The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i love that boxset.

i am behind and need to get the grateful dead movie soundtrack thats 5 discs

2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I listen more to '71 on, but wholeheartedly endorse DP 22 for primal era.

GerryO, JRM and xTraPlaylists like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at those Vegas shows. I have never heard it since, but the Sunday show does stand out as probably the best show I saw that year (I did not go east for Fall tour, but heard that some of those were quite good to). Sunday was a noticeably thinner crowd that year, and the Morning Dew that night seemed pretty epic at the time. I have never listened to a recording of the show, so not sure how it holds up.
    t

5. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

april 84, 30th anniv of that. the 4/21 help-slip-frank sequence is absolutely a top 5 vers

Jerquee likes this.
  6. JRM

7. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The most recent shows I gave a listen to are the 10-23/24-1971, Detroit Eastown Theater performances. Great sounding soundboards of both concerts circulate. The 10-24-71 show in particular was especially enjoyable!

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have been listening to American Beauty. ATTICS OF MY LIFE is so beautiful. Harmonies that would make Brian Wilson blush. I wonder why they didn't pursue that direction after that short period around 1970 (Workingmans Dead too, and Garcia have great harmonies).
    Did the drugs take over? Vocally the Dead became lazy after this great period.
    I cannot wait for the new MOFI discs!

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

are you the same Chewy that posts on Organissimo.org ?

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I think WD and AB are gateway drugs to the Grateful Dead. Next you know, you've got hundreds of live shows downloaded from lma traders den and shnflac

ianuaditis and SOONERFAN like this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That may be true but I would say those two albums are the Dead 's masterpieces. The centerpiece of thier whole studio output.

ianuaditis and SOONERFAN like this.
  12. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

Reckoning Bonus disc from the Golden Road box. Love the "To Lay Me Down" and " Sage & Spirit".

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  13. JRM

I need to get that too. Is the 5 disc box content the same as what's on the Blu Ray disc?

14. Matthew Tate

i believe the dvd/blu ray has 1 song not on the 5 cd set. not sure if the dvd/blu ray has everything thats on the 5 cd set though

15. Matthew Tate

i just ordered the grateful dead movie soundtrack from this great new program at my work. we started a points program and there is a catalog to order from online. catalog is limited but all i have to do is pay tax for the item so it cost me a handful of dollars. lets see how the shipping process,etc goes. my guess its done through amazon

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

This morning I'm playing FLAC files of the outstanding AUD/SBD matrix of August 6, 1974. God that Playing In The Band > Scarlet Begonias > Playing In The Band sandwich is amazing. Really shows how they could just turn on a dime during the single drummer period. I also love when Keith played Fender Rhodes - his playing reminds me a lot of Herbie Hancock's electric work with Miles Davis.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  17. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Took the Reckoning from the Golden Road boxset to Florida with me to play in the car when my Dad was driving us around. I have to try to sneak in my Dead listening under his nose when I can. Reckoning is perfect for that. He doesn't know what he's listening to until it's too late :evil:

ianuaditis and Erik B. like this.
  18. JRM

That disc of DiP 31 is one of my favorite of all the Dicks Picks. Is that the only time a PITB/Scarlet sandwich happened? In the early years Scarlet was mostly a stand alone tune in the first set right?

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Saratoga Performing Arts Ctr. 6/24/84 has been in heavy rotation lately. They opened the first "old school" Dancing in the Streets since the early `70s. As good as the SPAC `85 show was, I actually prefer this one, great energy and playing ! They actually did TWO encores that night.

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  20. JRM

Listening to Jerry cover Jesse Winchester this morning...

21. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Holy crap - I had no idea that Jerry covered this song. I just know Tom Rush's cover and it's one of my favorites. Thanks.

JRM likes this.
  22. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

We are everywhere moment @ The Masters. Jonas Blixt caddy has Steal Your Face shirt under his caddy jumpsuit!!

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes.

24. Great Greatful Dead

[​IMG]

Ace ~ Bob Weir (Warner Bros)

dajokr likes this.
  25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Another Jesse Winchester song.............

rockinlazys and JRM like this.