TV show re-casting that didn't work

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Yes, but the new Ginger who showed up for the reunion movies -- uh-uh. (On the other hand, how badly could anyone damage "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island?")

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I definitely agree.
    [​IMG]

Steve Carras likes this.
  3. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Of course, Pamela Ferdyn left the role of Edna on the Odd Couple to take on a full time role in the new Paul Lynde Show and then they cast Doney Oatman to replace her, but lets not also forget that Felix's son Leonard was first played by Willie Aames, and then later by Leif Garrett.

In my estimation, its hard to say whether Doney Oatman was a good replacement, but I felt the shows writers did re-adjust Edna's character to her. I don't think Pamela Ferdyn could have pulled off the episode where Edna runs away to follow Paul Williams.

Keith V likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John Boy Walton...

Scooterpiety likes this.
  5. Michael

The multiple Herman Munsters...

6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

The character was also changed to The Puzzler. Think there was a money issue with Frank but it ended up getting worked out and he came back.

BadJack likes this.
  7. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Audrey Meadows replacing Pert Kelton as Alice in “The Honeymooners” skits worked out great. (Though those early, gritty DuMont sketches shows that Pert could hold her own against Jackie Gleason.) Sue Ann Langdon and Sheila MacRae replacing Audrey Meadows was not, sadly, as great of a success. Ditto Jane Kean trying to fill Joyce Randolph’s shoes.

Beaglemaster, Gumboo and Michael like this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Puzzler was different villian all together. Not quite sure what you are saying here?

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

For a I Dream of Jeanie reunion TV movie in the mid-80s, they had to recast the role of Tony Nelson because Larry Hagman was unavailable due to being busy filming Dallas. Wayne Rogers took over in the role for the TV movie.

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Not really in line with the OP, but I've always preferred Phyllis Coates to Noel Neill in Adventures of Superman.

Coates' Lois Lane was a lot more independent and "liberated" (as far as the 1950s are concerned) than her Noel Neill counterpart. She was often forthright to the point of recklessness, but considering the times, it was pretty refreshing.

Noel Neill brought a warmth to Lois that the Coates' version lacked, but at the cost of the sassy attitude that made the first series more noir-like.

In "Mystery of the Broken Statues", Lois doggedly pursues the story, while Clark initially figures there was no story at all.

If that episode was produced later, Lois would have likely carted Jimmy along with her so he could bumble haplessly, while Lois accidentally stumbles onto the bad guys' scheme.

Obviously, the recasting did work, but I can't help wondering how Phyllis Coates' Lois would have handled being captured by the bad guys in the late-period "The Town That Wasn't There". The evil-doers might have needed Superman to save their bacon.

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Max Showalter was the original Ward Cleaver? I did not know that!

fr in sc and MikeInFla like this.
  12. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I believe the Puzzler script was a rejigged Riddler story when they were between Gorshin and Astin.

13. Michael

it's crazy how much better she blended with Gleason...Audrey was pure perfection!

14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'm still angry at the way Donna was treated.

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The replacement Laurie on That 70s Show. Terrible!!!

FVDnz, goodiesguy and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

rebooting an old favorite...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

That is correct.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She and the original actress are both in the new Roseanne show, which I think is hilarious.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I really enjoyed the first season of The John Larroquette Show, but, apparently, the general public found it too dark.

For season two, the lightened it up and added Alison LaPlaca as a love interest. I was out.

Gumboo and zebop like this.
  20. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Santa Barbara was the king of this.

They replaced the original Mason Capwell, Lane Davies with Terry Lester. The show immediately declined. Lester left and they replaced him with Gordon Thomson, that didn't work either. For fans of Lane Davies, he captured Mason's darkness, humor and odd likability. The other Masons never played him as well, the character failed and that helped the show fade away.

Robin Wright played Kelly Capwell and she was subsequently replaced with actress that didn't have her spark and grit, but good lord, who does? Kelly was never, ever the same without Robin.

21. MikeInFla

The scripts were originally written for The Riddler. It was changed to Puzzler when Frank wouldn't appear.

22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Haven't seen it yet, forgot about it actually. Where can I view it?

23. MikeInFla

[​IMG]

I believe it will be on ABC but hasn't aired yet.
    Here is the promo but it is all old clips

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It’s been a long time, but IIRC on her first episode they did a bit at the very end with the family watching “Bewitched” and commenting on how silly it was to switch Darren and expect no one to notice. New Backy said something like “I’ve always preferred new Darren”. Can’t recall the exact dialogue, but I really loved that meta moment. “Rosanne” was such a sharp show for a while.

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

But Eartha Kitt had that something too. Meow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.