Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

iggyd, fr in sc, lordcat and 20 others like this.
  2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

exciting stuff, can't get enough Small Faces

Andy Saunders and Kevin55 like this.
  4. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Very cool. I hope it's not just a bunch of alternate mixes.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is there actually going to be any fresh, unreleased material here? I love 'em, but The Small Faces' rather slim discography has been rehashed endlessly.

6. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Nice!

I would have been happy with an all analogue reissue of the original 2 LP. Looks like it is going to go beyond that.

Tuck1977 and e.s. like this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

And it should go without saying there will be none of the awful fake stereo and "stoned" panning the early mono tracks were treated to on the original LPs. Right?

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I guess it's will be another package with "Greatest Hits" on it, Main Album and a bunch of useless alternate mixes in fancy overblown package like previous box sets..

Tommyboy, Clarkophile and Tristero like this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I loved this album ever since my older brother lent me his original Immediate import a hundred or so years ago. (My current go-to is the '80s Porky cut on Castle Classics.)

In all the times I've listened to it, I never once thought to myself that it needed to be changed or improved. I think it would be great if the album was reissued, as is, for people who missed getting into it before. It would be a shame if this opportunity were squandered on a bloated, overpriced edition that nobody but collecteurs would be interested in.

sami, D.B., Joti Cover and 1 other person like this.
  10. hallucalation

There was rumours that since Here Come The Nice box they uncovered tons of new sessions tapes that can fill several more boxes like this. Let's see in the end...

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The original release is still available. Who else, apart from devoted "collecteurs", is going to buy an archival release from the Small Faces in 2017?

Becoming a fan of the band in the 90s, I never quite knew what to make of Autumn Stone, an odd mixture of greatest hits and rarities encompassing both the Immediate and Decca periods. I knew most of the previously unreleased material from The Darlings of Whapping Wharf Lauderette compilation, so I never had much interest. The Small Faces camp have rehashed this kind of a formula so frequently by now--how many times do I have to pay for "Here Comes The Nice" and "Tin Soldier", great as they are? We'll see if they're able to come up with a compelling new mixture here, but I'm skeptical. . .

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I didn't appreciate the original lp (too many reruns) but I might pay $$ just to have copy of that mighty majestic title song.

Man at C&A and Dante Fontana like this.
  13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It's Small Faces...both the Immediate and Decca remasters sound beautiful.

Darn it, they got me. Hope it's out by Christmas.

Surferghost likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What could conceivably fill 3-4 CDs?

15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Oh god another box to buy.

16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Possibly the unreleased mono mix of the album? and all the session material discovered after Here Come The Nice?

fortherecord and Surferghost like this.
  17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I'm in (he says with exasperation in his voice because he buys all SF stuff)

18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Any chance of a hi-res release? -E

19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, The Autumn Stone (and Afterglow of Your Love) are my favorite Small Faces' songs. Sad that Autumn Stone was one of the last things they recorded before Steve left the band. Went out on a high note, I guess.

Anyway, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in that they found enough new interesting material to warrant an extra disc of two. We'll see once the track list is released.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Ideally, they'd do this is as a straight reissue of the original album, plus a deluxe edition with whatever extra material they've unearthed...

Hep Alien and Mark Wilson like this.
  21. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Let's hope they don't make it unavailable in the UK and then let Amazon charge nearly £200 for it this time.

Let's see:

Disc 1: Autumn Stone as originally released plus a few stray instrumentals like 'Take My Time' that haven't been part of the reissue programme so far.

Disc 2: I heard they found a good-sounding complete concert from 1966 recently (bear in mind that even complete concerts were short in those days, though). That might account for some of the extra material unless they're saving it for next milking day. And fingers crossed for that last BBC session from 1968, complete with their version of 'Get Ready'.

Discs 3 and/or 4: More session tapes? I don't mind alternate/work-in-progress versions one bit - I'm a freak, I want whatever they've got. I'm also more than happy with the 'reduction mixes' that appeared on the Immediate box, so maybe some more of those. Maybe some of the stuff they did with Peter Frampton (their actual final recordings from Dec 68/Jan 69) for that Johnny Halliday LP?

Considering everyone thought the barrell had been scraped, there's still plenty of stuff that possibly exists, so long as they've actually found it or have access to it. Realistically though, I predict there will be many, many instrumentals on this set.

Dammit though. I'm excited for this now, despite myself.

22. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Reading Rob Caiger's tweet again and noticed the discrepancy there - 3LPs vs 3-4 CDs would suggest that there's extra material projected for the CDs. But let's not forget that Caiger also originally suggested the Immediate Years box would be 5 CDs of 'newly-discovered' session material, and it actually ended up being 1 CD of Greatest Hits (albeit the rarer mono mixes) and 3 rarities CDs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't really get this at all. It was a retrospective hits/rarities record when released that isn't really relevant now, it's not a 'proper' album just a compilation. Is that where we are now, that even compilation albums get 'super deluxe editions'? If there is additional material to be released just release it in a cheaper form on it's own, otherwise it's just fleecing the fans imo.

24. hallucalation

Unlikely 1966 concert will be released here - John Hellier told that it's not easy to release it.

25. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Based on Steve's and Ronnie's songwriting chops on their later material, I'd much prefer that the unreleased concert recording in question come from the band's 1967-1969 peak period.