UHQR Sgt. Pepper Intervention.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ssmith3046, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Jack Hunt's MoFi cuttings have "JH/2" scribed in the deadwax.

Stan Ricker's cuts have "SR/2".

2. gss

gss Forum Resident

Well, you'll also be able to definitely tell us your opinion of it once you've compared!

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think you'd have to get the deadwax info.

Rich C likes this.
  4. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have the Jack Hunt. It was kind of hard to see, but I found it.

Do you know if this would have been pressed in 1983? And further, was this issued by itself? Or was it part of a box set?

Thanks.

5. The UHQR is a really great sounding issue. Like many other pressing, it has no other that sounds just like it. It's a bit sjy on the bottom end but has a great mid and smooth top end. What's the price of the one you're thinking about?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Indeed. But I am really surprised that this is not fleshed out on Discogs.

I'm truly grateful the information that is shared here.

7. TLMusic

The "JH/2" MoFi copy (which I still have) is not from a box set. JH copies might have been included in the box sets, or maybe they were all Stan Ricker cuts, I'm afraid I don't know for certain.

It's pressed on JVC translucent vinyl, and I would guess that it dates from the early to mid 1980s, like similar MoFi vinyl.

Rich C likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have several versions of this LP but have never heard the UHQR.

However, I have heard the blue box version (not an early pressing however), the new stereo and mono remasters, several US pressings (ugh), a 70's UK pressing, and an early 80's German stereo pressing. By far, the German pressing is the best sonically. Wide open, big soundstage and really nice midrange and bass. Next would be the new mono remaster, but a distant 2nd for my ears.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

What are you paying for this? Price is part of the equation in any comparison.

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

One other thing about the JH cutting, it contains the "Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove" on Side 2. It's not executed all that well on my copy, but it's there. The Stan Ricker cuts don't have it, including the UHQR.

Rich C and TLMusic like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Bought it in 2004 and sold it 8 years later. Wasn't crazy about it. My system has been totally overhauled since then, so not sure how it would sound. Probably not so great.

mpayan likes this.
  12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I own the UHQR, i played less than 5 times and it hasn't felt a needle in over 20-25 years, I really need to buy a turntable just to convert to wave ......... I bet it must be worth a few bucks......

13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have it and like it. Stupidly sold my original purchase in the very late 90's and always felt bad that I did even though I no longer had a turntable. Purchased a Project Carbon around the time of the mono set being released. Wife bought the mono set as a birthday gift to me. Repurchased a UHQR Sgt Pepper early in 2016. Great pressing. Quiet as hell. Would love to go back in time and not sell my Blue Box which I bought new in 1978 ( it was a numbered edition with all the albums still sealed except for the Rarities that was never sealed) and my MoFi Box which I also purchased new when it was released. Don't let me go on about selling my George Harrison Live In Japan Genesis book as well.Im getting sick right now.
    Must say that no pressing today matches the quality of the late 70's MoFi JVC pressing. Optimal doesn't even come close.

hi_watt and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have the UHQR and have always liked it. If the price is right, grab it. They're going for serious money so you'd never lose out in the long run.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. dudley07726

I rebought an excellent copy for $275 earlier this year. Sold my original version for $400.

16. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I thought it was executed well on my copy. It surprised me when I heard it. More good info. Thanks.

17. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Cool. Next time I have it out I will have to hold it up to the light. It really is fun to learn these things. I had no idea.

TLMusic likes this.
  18. TLMusic

Here's some interesting (and very old) commentary from Tom Port regarding the Pepper UHQR. Look for the "Humorem" posts.
    Tom Port's Manifesto...... »

And this one, too:
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours 180gm vinyl reissue? »

19. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I remember reading an interview with Geoff Emerick in one of the audio mags, stating that he did not like the UHQR MoFi pressing of Sgt. Pepper, thought the EQ was greatly boosted and not faithful to the sound of the master tape.

20. TLMusic

Yes, that's referred to in the Tom Port quote in the post directly above yours.

21. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Funny, I was just 'talking' with Fremer (via Facebook) the other day and he relayed the same story about Geoff's take on the UHQR Pepper. I didn't realize he'd covered that discussion in a magazine article. Must look it up...

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There you go, I think I'll skip it. I'm happy with my tube cut UK mono. You can get a whole blue box in NM condition these days for cheap.

23. dudley07726

I don't care what GE says about the UHQR. I like it. That's what matters to me. Did anyone ever tell GE that his and GM mixing sucked? Vocals of HCTS on one side in 69? Come on

Strat-Mangler and ted321 like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive had it and its no great shakes imo. My UK stereo sounds much more natural and pleasing. Cool looking though. As is the mono UK Peppers.

25. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

This description says it all. I bought it when released in 1982. It cost $50 a lot for a record back then (still is today!). Have serial #415. It sounds absolutely fabulous. Probably the best sounding record I own. If the price is reasonable, grab it.

owsley and ssmith3046 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.