Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Such a nice price. Always tempted by these things even when I don't need them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. Just placed my order for one so I can enjoy my CD collection again. I'm sure this will be noticeably better than the very ancient Denon that I currently have, but don't use anymore. Either going to run it through me Denon AVR-3300, or the Rogue Sphinx I recently got for getting back into vinyl. Nice deal.

RonW likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, $139. is like dinner and a movie with the wife, or close to it. And... if your old CD player stops working, you have a nice replacement ready to go. They won't be around much longer at this price.

RonW likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Let us know what you think.

5. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You are so right on that. Thanks for the little push there. The night is young...

6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Just ordered mine, I have to follow that lead this is a great buy. I have other Onkyo gear and could never doubt the quality. I'm really looking forward to hearing this little jewel.
    Thanks guys for your help!
    Ron

7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have the C-7030 since it was released and consider it to be a bargain even though I paid $200.00. The sales price on Amazon have me tempted to get a spare....just in case.

RonW likes this.
  9. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I am the absolute worst procrastinator. If I can do it....well...???
    Just buy it fella. :tiphat:

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

They're 179.00 in Canada. Regular 249.99. Not such a bargain here. :shrug:

11. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

A couple of ignorant questions: Why do you need a 24/192 dac on a 16/44 cd player? Can you record HD files on a cd-r and play them with this player?

12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

That was our price too until this sale...

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Good question. I'm not sure maybe someone will come along here...

14. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

You guys are doing my wallet no favors. Just ordered one!

RonW likes this.
  15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

My wallet does everyone favors but me. This time it's me! Besides my birthday is this week (no guilt).

:cool:

80sjunkie likes this.
  16. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Enjoy it Ron. Now it does change during the burn in. And yes, it DOES burn in. I've done it with all three and they do 'cook' for a while until the electronics settle down.
    My way was this: Dave Brubeck 'Time Out' cd. put it on repeat or 'repeat' 'Random' . This does two things, it gives the Laser Drive mechanism a work out that will make it
    fail if there is a defect. In which case you pack it up and send it right back to Amazon for a replacement at no cost to you. Or get your money back.
    Let the CD play for three full days, (72 hours). Then turn off the Onkyo and let it sit for half a day, like while your at work.
    That should do it. Make sure you us a good sounding cd to audition the player with. And if you can, turn your tone controls to
    Gary, buy it from Amazon.US
    the beave

bhazen and RonW like this.
  17. The Beave

It's overkill Ron. Basically Onkyo put a DAC that is capable of SACD resolution and adapted it to 16/44.1. Nuf said. The proof is in the sound, and this deck does
    sound extremely good.
    the beave

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You think it may trump my oppo bdp 80? I like it as a sacd player but for cd's not so much, I do like the Woflsen signature, and any idea if it will de-emph the old discs?

RonW likes this.
  19. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Thanks Beave. I'll give her a good run in.

Next stop-new speakers for the bedroom!

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Heck, I don't even need one but I might buy one and keep in the box for a rainy day.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine should arrive by this Wednesday.

I'm not a fanatic about burn in except for speakers, but in this case a burn in can't hurt, so I'll run it for 4 continuous days in repeat swapping CD's each day that I burned which have some very high extended peaks, as well as extreme lows and highs.

I have a lovely, lush sounding vintage 1976 Radio Shack STA 90 Receiver I've had for several years now that I just recapped this weekend and went over completely top to bottom, and some very rare Pioneer S-X540D speakers I just re-foamed also so the timing will be perfect, (Oddly I've never been able to find any info on these speakers, a search on the net turns up posts of mine about them and that's it).

I'll let the system play at a modest level in my work shop building and all of it can break in, or just simple break. We'll see what happens.

I'm a bit wary of this CD player as more than a few folks have complained of these DOA or dying early, so I'll push it to the limit and send it back if it dies. Nothing to loose here.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I've had my eye on this unit for over a year...now is the time to strike and get it on the cheap....just ordered one!

Pricing like this may indicate that the model may be terminated soon methinks.....too bad.

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, and it'll last longer too! Marriage not necessarily included though!!

24. The Beave

The first couple of 7030's I got two years ago, I opened them up and made sure all the screws were secure. I'm pretty sure
    that at least one had the screws securing the transport unit were not fully tightened. Now that was three years or so and I've gone through around 7 decks so my memory is a bit hazy. Now this newest one, which has a manufactured date of October 2012, seems to have, If my memory is right, been modified in a good way. The transport is now secured with screws that screw into the unit FROM THE BOTTOM. Not from Inside like I remembered. All screws were tight. Also, the inside Circuit boards are now floating (!). A pretty high end topology if you ask me. So it seems like Onkyo has Improved the construction of the 7030 while in production. So yes. if you have problems of reading any discs send it back on their dime and try a replacement unit.
    And the other poster asking about pre-emphasis I believe it is still the Redbook Standard to include decoding even in today's chips. (Maybe Steve or someone who knows DAC's can chime in here). It's just that Mastering engineers haven't had to use it for some time due to the overall Cd playback chain getting better as time went on. Also try googling Wolfson 8718 Dac and the specs should tell you.
    And dont forget to check those Amazon Pics out I linked to above. The Frequency Response graph alone tells the story-Theoretically Flat from below 20hz to a mear -1/10th of a db at 20 khz. Now that is some Flat response.
    the beave

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Beave, Sid Hartha confirmed pre-emph decoding from an old thread, on my buy list :)