New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably, but I've seen some KT88 amps that run pretty hot!

2. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

GPA,

What is your impression on the NFB and what have you or your customers found to be the ideal selection?

Thanks again,
    IDT

3. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a couple pictures of my setup. My LM 518IA has plenty of room to breathe, and it does get warm. When I had separates I owned a Rogue Audio Stereo 100 and ARC Reference 75 previously, and they both got warm as well. I listen to my 518 almost every evening, and the temperature in my living room is never a problem.

4. GoldprintAudio

Thanks for posting this! ..... Do you find that the top shelf gets warm at all?

5. GoldprintAudio

Since I've not spent a lot of time with a 508 yet, I'm not 100% sure on this. But, from the brief time I had a demo unit here, I think I preferred the sound with it set at zero (this was with a pair of DeVore 0/96 speakers). I would like to play around with this a little more however.

6. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

That's a beautiful system I bet it sounds amazing. Congrats!

IanL likes this.
  7. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The bottom of the top shelf does get warm, so this weekend I'm going to drop the middle shelf down about three inches. This way the 518 has a little more space to vent.

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  8. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Thank you. I've enjoyed this setup more then any I've had previously, and that is saying something considering there used to be 2 Audio Research Reference components in the rack. The LM 518IA and my Daedalus Audio speakers just have an amazing synergy together.

9. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Sweet

Long Live Analog likes this.
  10. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

Nice System! If you have the space, bring your speakers out from the front wall at least 36-48" would improve depth, imaging and coherence.

Similar to my set-up; I'm using Acoustic Zen Crescendos

11. PixelPlay

PixelPlay Forum Resident

Wow, looks amazing. Has anyone compared the 508, 219 to the 503pa?

12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've got the space and a wife, so they stay put when listening with the family at home. When listening sans family, I have markings on the floor to bring them out about 38" from the front wall. I consider myself lucky that my wife somewhat enjoys having the stereo in the living room at all. I sell it as teaching my boys about music and good sound quality.

Benjamin Reed, Guss2 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

What great wives we have that allow us to enjoy such a wonderful hobby! I would love to pull my speakers out a bit as well but too many little ones... May be joining the LM family soon.

IDTs

IanL likes this.
  14. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

What pre-amp/amp combo and speakers are you currently running?

15. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

Vitus RI-100 Integrated amp with a Mod-Wright Sony 5400 ES CD Player with Acoustic Zen Crescendos Loudspeakers which sounds beautiful but ever since I sold my Vac 160I Integrated KT 88 Tube amp, I'm missing the involvement, tone, mid-bass and bloom only tube amp can provide so the 508ia is on my list...

IanL and GoldprintAudio like this.
  16. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

So when I decided to sell my ARC separates and find an integrated to replace them, it was long journey. I demoed integrated amps from Accuphase, Pass Labs, Modwright, Vitus, Audio Research, PrimaLuna, Sugden, Rogue Audio, Sim Audio, Naim, BAT, Melody Audio, and Line Magnetic. In the end, the 518IA was the winner because of the way it connected me emotionally to the music. It's one of those, you know it when you hear it kind of things. Good luck with your demos.

SandAndGlass, IanL and james like this.
  17. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

The 518IA was the route I was taking until I read about the 508IA which have those wonderful 300b driver tubes and twice the power. Thanks again for your reply and I'm awaiting the shipments of 508IA to arrive next month. I'm sure it's going to be many sleepless night staying up late listening to aid in the hours needed for complete burn-in.

Have you upgraded your IEC fuse? How do you upload pictures on this site?

IDT

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    GoldprintAudio likes this.
  18. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

To load photos, you need to use Dropbox or something of the like. You can then share your photos via URL to this site.

I have not upgraded the fuse yet, but plan to in the near future.

19. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

20. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

iam still curious how many ampere the 508 fuse is
    thanks

21. GoldprintAudio

Sorry, I don't have a unit here now to check....but when the next shipment gets in, I have another 508 coming for a demo unit and I'll try to remember to look for you.

22. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

yes thanks it will be very helpful, i am the personm who believe in audiophile fuse like hifituning and infinity power 3 it bring a not subtle improvement for my cayin tube amp

23. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

I use them in ALL of my electronics! Went from Audio Horizon to Synergistic Research Black and it's without questions a remarkable difference after burn-in and correct fuse orientation.

24. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

I love the silver finish as well but I can live with the black finish especially after hearing that it sounds SO wonderful! I can't even imagine how it's going to sound since I was quite impressed with a push-pull design utilizing KT88s... I also have some nice NOS 6SN7 that I can experiment with but the Shuguang CV181 offers most and in many cases surpass my NOSs.

Now, I've got to read up on 300b and 6LS7s:)

25. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

Hopefully, it will be a 10A since I have two of them to experiment with: Audio Horizon and Synergistic Research Black...

IDTs