New live album from The Who?? Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

maybe German Amazon will have a good deal on the box set!

Quadboy and reb like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Universal Japan is offering up the five-disc tin box with the two CDs being SHM-CDs for that iteration only.

3. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Deep in the murky depths of Who HQ:

"SOOO.... We finally finished that 5.1 mix of Quadrophenia!"
    "Really?? Shall we put it on the Q Cloud - that was a bit of a waste of money wasn't it, might as well use it eh?"
    "Well we could do that, but the guys really want to release one of their live shows!"
    "Ahh right, from 1973?? The fans will love that!!"
    "Well we could do that, but they really want it to be one of the 2013 shows"
    "Yeah fair enough, we already did stuff for the 1997 tour. So it makes sense to do that"
    "Exactly, plus the fans already have the boots of the old stuff"
    "Right. So what shall we put the 5.1 mix as part of the Blu Ray set? or a third disc in the CD version?'
    "Well we could do that, but we need to make some more money. Those expenses won't recoup themselves. So we want to put it in the exclusive £100 box version"
    "Right.... Fair enough. Hows the Who's Next deluxe set coming?"

And so on it goes....

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i don't have a Blu-ray set up,but if i did,why would i want to purchase an expensive multi disc set that contained a visual concert in both blu and SD,and both with 5.1 mix?
    would the SD version ever get a viewing?
    and what's the point of 2 CD's in stereo,when there will probably be a stereo option on the DVD's?

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

even though i went to the Wembley concert,i think i'm gonna pass!

6. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Isn't that just typical! What should have been included in the Quadrophenia Directors Cut box set, is now being included in another expensive box set!

dee and DrBeatle like this.
  7. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-who-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-quadrophenia/

THE WHO CELEBRATE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF QUADROPHENIA

WITH THE RELEASE OF
    ‘QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON’ DVD IN JUNE 2014
    FILMED AT WEMBLEY ARENA ON JULY 8, 2013

In 2012/2013, The Who embarked on the Quadrophenia and More Tour, performing their landmark rock opera in its entirety, marking the 40th anniversary of the original 1973 release of this double-album masterpiece. The critically acclaimed and highly successful tour closed at London’s Wembley Arena, with the cameras rolling, to record the closing night of this historic anniversary tour.

Filmed on July 8, 2013, QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON features The Who in peak form, performing Quadrophenia from front to back, in its entirety, plus a special set of some of their all-time greatest hits. The film captures the band’s dynamic performance in front of their hometown crowd and features blistering performances of “The Real Me,” “The Punk And The Godfather,” “Doctor Jimmy” and a powerful performance of “Love Reign O’er Me.” With HD screen backdrops, archival footage and today’s advanced technology in sound, QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON reunites The Who with bandmates John Entwistle, for “5:15,” and Keith Moon for his signature song “Bell Boy.” In addition to their performance of Quadrophenia, the band tear through classic tracks such as “Pinball Wizard,“ “Who Are You,” “You Better You Bet,” “Baba O’Riley,” “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Tea & Theatre” from their 2006 release Endless Wire,” with the intensity and power only The Who can conjure.

QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON will be available in various configurations including an expanded Deluxe Metal Box which includes the High Definition Blu-Ray™ and standard DVD of the concert film, both in 5.1 Surround Sound audio; a two-CD soundtrack of the show; and for the first time, a 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the entire 1973 album release of Quadrophenia on a Blu-Ray Audio Disc™. Extras include a 6-inch Mod Headlight sticker, a Mod Headlight button, and a booklet with liner notes and photos, all housed in a 10-inch metal container embossed with the movie-inspired, iconic, Mod bullseye logo painted on a Vespa SG scooter headlight.

QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON will also be made available separately on High Definition Blu-Ray™, standard DVD, and a downloadable Digital Concert Video, with the complete audio from the concert film being released as a two-CD soundtrack and a downloadable Digital Album.The 5.1 remix of the original Quadrophenia (1973) will be released as a single-disc Blu-Ray Audio Disc™.

Based around the story of Jimmy – double-album masterpiece, Quadrophenia tells the tale of a young mod and his struggle to come of age in the mid-1960s. The project was intended to reflect the four characters of The Who and features some of Townshend’s most inspired, personal song-writing – way ahead of its time in scope and purpose and is one of the most widely recognized albums of The Who’s career because of its classic depiction of mod culture, its renowned imagery and the magnificent music and powerful performances. Newly envisioned by Roger Daltrey, the concert film combines archival footage of The Who and images of historical events that have rocked Jimmy’s world over the past 40 years giving this magnum opus an enlightened modern twist.

