The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG] DVD-Much, much better than expected...

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

9/27 & 9/28/76

3. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

From The Mars Hotel is a favorite I play often. Unbroken Chain is one of there classic's. Phil Lesh hit that one out of the park.

bzfgt, ianuaditis and clgoss77 like this.
  4. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Best "Feel Like A Stranger" ever, IMO. These guys could flat out rock with the best of them, and this is proof. This one just smokes!

5. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I checked out Dark Star Orchestra last week in San Diego, it was fun, nothing spectacular, a 90's show I think

Here at home the 72 Oregon Creamery Benefit vinyl version has been getting a lot of spins- it goes great with this beautiful spring weather!!

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

12/12/69. Listening to hear how much the found reel could help the first set. And I wish they'd have stopped Bobby from telling the Yellow Dog joke ad nauseum during these '69 and '70 shows.

Scopitone, Zafu, wavethatflag and 3 others like this.
  7. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Broke out Big Rock Pow Wow '69 (RT 4.1) this morning in anticipation of the new Dave's Picks.

Doin That Rag > He Was A Friend of Mine > China Cat > Eleven > Death Don't Have No Mercy !!

DS > SS > 11 > Lovelight !!

Alligator > Drums > SS > Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight !!

Zafu, ianuaditis and DrLunchbox like this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I'm really groovin' on Anthem of the Sun lately, especially after reading the chapter in Phil Lesh's autobio Searching for the Sound about how they made the album as a tightly segued collage of live and studio tracks and how its layered tracks were influenced by a performance at Carnegie Hall of Leopold Stokowski conducting Charles Ives' 4th Symphony.

Zafu, ianuaditis and GerryO like this.
  9. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have been listening over and over as well as repeatedly to Mickey's two recent studio albums. Superorganism brings the rhythm of life to the music while Mysterium Tremendum sonifies the universe. Terrific new songs, great vocals and music. Some sort of Mickified recording techniques make both TOTAL audiophile treats along with just cool, infectious tunes. Total mindworm. If you haven't heard them, check 'em out!

Zafu, talkingleaf, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  10. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Spring '90
    Winterland '77

Zafu likes this.
  11. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

Mostly Jerry Band, which is unusual for me Completely contrary to my tastes in Dead, I seem to be gravitating towards the post-coma years...

Scopitone likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have been listening to disc 3 of Sunshine Daydream and disc 3 of the So Many Roads box set.

Zafu, agn and #OneOccupation like this.
  13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gonna check those out. The only tune I know is Slow Joe Rain, and I dig it - not Deadish at all, but I like...

14. JRM

OK I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks that Stranger is ripping. They absolutely nail it, right to the last note. I've already relistened to it a few times since stumbling across it...

GerryO likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll but out some dead next week before easter but no clue what

16. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Based on some recommendations here, I decided to give some a fair listen - starting with AOTS and Live Dead. Will give WD and AB a chance in a day or so.

It's okay...I guess. Really enjoy the studio fiddling on Anthem. Live Dead...meh, I haven't completed listening yet.

17. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I love that album. The original lp sounds fantastic, as does the silver MFSL release.

goodboyfred likes this.
  18. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Whoa...what a haul! I can't believe you got that MFSL Mars Hotel for $3!!!

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Aoxomoxoa original mix

(What was Garcia thinking on the remix??)
    aoxom.jpg

20. JRM

Trey sat in with ABB at Wanee Fest tonight and played Franklins Tower. Carry on.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Erik B. likes this.
  21. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Nope, not Deadish at all but still in the same spirit, and Mickey's got the beat for sure. I have taken both of these discs to hi-fi shows and blown people away with the sound quality. there is something about the recording technique that results in a very broad soundstage. The vocals from Crystal are really spooky. I couldn't believe she could do them live until I saw Mickey's band here in Baltimore. The guitarist is very good and a great singer as well. I LOVE both of these albums. wish they would come out on hi rez.

22. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Those green W7 labeled versions sound so good!

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not even a fan, but the thread title got my attention and I just wanted to say this is an excellent idea for a thread (for any group frankly, but especially for one with so many official and unofficial releases). Have fun!

wrappedinsky and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

10/19/73

Complier and mgb70 like this.
  25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

After all the conjecture last week about what would truly be on Dave #10, the inevitable talk about a Cornell release reminded me that I had only listened to the May, 77 box once since receiving it. Just working through it again. Truly excellent stuff.