Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I think the harder thing to do would be to simply say her parents are dead and have no relation to anybody, and it was just a fluke that she managed to inherit a great deal of the Force. I think it's a little too conveeeeeenient for her to be related to Obiwan or Luke or Leia or anybody we already know.

But it's already been widely speculated that John Boyega's character may be related to Lando Kalrissian. Although again, let's assume there are lots of other black people in this universe, so that theory is not guaranteed. On the other hand, it has been rumored that Billy Dee Williams will be in the next film...

I think it's very telling that J.J. Abrams bailed on doing any more Star Wars movies after the first one, and my guess is that one reason is because there are a lot of cooks in that kitchen. I think there are many Disney execs who are making very sure the movie they get is exactly the one they paid for and the one their "research" indicates audiences want.

Bear in mind this is the same studio that made John Carter and Lone Ranger... :sigh:

2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I actually like that title because wasn't Luke training all the Jedi in those missing years when it all went bad, now that the dark side has risen again, Luke will need help in defeating the dark side from gaining too much ground. We know there has to be some other new characters introduced in the next episode who have to join in because it can't just be Rey, Luke and Finn fighting the dark side. There also has to be a new theme surrounding the next episode that will tie into the title of the next episode and "The Jedi Strikes Back" sounds like an appropriate theme title.

3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah and part of me is both excited and also nervous about this next episode. I was happy with how TFA turned out and I think it's been a great success however if you thought TFA was an important episode, the next one will be the game changer and it has to be....no it MUST be a successful episode in the next Star Wars saga, if it's a flop then Disney is toast...so much is riding on this next episode.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Oh, wouldn't that be nice?

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that Kasdan is already credited as an executive producer of Star Wars VIII. Rian Johnson contractually is credited as writer and director. Johnson has said before in the past that he has zero interest in directing a film that he didn't also write.

6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I really hope that's not the direction they go. To me, that would seem like there can only be one black family in the universe. Finn is a very distinct character in his own right and tying him to Lando would, I think, feel kind of gratuitous.

LivingForever and Bryan like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Agreed. I've been saying this and will keep saying it until it's hopefully debunked in the movies.

8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It seems to be a re-occurring theme, they showed Finn as a baby so who is his parents and where did he come from? The same for Rey, she was dropped off by who and who are her parents and where does she come from? 2 of the main characters and we still don't know much about them as they just appeared.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Did it matter who Han Solo's parents were? Lando's? Obi-Wan's?

Over-explaining is one of the things that caused the prequels to be so bad.

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Well one of the reasons or the need to want to know is Rey has unleashed Jedi powers so did she come to exist as anakin? And why show us the flashback of her being left as a child if it's not important to know her past?

11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Okay, sorry, I was referring only to Finn in my comments. I'm fine with them explaining Rey's origins because they've obviously set that up as a mystery to be revealed.

Finn, on the other hand, can just be Finn. I don't need to know his whole backstory and origins, just as I didn't need to know it for Han Solo in the original trilogy.

marblesmike likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I recall reading somewhere that Finn was written without an actor's ethnicity in mind, and I think there's concept art out there where he's white. Doesn't mean someone can't decide now to make him Lando's kid, but he wasn't planned that way.

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Well, that galaxy, technically. :)

I agree, though, it feels rather forced (no pun intended) to have the one black character in this movie be the son of the one black character in the last batch.

There were black characters in the prequel, like Captain Panaka (head of the Naboo security force). Heck there were even black storm troopers A New Hope!
    [​IMG]

Peace N. Love likes this.
  14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Don't forget Mace Windu either!

David Campbell likes this.
  15. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

What is everyone's thoughts on what Kylo Ren will look like in episode VIII? Do you think he will have the same look, same mask and cape look or will he turn into more of a Darth Vader helmut where it comes down on the sides and back? I'm assuming that since he will be going through additional training will we likely see a much different Kylo?

16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Seeing as Rey slashed him across the face with her lightsaber, It's a high possibility that he will have a nasty scar and thus retreat more into the mask. In other words you may not see him remove his mask as much this time.

Visually I don't think he changes much. Just some very minor alterations similar to the changed Vader from EPISODE IV to EPISODE V that you wouldn't notice upon a single viewing.

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

As far as I could tell, he left the mask on the catwalk - which is why he wasn't wearing it in his duel(s) at the end. I'd kinda prefer it if he spent more time out of the mask myself. Adam Driver is a strong enough actor that he doesn't need to hide behind the mask to be menacing (in my opinion).

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Finn Windu, the secret love (grand)child of Mace Windu. ;)

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

He'll definitely have a big scar on his face. I think his overall costume will be pretty much the same. I'm up in the air about whether he'll keep the mask or not. I think probably yes, because that mask is already iconic from being on the packaging of every current Star Wars product. I'm guessing he'll still take it off a few times. I know if I was Adam Driver I'd be pushing for that. If he's going to have the mask on the entire time, why even have a name actor play the role?

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I suspect he'll have less poofy hair.

21. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Kylo with the mask, pretty bad-ass. Sort of a mini-me Darth Vader. Kylo *without* the mask, looks like the kid that fixes my burrito at Moe's Southwestern Grill.

Rian Johnson, keep the mask on. However, as Abrams has already let us look behind the proverbial curtain, too late.

Song4U likes this.
  22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I think he took the mask off 1 too many times. When he was with Rey he should have pretended to take it off by releasing the vacuume clip but then put it back on, it would have been much more effective. It would have made the audience say darn I wanted to see him take it off. But I'm glad he took it off for the Han scene.

daca likes this.
  23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Is Kylo Ren's scar in the same location as Anakin's in Revenge of the Sith? If so, I could see that being a conscious choice (Luke/Vader hand cut off, Ren's becoming Vader, etc.)

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

As mentioned elsewhere, it might have been too much in the scene. We would be focusing on what was under the mask, and not on what was taking place.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No Harrison Ford.

So is Harrison Ford not in 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' after all? »

"Star Wars: Episode VIII...welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis," the site stated. "New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.