Project P2 or Rega Planner 1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sgt Pepper, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the project P2 (bit long in the tooth) fitted with an Ortofon 510mkII cartridge, but i have been reading very good reports of the Rega P1 with Rega Carbon Cartridge........... do I upgrade my cartridge or purchase the Rega, any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Sgt Pepper

anyone? :confused:

3. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

The Rega Planar 1 is base entry level. Not sure you'd get anything out of going to a $475 base model TT. Read my review of Thorens TD203 I posted here last night. It's a $1000 TT reduced to $675 and comes with a $250 Ortofon 2M Blue cart. That would be much better choice at that price point.

4. Sgt Pepper

Last try.:cry:

5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Probably a lateral move...i would save up and buy a Rega P3.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

A Planar 2 is a big step up from the Planar 1. You get a heavy 10mm thick glass platter and a much better tonearm.

Fishoutofwater and Sgt Pepper like this.
  7. Sgt Pepper

Ah Right, I have that on my P2 so might be better sticking with that then.:)

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Do you a Rega or a Pro-Ject? I have no idea what a Pro-Ject P2 is. Pro-Ject has names like Essential and Debut. Rega has always used a version of the Planar. i.e. Planar x, then Px, RPx, and now back to Planar x (Px). Pro-Ject only starts being competitive with Rega once you step up to the Classic and Signature product lines.

I think what has been suggested is that, if you have a Pro-Ject, then new Planar 1 isn't much of an upgrade. And the Planar 2 isn't much of one either, but it's definitely better then the lower and mid tier Pro-Jects. Both Regas come with the Carbon, which is really just a cheap AT cart with a fancy stylus. The carbon isn't anything special, it's just cheap. And turntables in their price range need to come with a pre-installed cart to be competitive in the starter deck market. If they actually added a real Rega cart, the deck wouldn't be competitively priced. That's why they offer the Performance Pack upgrade for $200. This allows you to increment the Rega experience. The Performance Pack can also be transferred from the Planar 1 if you decide to upgrade to the Planar 2 or 3, with only overlap on the mat for the Planar 3.

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The Pro-Ject P2 was a pretty long time ago (1990s?), but it's not too different from the more recent Pro-Ject and Music Hall turntables. It's about like a MMF-2.2. Maybe the platter is about like the MMF-5? Probably a little better turntable than the Rega.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  10. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Am I reading you right when you say that a Rega Planar 2 is definitely better than mid tier Pro-ject tables such as the 2Xperience SB and RPM 5 carbon? Sorry but I just can't agree with that and it makes me wonder if you have ever heard any mid tier Pro-ject TTs? I used to own both a Rega P3 and a Rotel RP-855 fitted with a RB300 arm. The Rotel sounded better than the P3 in my set-up so I kept it and sold the P3. The Rotel recently died a death and was replaced with a new Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic. As much as I liked that old Rotel there was no denying that the Pro-ject has the better sonics...nuff said really!

PhxJohn likes this.
  11. Sgt Pepper

It's this one:

12. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

P2?

Just get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC

Look around and you will get one on special. A 2M Red cartridge will be great if you love the top end.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  13. Sgt Pepper

14. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

You are paying more for the aesthetics. I know it is nice to own a vintage looking player, but, you will regret it in this case I think.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  15. Sgt Pepper

Beginning to go down the line of just upgrading the cart in my P2.

16. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Whats your budget mate?

17. Sgt Pepper

Much less than I originally thought at around £300.

18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

That could get you a Goldring 1012GX.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  19. Sgt Pepper

Have heard many great things about the Goldring , Bob. I can also upgrade my present cart (Ortofon 510mk II) by purchasing the 540 stylus.

Stylus 540 MkII

20. Marshall_SLX

yeah i reckon spend the lot on a cart and look to upgrade the TT later

21. Marshall_SLX

What does an ortofon bronze cost in UK

22. Rattlin' Bones

Why does everyone limit their choices to Pro-Ject, Music Hall (seems both of those are virtually same in many cases), or Rega in this price range? Rega Planar 2 with el-cheapo cart? Really?? A quality refurb oldie TT, a new Thorens TD203 at current price, etc. are better choices if OP wants to upgrade. Or spend $1,600 on a ClearAudio or $1,000 on Pro-Ject Classic. Nothing else is an upgrade from what he currently has.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. Sgt Pepper

24. Rattlin' Bones

I had a Rega Planar 2. For one weekend. Received it on Friday and motor made clicking sound. Ran it all day and nite. Saturday morning still clicking. Packed up and returned Saturday evening. Pretty horrible quality control. They obviously don't test the final product before packing and shipping.

25. Marshall_SLX

A new TD203 is not doable for 300 pounds... an upgraded Rega P2 is and for my money would go rather close in performance if it had a subplatter, endstub and a counterweight.

Im in Australia but i just saw a 90s P3 with an RB700, 24 volt upgrade motor and an ortofon rondo red for $500 AUD thats 300 pounds roughly and would be a cracking table that would be the equal of many a higher priced table. So the used deals are out there if you search hard and be patient.

I would still think getting a brand new cart for 200 - 300 pounds would be the best option for the OP.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.