Anime (JAPANESE ANIMATION)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MacGyver, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Is Doraemon considered anime?

[​IMG]

2. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I think most Japanese would associate Doraemon with manga, but there's certainly lots of Doraemon anime too.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I believe there's enough exception that proves the rule. Of course America doesn't see all of the full spread of anime, but we get enough of it to make our own choices (of course) based on our own prejudices.

Manga used to hit me the same way, because of its' minimalist nature. But I came to appreciate just how much craft it takes to make a graphic statement with so few lines of artwork. And, the fact that it's usually way longer than our commercial comic works, the brevity of style assists in producing the work.

This minimalism doesn't translate well into teevee-oriented anime however, since shooting on 4's*, exaggerated forms and intentionally-unrealistic artwork have long been symbols in the West of cheaper animation with less aspirations, and aimed at kiddies.

(*"shooting on 4's is when you use four frames to repeat the same image to save artwork; Disney's classic stuff was "shooting on 2's")

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I disagree, it is acknowledged that Anime was influenced by pie-eyed Disney characters. From Felix the cat to Sponge Bob Americans have enthusiasticaly embraced excessive cuteness. To my mind when things become too "ute" they cross over from cute to grotesque. The aesthetic of some Anime is unpleasant to me, it is so sickeningly sweet that it becomes grotesque.

5. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I've been watching K-ON!, a series that just ended this week. It's about a group of high school girls who form a rock band. The bass player, Mio, owns a pair of AKG K 701s headphones.

Attached Files:

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

As she sits, patiently waiting to write a review of The Beatles remasters...

7. nsmith1002

Well now that The Beatles have been mentioned, here's the cover for the soundtrack for Hidamari Sketch:

Attached Files:

8. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

I only seem to like the merchandise driven ones (Pokemon, Digimon, Naruto)

Digimon by the way, very underrated. Pretty complex stories for a "kiddie" show.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And the expensive headphone was selling madly!:eek:
    http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20090511_k701/

10. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cute!! if you like that, you'll LOVE this:

http://www2.117.ne.jp/~ota-beam/otb-hp.htm

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I love My Neighbour Totoro!!! Spirited Away is amazing, and Grave of the Fireflies is depressing but still magnificent. I love all the Studio Ghibli stuff to be honest. More here...

http://www.onlineghibli.com/

13. nsmith1002

Thanks for that link! I'm a headphone freak and anime fan, so those pics really brightened my day. Dōmo arigatō!

14. MacGyver

15. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Hayo Miyazaki's newest film Ponyo comes out in the US on August 14

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Ponyo is the magnum opus. It is the Zauber floete of Miyazaki.

17. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

JAFAX (Japanese Art, Film and Animation Expo) 14 Tomorrow!!!

18. MacGyver

I WANNA GO!! WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!:cry::cry:

19. nsmith1002

I don't know if this will be shown at any theater close to me (most Miyazaki films
    have not), so I'll wait for the DVD. I just hope Disney continues like they have before and will include the Japanese language audio track.

20. MacGyver

yeah. here and there over the last few years, some Anime companies have been going back-@$$-wards and returning to dinking with some of the opening songs on some series, mainly removing the lyrics and rendering the songs instrumental, heaven knows why. what is this? 1995 all over again?! don't even get me started on when MANGA video was kicking around the idea of replacing the original soundtracks on many of their releases with material by U2 and the BEASTIE BOYS. boy, did MANGA ever catch a lot of flack from ANIMERICA readers back then. must we explain to everyone yet again that Anime, or JAPANIMATION, if you will, is an honest-to-goodness ARTFORM, not to be trifled with?! could someone paint a mustache on the MONA LISA and get away with it!?!? :realmad::realmad:

21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I remember watching a few of these movies years ago. One was called Fist of the North Star and another called Urotsukidoji. Fist of the North Star was very good, the other was extremely violent.

Also a cartoon version of The Yearling, I'm pretty sure it was Anime and Battle of the Planets.

My all time favourite though was a show I watched while I was in Malta as a kid, it was on Italian TV called U'omo Tigre, fantastic series, must have been from the early 70's. I'm guessing these are Anime?

22. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I will definitely see 'Ponyo' on the big screen!
    Miyazaki is a genius, greater than Disney in his prime.
    I saw 'Mononoke Hime' & 'Howl's Moving Castle' in the theater, it was a wonderful experience.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Yes, it must be seen on the big screen definitely, and prepare to be stunned by seeing Brünnhilde (Ponyo) running on the sea! :righton:

24. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

A classic from 60's, Astro Boy is my favorite Anime, the story in itself is fascinating, and the character design is awesome.

Attached Files:

25. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I've dipped a toe in, and have watched 13 (very reasonably priced) DVDs of Zatch Bell, in its edited English version. Fun stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.