Piper At The Gates of Dawn best (affordable) vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Buddhahat, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to get a copy of this. Can't afford an original so was hoping it was reissued in mono for the 4oth anniversary but it doesn't look like this is the case. In fact, looks like any mono reissue is going to be too dear for me (£65 +).

There's apparently a Columbia stereo reissue (SCX 6157)

or a Fame one (FA 3065)

Anyone able to comment on the quality of these?

Any info on the above or other suggestions much appreciated - thanks!

2. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I've got a 1st press UK of A Nice Pair that sounds great and is well regarded on the forum.

clgoss77 likes this.
  3. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Indeed. I have a US Harvest pressing of A Nice Pair that sounds just fine to me. Much cheaper than hunting down a clean copy of Piper.

4. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I second this suggestion of finding the 2 lp UK "A Nice Pair." It's a stereo pressing of Piper, but I think it sounds amazing. Plus you'll get a "bonus" UK lp of Saucerful of Secrets as well. :)

[​IMG]

If you're looking for CD instead of vinyl, I really like the deluxe 3-CD set that came out a few years ago that includes stereo, mono, and rarities.

[​IMG]

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

A Nice Pair is the way to go. If you want the original artwork, there are some 80s pressings that are decent.

But yeah, I agree, they should have reissued it. It bothers me so many bands are sitting on so much of their catalogs that would otherwise be consistent vinyl sellers.

6. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

7. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks all for this info.

I had overlooked a Nice Pair as I read that it substituted the studio Astronomy Domine for the live version but looks like that's just the US version.

I'd never been into Piper but something clicked recently and I cannot stop listening to it. I finally understand why everyone goes on about the 'genius' of Syd Barrett now!

Billy_Sunday, bleachershane and Linto like this.
  8. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Being in the UK, you should have a much better chance of tracking down the UK Nice Pair than here in the US. I got lucky when one popped up on discogs a couple of months ago for about $30 shipped.

Buddhahat likes this.
  9. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I'm in the middle of my Harvest/Capitol copy, do the original UK LPs or the UK of this record have a bottom end? Not much 'hump' in what I'm hearing.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The UK versions are superior to the USA versions, UK Columbia best, the earlier the pressing, the better the pressing. Mono best. Not cheap, but sorry there is no real alternative if the best is desired.

AppleBlossome88 and Ken E. like this.
  11. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Thanks, I don't recall ever seeing one here; the only place I would trust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.