What is Hi-Fi, Mid-Fi, and Low-Fi ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RonW, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I thought Hi Fidelity means something that can reproduce sound accurately? By that definition you can have expense Lo Fi equipment that colors the sound so it is pleasing but inaccurate.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  2. missan

missan Forum Resident

As I see it the most natural sound and also most pleasing is live acoustic sound. There is no possible way to reproduce this sound accurate, what can be done is producing it more or less accurate. That is why I think of reproduced sound as different shades of grey, and you can pick the shade you like the most. In principle, I see no way to produce this natural sound more pleasing than it naturally is.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The terms are notional, variable and on occasion nonsensical.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This is High Fidelity:

Adam9 likes this.
  5. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Lo-Fi: The crap the other guy has that you'd never waste your money on, nor step foot in the store he bought it from.

Hi-Fi: What you think you own.

Mid-Fi: What you actually own.

mr clean, pscreed, Ntotrar and 8 others like this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having read through this and also having examined the true definition of "Hi-Fidelity" or "Hi Fi", it appears that the terms Mid-Fi and Low-Fi really have no meaning or place relative to what Hi-Fidelity actually is.

I see that confirmed in many posts I have read. Anyways, thanks for the many varied responses as I now see where this is all coming from.

Ron

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You may be correct as to "the letter", but I though that, perhaps, "the spirit" of the inquiry was to investigate how those terms might be used to refer to different levels of audio gear (and their relative capability to resolve musical detail). I suggested earlier that none of us are calibrated with one another, so it's not easy to nail this down. We sometimes use the term "mid-fi" to refer to gear that is not quite capable of gear that we think of as able to deliver appreciably greater fidelity. Denon/Polk is a mid-fi example. That's the level of gear that most of us first strived for. Some vintage gear would now fall into this category. There is nothing inherently wrong with this gear. It is designed to a price point and some is better that others, but the next step up should represent quite an impressive leap. So yeah, money is involved. Save up. Buy better gear. My journey has been ongoing in fits and starts for over 20 years. Some aren't interested in a "journey" of this nature. Some have other priorities. Some perhaps don't have the savings (or credit). No big deal. It's not a competition.

8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I'm with Steve that Hi-Fi is not about money. And I still maintain that "mid-fi" is a purely pejorative term.

When I think "hi-fi", this guy is not the first thing that comes to my mind:

[​IMG]

BrokenByAudio, sami, RonW and 2 others like this.
  9. Alice Wonder

Alice Wonder Active Member

I believe there was an attempt to standardize hi-fi at one point, e.g. equipment could only carry a logo if it met certain specs - but it didn't catch on.

jupiterboy and RonW like this.
  10. RonW

I'm not sure how money entered the discussion but I do agree it has no place.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Speakers and electronics capable of the highest fidelity costs more than entry level hi-fi gear, so this is used as a red herring or other logical fallacy with the intent of shaming those who dare invest more than a given, "acceptable" amount. So yeah, in that contect, money has no place.

BrokenByAudio and Alice Wonder like this.
  12. Alice Wonder

Alice Wonder Active Member

It's also not just about the audio. Brand new there are many cables where I can't tell the difference. 3 years later it may easy because cheaper ones have started failing. And not just cables, things like cheaper capacitors in electronics may do the job fine brand new but have a high failure rate within a 2 year period.

Build quality is important too.

jh901 likes this.
  13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

lofi: mono
    midfi: stereo
    hifi: surround
    :D:D

14. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

lofi: MP3
    midfi: CD
    hifi: LP playback/High resolution files

15. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

HiFi was originally Mono!!!

16. missan

missan Forum Resident

I must admit I have never used the terms low-fi, mid-fi, not until this thread, and I will after this never use them again. Hi-fi is in reality an old standard, which I have used, now long forgotten and without any meaning today.

17. tootull

lofi: no sense of humour
    midfi: some sense of humour
    hifi: complete sense of humour

:D = kidding

18. tootull

I could jump all over your use of was.
    This Was in mono by Jethro Tull = excellent

19. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

lofi: Folks for whom music is what is played in elevators and shopping malls. background noise.
    midfi: Folks for whom music is what you play in the car while going someplace. Or to wake up to with the clock radio. Or is a sountrack to a movie .. to help the movie along..

hifi: Folks who have dedicated listening systems and try to listen to music whenever they can

dhoffa85, Robin L, sami and 2 others like this.
  20. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I kind of like this - I don't think it has much to do with budget, but rather intent. Someone that loves music and cares about sound quality is into hifi, even if that's expressed by a used pair of Paradigm Atoms paired with a decent receiver.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Word.

mr clean, Clonesteak and PROG U.K. like this.
  22. RonW

I have this feeling I should get out of here...

23. tootull

:laugh: too true

24. RonW

I guess this thread just wasn't up to the standards here.

Goodbye everyone.

Ron

25. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Just remember....you can tune a piano, but you can't tunafish !!!!!

hey...that reminds me....:whistle:

Are Paradigm Focus and an Onkyo receiver ok too ?

[​IMG] :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.