Charlie Hansen of Ayre Acoustics RIP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by htom, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htom

htom Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault and BGLeduc like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ouch.

-Bill

3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Way too young to leave us.

RIP

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Sad news - a guy who really loved music.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

He was only 61 years old...

7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I was reading his posts on various message boards, specifically his detailed analysis of HDCD. I learned a lot from him. RIP. :(

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

That sucks.... he was such a good guy.

9. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Sad. He was a down to earth guy.

s

Satrus likes this.
  10. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

RIP. Met him some years ago at a seminar at RMAF along with Jim Smith of "Get Better Sound" fame. Great guy. Terrible loss.

11. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Audio Asylum won't be the same...

12. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

That is awful news. One of the best designers in high end audio gone? I am very sad to read this. I have two Ayre components in my set up and I have a high regard for the marque and for Charlie too, of course. Too many good people passing away of late. Sad.

13. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Oh man, this is just awful news :-(

He's way too young - I'm completely shocked by this

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Very sad. Pretty much the result of being run over by a motorcyclist and paralyzed a while back as I understand it. Already listening via my Pono in his memory.

John K

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

What sadness. RIP

16. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Sad.

What was the cause of death?

17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Charles Hansen was confined to a wheelchair after being clipped by another motorist while Charles was riding his bicycle. He had major spine problems afterwards.

18. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

As an owner of multiple Ayre components over the last decade, all I can say is this is a tremendous loss. Listening to an all Ayre stack right now as I type this. He was always extremely helpful and insightful over on Audio Asylum. Condolences to his friends and family.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Here's a newspaper article about the accident and how it affected him: 180-day jail sentence for motorcyclist

And an article from Digital Audio Review from a year ago that has some video interviews with him in his wheelchair: Looking through solid Ayre: QX-5 Twenty internals & factory tour | DAR__KO

I'm also a cyclist. I read about cycling accidents like that and have to say "there but for the grace of God go I". That's a life changing type of accident and injury.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  20. RIP, Charlie. Just saw this in another forum. He certainly was a force in the “no B.S.” camp of audiophiles.

21. The man who was involved in the accident with Charlie appeared to have died in 2014.

Boulder coroner: Man found with hash oil materials died of multiple drug intoxication

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Did he also create the Pono player?

23. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Yes, he designed it

24. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I had been aware that Charlie had been involved in a serious accident some years ago but I did not know the specifics. Poor man to have such a life changing accident. As a cyclist myself I am hughely aware of the dangers. Cyclists here in Ireland are being ‘mowed down’ by motorists regularly. There is a cyclist road death every other week over here. On my way to work yesterday morning there were three female cyclists cycling along a narrow country (rural) road with three cars traveling behind unable to pass. The second vehicle tried to overtake the first car and the cyclists even though he had no clear vision of the road ahead because there was a twist on the road. He had to abort and almost caused a serious accident. What do you do with people like this? They have no regard for themselves or for other road users, including cyclists. I was the third car so I witnessed the shameful manoeuvre first hand.

I am so sorry for Charlie, his colleagues at Ayre and his family of course. Truly one of the shining lights of the high end. We will miss his genius.

DangerousKitchen and bhazen like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Charlie was always a source of inspiration and knowledge. RIP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.