Is DVD Audio dead?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ocd1, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I really wish I'd picked that up when it was available. Hoping it'll make it to HDTracks someday...

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

In the end it's good that we have both DVD SACD and HD downloads. The consumer has three good choices right there surprisingly (even of they exclude vinyl)

The recent spike of multichannel layers on DVDs is interesting to me. Both the VU and an early Allmans album (of all things) were unexpected and a nice gift to fans of surround. Fleetwood Mac, etc.

3 HQ audio choices and throw in some surround and I'm still slightly interested.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's been previously available on the internet - I saw it, all hope is not lost.!

Dr Jackson likes this.
  4. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Well you see, that's what irks me about digital downloads. You can get flac and alac commercially, but multichannel flac and alac isn't very supported in cars and portable players. My biggest lament is the capabilities my car's head unit has on paper vs what it is willing to eat and playback.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

That's the one. I want it!

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Thanks for all that, much appreciated.

8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Great one. I used to have the marvellous HDAD version but lost it in a fire. A very good friend ripped his version in Hi-rez for me so I am set again. :D

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that HDAD discs were a cinch to copy, you dropped the disc into Nero and clicked "copy" and that was it. It just took a few years is all for DVD burners to get to the market. When classic first issued these there were not any DVD-Rs to be found. Another year or two was it.

10. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Get a player that ignores the watermark. :) There are many out there.

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

How many new titles were in the DVD-a format in the past 365 days?
    Sa-cd.net shows how many new SACD come out and its quite a lot.
    Also, they revamped their website to include blu ray audio....so I'd say Blu ray audio has superseded DVD-A.
    I was listening to the new Beatles Blu ray and it sounded great. So I don't see the need for DVD-A anymore.

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

quicksrt likes this.
  13. Dr Jackson

The need comes down to compatibility. More people have DVD players than Blu-ray players now, especially head units in cars. It's too bad sacd is such a weird format because what I've heard ripped from them has been outstanding. The quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon on sacd is supposed to be definitive.

14. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Many would disagree, preferring the original 85 Black Triangle CD. The extra channels of the quad mix is impressive but the sound is somewhat compressed.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The need comes down to content.

No hi-res format in itself is all that special. In the few times you can make a one-to-one comparison, they're all typically marginally better (than rebook) at best. The other puzzle pieces always must be in place, namely quality production and mastering. Beyond that, hi-res is nice enough on my mid-fi rigs, but it's hardly precious.

Maybe if I had one o' them high-resolving systems I've heard about.

My bottom line is...

Wish You Were Here in 5.1 is on SACD.
    Larks' Tongues in 5.1 is on DVD-A.
    The Raven Who Refused To Sing in 5.1 is on Bluray.

I'm afraid I need those. So I need a player.

Even if Larks' is the only DVD-A I have.

Shrug.

Steel Horse likes this.
  16. Dr Jackson

I was replying to Jojo who said he didn't see the need anymore.

17. Dr Jackson

Interesting. Ultimately from what I've heard, the Japanese Sussoro on vinyl is the best, but I digress. I've heard the quad and it's nice, but I'll listen again for compression artefacts.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

These format wars are bewildering!

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Sussoro vinyl but I do have an original 74 UK pressing and a MFSL UQHR and the black triangle CD betters those two. I also have an original 74 Au quadraphonic LP which I like listening to, even folded down to stereo. It has a unique mix which emphasises the background vocals giving an eeire character to the sound which matches the sombreness of DSOTM.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The album came out in 1973 which is the year of the original pressings.

21. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Yep that is correct, the UK album I have is a 73 pressing but the quadraphonic was 74, which I think was the original AU press.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The original UK pressing is often referred to as the solid blue triangle btw. Did you know this fact?

23. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

No I didn't know that, I'm not a collector or anything like that. But yes it has a solid blue triangle on the record label, black inner sleave. If I remember correctly (the record is stored away) the matrix was A2/B2. A few years back a vinylphile friend of mine told to hang on to the record as it could be worth a bit of money.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Once again, I am happy with the hi-res downloads, that I have burned to DVD-A. It gives me plenty of discs to play in my APL 3910. It's like these are the DVD-A discs I've been waiting for and now I finally have them Plus, I can play my hi-res dvd's without a video monitor. For me, DVD-A is alive and well.

25. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

I'm using an Oppo 105 so I listen to all formats You mention above plus HD-files. I like these formats depending on the music. Also want to reccomend King Crimson on DVD-A. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.