TRACK LIST – ALL FORMATS EXCEPT 1973 VERSION
    1. I Am The Sea
    2. The Real Me
    3. Quadrophenia
    4. Cut My Hair
    5. The Punk And The Godfather
    6. I’m One
    7. The Dirty Jobs
    8. Helpless Dancer
    9. Is It In My Head?
    10. I’ve Had Enough
    11. 5:15
    12. Sea And Sand
    13. Drowned
    14. Bell Boy
    15. Doctor Jimmy
    16. The Rock
    17. Love Reign O’er Me
    Bonus Performances

1. Who Are You
    2. You Better You Bet
    3. Pinball Wizard
    4. Baba O’Riley
    5. Won’t Get Fooled Again
    6. Tea & Theatre

TRACK LIST – BLU-RAY QUADROPHENIA (1973) ALBUM 5.1 MIX
    1. I Am The Sea
    2. The Real Me
    3. Quadrophenia
    4. Cut My Hair
    5. The Punk And The Godfather
    6. I’m One
    7. The Dirty Jobs
    8. Helpless Dancer
    9. Is It In My Head?
    10. I’ve Had Enough
    11. 5:15
    12. Sea And Sand
    13. Drowned
    14. Bell Boy
    15. Doctor Jimmy
    16. The Rock
    17. Love Reign O’er Me
    DELUXE METAL BOX
    • 10-inch Round Metal Mod Headlight Container
    • 1 Blu-Ray Disc™: Concert Film
    • 1 Standard DVD: Concert Film
    • 1 Blu-ray Audio Disc™ Format: Quadrophenia (1973) 5.1 Album Mix – First Time Ever
    • 2-CD Soundtrack: Concert Audio
    • Mod Headlight Button
    • 6” Mod Headlight Sticker
    • Booklet with photos and liner notes
    SINGLE-DISC HIGH DEFINITION BLU-RAY DISC™
    • Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Film
    SINGLE-DISC STANDARD DVD
    SINGLE-DISC BLU-RAY™ PURE AUDIO DISC
    • First time ever 5.1 mix of the entire album Quadrophenia(1973)
    DIGITAL VIDEO DOWNLOAD
    2-CD SOUNDTRACK
    • Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Audio
    DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOAD
    • Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Audio

BUYING LINKS
    2CD: http://smarturl.it/TheWho2CD

DVD: http://smarturl.it/TheWhoDVD

Blu Ray: http://smarturl.it/TheWhoBR

Super Deluxe: http://smarturl.it/TheWhoSD

Read more at http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-wh...iversary-of-quadrophenia/#MbsoMfloZqdYPM3e.99

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That is true, but I think it was also going to be a Who-sanctioned live released that Pete scuppered at the last minute. Either way, it's a damn shame it's never gotten official release

9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Hull was great, yes. But that Ottawa show is weird, because many of the tracks don't match the bootleg SBD tape of it that's been around for years, and adding those Swansea '76 tracks (and making NO MENTION OF IT on the label until fans raised a stink about it online) is just inexcusable.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Buried:

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Does the "single" Quadrophenia (1973) Bluray disc mean one can buy just the studio album and not have to buy the "deluxe" set to get it? If so that is excellent news as it will be a good sign for future releases. The opposite approach for example of the Pink Floyd box sets where that was the only way to get the Bluray of DSOTM and WYWH.

Bill

dee, gd0 and One Louder like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That seems to be the case:

13. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Definitely in for the single Blu-ray disc 5.1 mix of the 1973 album only.

Steel Horse, izgoblin, dee and 2 others like this.
  15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yep, not the org QUADROPHENIA.

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Filmed on July 8, 2013, QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"and for the first time, a 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the entire 1973 album release of Quadrophenia on a Blu-Ray Audio Disc™"

dee, tkl7 and GroovinGarrett like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for that information. I'll definitely look forward to this release especially the studio version in 5.1 :).

Bill

19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

For UME its the same dozen or so titles/artists remastered every way possible (expanded cd,SACD,SHM-SACD,Platinum CD,HIREZ download,Blu Ray Audio) till the end of time Derek and The Dominoes,Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,The Who.They could do a Traffic title,Portishead-Dummy (a classic title from '94),or another Rod Stewart title BESIDES Every Picture Tells A Story....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In for the original album in 5.1.

Out for everything else.

Glad I didn't buy the super deluxe (choke) Quadrophenia with "whatever parts of Quadrophenia Pete had time to mix before tea in 5.1".

supermd and Beaneydave like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm kind of curious as to what the above has to do with the release of Quadrophenia on Bluray?

Bill

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  22. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

This is all great news. I'm very excited about all these releases, particularly the full 5.1 Blu Ray of Quad (1973). Only thing that sucks is it would have been a great opportunity to add the Quad documentary which looks like it didn't make it. Oh well. Knowing The Who it'll be out at some point anyway. :)

dee and One Louder like this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Released 7 days after Zep, I hope combining orders doesn't delay shipment.....such a tough decision to make;)

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

If the 5.1 mix of the original album is good it would go a long way towards finally being convinced to get a blu-ray player.

PennyLanes and gd0 like this.
  25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

that it's the same classic rock artist if not the same title UME has milked to death....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.