
  19. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Cursed Diamond!

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yeah - Descending is great - but really the whole album is so good it is unfair to pick a favorite off of amorica.

And isn't it a shame the Crowes catalog doesn't get the deluxe treatment in this day and age? There are a lot of unreleased/early versions sitting around on DAT's in TBC archivist boa's collection in which we will never hear.

it took 20 years to the day for The Crowes/boa/Crowes mgt? to release the entire Foamfoot show from 1994. For ages the fadeout version of Foamfoot circulated but now 20 years later fans get to hear the final couple of minutes that were faded out! It took 20 years to hear 2-3 minutes! WOW! What's up with that?

It's a shame the band's catalog can't be handled better/differently and get those unreleased songs out there so we the fans can buy it. Seriously!

laf848, The MEZ and Desolation Row like this.
  21. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Tied Up and Swallowed is also a fantastic track!!

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

What's this about Foamfoot? Has it had an official release? I've got an old boot CD-R of it.

23. Further

Further Forum Resident

It's impossible to pick just one great track from this album. I love it all except for P.25 London, the one blemish on an otherwise perfect album.

Oh, and thanks for spelling High Head Blues the right way. It drives me crazy when I see it listed as Hi-Head Blues!

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It doesn't have an 'official' release as in purchased at the store on CD.

Previously I (as well as others) purchased this Foamfoot show in 1995 -96 as a real pressed CD. Then it circulated in collector circles in FLAC, MP3 etc. If you listen to Presence Of The Lord - the last track - you will notice that the show fades out as Marc is rocking a solo. Why is that? Well because the CD format in the mid 90's didn't use CD's longer than 74 minutes - that's why the final 2 -3 minutes were chopped.

Now as of January 2014 - the band's archivist (boa) torrented the non-fade out version of Foamfoot (@ The Roadhouse) finally putting an end to much speculation and rumor of the full version existing and the location of such a master.

Well - we know now - boa had a SBD copy and it sounds stellar.

It was nice of him/Crowes mgt/Crowes to finally release it but at the end of the day it's rather frustrating not knowing if the unreleased material from the band's hey day (1992 - 1997) will see the light of day. The material is documented on crowesbase.com but it's like looking at CD's behind a glass case and not being able to hear them or purchase them for your own collection. It seems there's money to be made but then I suppose they don't need money. Who does- right?

onanboy likes this.
  25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It was originally spelled that way 'Hi- Head Blues' - before that - 'Hi - Hat Blues'.

Hi - Hat --->>> http://crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=1964

Hi-Head --->>>> http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Crowes-B...=1398799275&sr=1-1&keywords=black+crowes+tall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.