New Hawkwind (1970-1974) Box Set Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Thanks guys! I'll check 'em out! (listening to Spacehawks now, at work, on Youtube).

What is generally considered their best album of the past twenty years? That might be a good place to start.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Not sure there is a consensus about their strongest album post warrior on the edge of time.Spacehawks is a nice sampler for their most recent output and the live album love in space is a pretty good sample of their mid-90s sound.

3. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

The title of this thread is starting to annoy me - the March bit - as mine seems to be taking an age to get to Texas. It's now April. :-(

4. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

If you've not heard it, the Hawlords album 25 Years is worth a listen, in a similar vein to QS&C, and Calvert is still on board. Once he left, I lost interest. Although I've heard his first two solo efforts, I've never shelled out for his later albums. Should I?

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I like Electric Tepee, though it's a bit more than 20 years old now. It's a nice bridge between their 80s sound and the more electronic stuff they did in the early 2000s.

Pete Puma and Sequenzer like this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Any comparisons with the new masterings in the box vs. the One Way CDs?

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Man, I finally broke down and bought this. There are a couple of Amazon marketplace sellers selling it cheap. I got mine for $35 shipped. Considering I didn't have Greasy Truckers Party at all, it's pretty easy to justify.

8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have a copy of the set in my cart for about the same price as 'save for later' but have wavered on pulling the trigger. One of these paychecks...

9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Got mine from Deutschland today!

10. old school

old school Senior Member

I got mine from a Amazon marketplace seller fulfilled by Amazon for $ 40.00. Very happy nice set!

11. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

$35.00 with shipping from Amazon seller! Can't wait!!! :D

12. Someone has posted these new disks on the DR database so you can at least compare the compression. Theses cds are slightly more compressed than the EMI remasters, but no noise reduction this time that I can hear, and the EQ choices work for me. It appears the Space Ritual mastering is the same as the 2001 remaster (well, the DR values match at least).http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=hawkwind&album=

Dino likes this.
  13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Mine came from Amazon.de yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I only had time to play one disc - I randomly picked and got "Mountain Grill" and as it's the first time I've had it on cd and my vinyl is 20 years gone I've got no complaints with the sound at all. Packaging and info in the box is pretty basic but for the price it's not something I'm going to make a fuss about.

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Finally got mine from Germany today. Very nice!

15. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Alien 4 is one of the latter ones that is pretty great. Havn't seen it mentioned yet, I'd call it essential. Still waiting for mine from Germany but from the feedback here sounds like I'm in for a treat!

16. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I got my copy from Germany late last week and I've steadily going through it. I like what I hear so far. I only have US vinyl pressings of these albums, so I have no other CDs to compare these to with the exception of Doremi FaSol Latido, but I haven't gotten to that one yet. Only listened up to Greasy Truckers Party, but so far so good.

17. Any more thoughts on the sound of the remastered disks in this set?

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

No thoughts on the sound quality (out of my range of expertise), but I'm thrilled to finally have the S/T album--it's way better than I would have imagined based on mnay lukewarm reviews over the years.

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

S/T album has some great moments. I grabbed the Men With Beards LP maybe a year ago and had that same 'wow this is way better than I expected' moment then.

jpmosu likes this.
  20. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Finally got mine and so far have listened to the Singles Disk, DRMFSLTD and half of Space Ritual and my initial impressions are they really sounded great. Crankable, not brickwalled. . Artwork - Ok similar to the B.O.C. box.

21. airstreamdriver

airstreamdriver Forum Resident

I'm still ploughing my way through the set and so far I'm pleased with the masterings, though not previously having any of these albums on CD makes it impossible to compare to previous editions. The one exception so far -- and it's pretty notable -- is the original single mix of "Silver Machine" on the singles disc. Absolutely dreadful! Listening to it on headphones is painful -- massive noise and seemingly digital distortion in the high end, like it was mastered from a compressed mp3. Surely I'm not the only one who's hearing this?

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Could you rip it and post a waveform? A spectrogram might be more useful in this case, so if you can do both.....

23. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I would heartily agree with this. Freq is a great album and is the Calvert solo project I enjoy the most. Don't expect it to sound a whole lot like Hawkwind though because it doesn't..!

I'm slightly obsessed with Robert Calvert to be honest. I absolutely love the Hawkwind/Hawklords/Sonic Assassins stuff and, whilst his solo projects are mind bogglingly varied I would certainly recommend the Captain Lockheed album (Hawkwind meets the Bonzo's), Freq and, to a lesser extent, Test Tube Conceived.

Luck Lief grates on me for its cod-reggae stylings and Hype, whilst containing a few decent songs, doesn't really work for me for some reason. I do like the single version of Lord Of The Hornets though (and its B-side, The Greenfly And The Rose).

I wish he was still around today and shaking things up!

ciderglider likes this.
  24. airstreamdriver

I'm not presently equipped with software for making a spectrogram, what do you recommend? Otherwise, I've ripped the file to a 320k mp3 if you want to listen for yourself: http://we.tl/yNPBn13evC

25. airstreamdriver

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here's one of each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can also post or send you an mp3 rip if that will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.