Believe - new NBC series (2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I can tell you right now that neither of these shows (Resurrection or Believe) are nearly as good as the french series "The Returned", that one is on a whole 'nother level.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yeah, Believe is failing me, I'll probably bail as well. Too bad as I have liked the two male leads in other shows, and thought that if given the right reign and material. . . but alas this does not seem to be it.

3. I thought they did a pretty good job with Resurrection but I think the show might have stayed true to the original French version if it were on one of the cable channels vs. the networks. It does, however, follow the book fairly closely so far.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Again, the American novel and the French TV show (The Revenants) are completely different and are not related to each other. The American TV show is taken from the American novel. And there's also a 2005 Korean TV show called Resurrection, but it's not related to anything.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, the female assassin (Sienna Guillory) was the best thing about the pilot. But I looked at IMDB and she's not listed as appearing in any other episodes. That's a drag.

6. progrocker71

They Came Back (French film - 2004) - the dead start returning all over the world
    Les Revenants (French series - 2012) - the dead start returning in a single town
    The Returned (American novel - 2013) - the dead start returning all over the world
    Resurrected (US TV series - 2014) - the dead start returning in a single town

Starting to see a pattern here?

The US series may say they aren't borrowing from the French series but even in the pilot episode there were some direct lifts.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  7. You're right. Not sure why I thought the two were related. Either way, the TV show follows the novel quite closely so far (according to my wife--I didn't read it. I'm locked into reading some nonfiction at the moment).

Curious how the same ideas end up showing up for different series at the same time (and novel). I enjoyed the French show and that certainly explains why it was so radically different.

8. Vidiot

Eh... I think they also stole from the bad cable show The 4400, a 2004-2007 USA Network series. That was about 4400 people who had been abducted over the past 60-70 years, then suddenly returned looking exactly as they were the day they disappeared. The reaction of their friends and family are uncannily similar to what's happening in Resurrected.

Believe,
    though, is more of a steal of Touch, Heroes, and a few other "superpowered human" shows. I'd have to sit down and think about it, but there certainly have been a bunch of them in recent years.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. progrocker71

[quote="Vidiot, post: 10231684, member: 13586]

Believe,
    though, is more of a steal of Touch, Heroes, and a few other "superpowered human" shows. I'd have to sit down and think about it, but there certainly have been a bunch of them in recent years.[/quote]

I mentioned earlier that it shares a lot of similarities with Firestarter as well.

10. Vidiot

And I'd say there are also elements of Believe with the Mutants in X-Men, which started as a comic book 50 years ago. There's a very deep well when it comes to children (or at least young people) who have uncontrollable powers and are wanted by evil government people for nefarious reasons. Fringe also covered this very well in several episodes they did in the 1990s, where a few afflicted children got carted off to secret government facilities for scientific experiments.

carrick doone likes this.
  11. I actually think that The 4400 started off really good but as it progressed it became kind of bad.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. I keep trying but what a mediocre terrible show. Each week I watch this and Hannibal and that show pulls me in and I'm the edge of my seat. But Not this one which had one dimensional writing acting and directing. Oy.

13. Vidiot

Kind of? It was a total piece of crap. Sadly, I stuck with that one to the end, too. It went hilariously off the rails at times, like when Billy Campbell abruptly decided to leave the show so the actor could travel around the world on a boat, so they temporarily killed him with an assassin's bullet, only to just as abruptly bring him back when his vacation ended. Totally bizarre.

Believe has already fallen into a rut, and I hate that the show has just become "who is the ESP/telekinetic kid going to help this week?" I'm amazed the producers didn't realize that Touch tackled the exact same territory and failed miserably.

14. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

It feels like X-Men lite to me. I believe I am done with this show. See what I did there...?

15. I caught it intermittently and never saw the last couple of seasons completely. At that point I had jumped ship until the final episode.

I gave Believe a chance and it wasn't bad per se just predictable. Not sure I'm going to invest my time.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The shows concept does not appeal to me. >Lost <on the other hand .....if the producers had stretched the series for a couple of more seasons ,well. :)

17. Vidiot

They could've shut me up by explaining all the unexplained stuff in another 5-6 episodes. But noooooooooo... :realmad:

But at the same time, I get that when you explain too much, it becomes a lot of long, boring exposition without enough action. So there is a point beyond which you have to concentrate on drama instead of covering what happened 5-6 years ago. I suspect Believe is going to end before they ever get into that kind of situation. It's sad that filmmakers of the caliber of J.J. Abrams and Alfonso Cuaron didn't figure out what the audience wanted for this show.

BTW, the girl has kind of become a smart-ass, annoying character. I actually feel sorry for the guy in the show, who is constantly trying to protect her, only for the girl to jump up and rush out into danger, forcing the guy to get into trouble. And they're dragging out the whole reveal that the guy is actually her father, which could radically change the dynamic of the show.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

They should have hired you, pity.

19. Vidiot

Naaaa, I'm too much of a loudmouth.

20. alexpop

Someone voice has to be heard amongst the lost babble.

21. This show is terrible and goes nowhere.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I bailed about ten minutes into episode 3. Shame. I like many of these actors.

23. Vidiot

I'm constantly yelling at the set on certain shows, usually, "hurry up and DO something!" The lack of forward motion in stories is a huge problem with a lot of TV shows; you can tell a lot of times they're just treading water. The formulaic nature of the plots on this show is killing them.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.