Star Trek and Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"Did you see a sign in Sick Bay that said Dead Klingon Storage?"

Ghostworld, Solaris and Edgard Varese like this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"'What' ain't no planet I ever heard of! They speak Klingon on 'What'?"

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

vince and sunspot42 like this.
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I can't wait to see some naughty aliens in the sack! ;)

5. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Considering the PG-13 Beyond essentially didn’t make a dime in profit, by convential logic it’s positively insane that the studio is agreeing to these terms. Either the pitch is unbelievable or Tarantino’s name really does carry that much value and clout within Hollywood at this point.

The demise of the Weinstein Company is seeming to only be a benefit to his career and ability to persue whatever he wants, I know for his 1969 movie every studio but Disney was lined up at the door to kiss his @$$ :laugh:

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

His movies typically don't cost that much to produce, do alright at the box office, and do well on home video and presumably in streaming. So there's that.

Maybe his pitch is for a Trek movie that won't cost $100 million to produce. He might also be able to attract some pretty formidable acting talent without forcing the studio to pay out the *** to get it.

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Worf meets the Wolf.

The Wolf: Vulcan homeworld is 16 light years away. I'll be there in 5.

Worf: Klingons don't show off.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This is probably the only way I'd sit through a Star Trek movie

dead of night and keef00 like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A Star Trek movie in name only. What's next, Tarantino does a new R rated take on Bambi? That would be as much a Disney movie as this would be a Trek movie.

greelywinger likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Maybe. Science fiction isn't my thing. I hated the show. Tried the movies and didn't care for those either. So... not having any ties to any of them... I'd have nothing to be offended about. Especially since QT movies not only don't offend me, but appeal to me.

vince likes this.
  12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

He's basically saying he can make a Deadpool sort of entry in the Trek franchise. Something that could be sensational for adults.

I want to see him try. But honestly I dont think anyone can write themselves out of the corner into which Trek stuck itself. First Contact came closest to being something new (a sort of horror undercurrent that hadn't been tried before) but everything since was a regression back into by-the-numbers Trek.

My guess is that he'll find something that hasnt been done before.

I want to add that I finally saw Beyond, and it was much better than the first two Abrams Treks - but even with Simon Pegg's finding as much fun and joy within the traditional Trek story elements as anyone possibly could, those elements are obviously too threadbare to keep on with. But damn i was expecting a trainwreck and instead it was pretty good. Motorbike aside.

vince likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Trek has been doing horror since the beginning. The first regular episode aired, "The Man Trap", was horror. "Devil In The Dark" from that first season also had horror elements, until the twist ending. "Charlie X" was laced with horror, including a gruesome shot of a woman whose mouth had been removed. TNG did horror often (probably best in the episode "Schisms").

The Trek films hadn't played with horror much, apart from maybe the sequence of Khan torturing Chekov and Terrell and the sequence aboard Regula I in The Wrath Of Khan. But Trek returned again and again to horror right from the start.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I heard this before a few months ago. I'll bet he's aiming to do a remake of "The City On The Edge Of Forever" with the new cast. It would be much cheaper than a typical Trek film - not many space effects. Most of the usual cast doesn't need to be in it - just Uhura and some redshirts, in addition to Kirk, Spock and McCoy. It's set in Depression-era Manhattan and it's story about the accidental triumph of fascism brought about by a woman a century ahead of her time in seeking peace is certainly topical. And Tarantino could easily buff it out from 50 to 90 minutes by showing just how horrid Manhattan could be for the impoverished during the Great Depression.

He could even go back to Ellison's original script, which featured not McCoy as the one who accidentally went back in time and changed history, but a drug-addicted crewman zonked out of his mind. Roddenberry wouldn't allow that - and he was probably worried about what the censors would do - but Tarantino would.

Daisy Ridley would make a fantastic Edith Keeler. Jes sayin'.

Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

THIS SHUTTLECRAFT IS 100 PERCENT DEATH PROOF.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Oh, also the flying pizza monsters from the TOS Trek show. Those scared me when I was a child.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If QT does do a version of City On The Edge Of Forever, I'd expect a different city, different time. I'd bet on an Orion city so the crew could have sex with delicious, green babes and guys. ;)

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The original series had a ton of truly horrific stuff. They had a budget of like a buck ninety five, so a lot of it was fundamentally cheezy, but the concepts were really terrifying. "The Enemy Within", where Kirk is split into good and bad halves. "Wolf In The Fold", where they encounter an immortal psychopathic mass murdering entity which was apparently Jack the Ripper hundreds of years before, and even the original pilot "The Cage", with its horrifying Talosians and the terrifying scenarios they put the Enterprise crew through (although we later find out there's a method to their madness). Other episodes with strong horror elements would include second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "Gem", "The Lights Of Zetar", "What Are Little Girls Made Of", and "Return To Tomorrow".

Wounded Land likes this.
  20. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I think you mean "The Empath".

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Watched the interview - not the most articulate guy is he? :p

But why would die hard fans want to watch a remake of this? It falls into the same ho-hum remake machine that we get with other Hollywood remakes.

Just as he complained about the "Cumberbund" effect, I'd think fans would wave their hands in derision with a pfffft at the screen if he screws the plot beyond the expected Trek timeline. And if he stays true to it, then I don't get the potential appeal.

And f'bombs and boobs in Trek? Pass.

SandAndGlass and Deesky like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They wouldn't.
    Yep!

24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Kurt Russell - Capt. Kirk
    Harvey Keitel - Dr. McCoy
    Steve Buscemi - Mr. Spock

SandAndGlass and Pete Puma like this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ah, yes...
    AND, let us not forget, speaking of Mr. Pegg;
    Quinten was a fan of "Spaced", and even appeared as a 'guest' on the commentaries for the DVD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.