The compulsive music collector - yes I really did that thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay, I know a lot of people on this forum are compulsive collectors of music like me. I thought it might be fun to describe some of the most compulsive and/or hoarding territory things you've done as a music collector.

"My name is James and I'm a musicaholic. It's been one day since I bought a CD."

I recently have been going through all the longboxes that I've kept (score one already!) and forgot that I had gotten rid of some of the CDs that went with the boxes - supposed upgrades with remasters. Soooo, I took it upon my compulsive self to re-buy some of the CDs that matched the box and put them in the box to have a complete original item. I know, I know, it doesn't make any sense even to me but I've done it.

I actually enjoy the hunt for the right CD - usually DADC versions - that came with the original boxes. No record club editions. I've also rediscovered that a lot of these older versions I thought sounded like crap weren't so bad after all ... Ex) Fleetwood Mac's green Greatest Hits CD.

Any other musicaholic stories out there? ...

Guy E and hi_watt like this.
  2. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

I've been buying back some of the LPs I sold off in the 80s to get CDs. I've become the punchline to a hipster joke.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have a shrink wrap sticker collection which dates back over 30 yrs. Cut em off the shrink and save them in an envelope.

jricc, jonathan, Imagine70 and 7 others like this.
  4. BeatleStair

Me too, how funny! I love some of those old stickers. I'm so in need of therapy!

jricc and reb like this.
  5. Now would be a good time to interject, and offer anyone interested my wife's business card. She is a licensed psychiatrist. I'm sure she would come out of voluntary retirement for this thread. :laugh::agree:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

How I would ever go about accurately matching them back up with the CD's they came off of is beyond me. I really should have put them in the case instead if an envelope. This really started in high school with lp records. I probably still have some of those stickers as well.

BeatleStair likes this.
  7. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Same here. Picked up Queensryche's Rage for Order over the weekend. Though I think I mainly sold off the LPs to buy money for concerts.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

When I got back into records in 1997. I bought back copies of all the records I traded in to buy cds. After joining this forum, I bought back all of the CD's I traded in to buy the remastered CD. I have more cds/lps etc than I could listen to in ten lifetimes.

BeatleStair likes this.
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I keep buying every copy I can find of Led Zeppelin II with RL stampers that I find in the local bins. I have a decent copy, but any potential upgrade is worth a chance. Truth is that they are not all that rare. The trick is finding a clean one.

hi_watt and BeatleStair like this.
  10. BeatleStair

Soon after I joined this forum I started re-buying all those CDs I traded away thinking the remasters were great. Especially the McCartney CDs. I loved the McCartney Collection CDs for years until I re-bought the original UK Red Rose Speddway CD and listened to it and my jaw dropped. It was all over for my wallet and storage space since then.

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I thought I kept all of mine inside the album sleeves. Still peeved that I can't find my "gold vinyl" sticker for my Canadian copy of The Beatles " Love Songs".

BeatleStair likes this.
  12. BeatleStair

I love this forum!

Keith V, reb and Muzyck like this.
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I also bought back many of the remastered cds I traded in to buy back the unremastered CD. Now I keep everything I buy. Even duplicates. And I'm still buying. So I guess I'm a really sic dude.:evil::crazy::evil:

danielbravo and BeatleStair like this.
  14. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I carefully peel the stickers off the original shrink wrap of new LPs, then stick them in the exact same position on the clear plastic sleeve that I store the album in. That way, it looks just like it did before opening it. It doesn't always work, as some stickers don't peel cleanly, but it looks cool when it does.

15. BeatleStair

I started doing that lately on the stickers that come on wrapped CDs. Most of the time they peel off just fine and look great!

JasonA likes this.
  16. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I was going to say I bought three used Imagine albums so I can have everything in excellent condition: The cover, the record, the inner sleeve and postcard (ended up with the non-pig one), but that doesn't even come close :)

BeatleStair likes this.
  17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I buy extra copies of CDs just to boost sales and keep the CD market afloat. At present, I have 58 copies of Artpop.

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I bought three or four copies of each of the Beatles HMV CD box sets from Sgt. Pepper onwards and also three each of the three Anthology double vinyl album sets, just because..when I ran across them I couldn't say no.

I have a disease: BBBG (Beatles Buying Brain Glitch )

I'm in recovery now though. I generally buy only one of everything these days, and have actually skipped a couple of questionable values. ( The Help! DVD box set that was 100 bucks or something before Amazon blew them out. etc.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    BeatleStair likes this.
  19. BeatleStair

Don't even get me started on upgrading for condition of CDs or vinyl. I have about 10 copies each of The Monkees first two albums and for The Beatles, it's out of control - every album by them multiplied by 10 or more! One has a great cover, one has a great inner sleeve, one has a great label, etc.

I bought the regular US copies of the Capitol albums CD boxes Vol. 1 and 2 then of course had to get the Japanese editions because of the better artwork. And it goes on and on ... and on!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have 5 sets of Doors CD's.

83/85 -88-DCC/Af-99-07

A collection of about 10 Who Are You lps on various labels. One says the estate of Keith Moon.

Tjazz, 905, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Weeding the collection feels great. If I haven't listened to it in years, I won't miss it. I'd rather sell and get new stuff (parlay). Start by getting rid of doubles. You only need 1 copy of an album.

22. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Wow, I love this place, now I don't feel so bad about having multiple copies because I just couldn't pass it up! You made my day!

4stringking73 and BeatleStair like this.
  23. Glenn Christense

It's just crazy, huh ? I think the last time I checked I have like 13 0r 14 various versions of Magical Mystery Tour, etc.

Plus, I forgot to mention that when it looked like vinyl was on the way out for good I bought three each of the vinyl Beatles digitally sourced albums in the late 90's or whenever it was. All still sealed, just sitting there on my shelf.:p

BeatleStair likes this.
  24. BeatleStair

Lol, I did that too but just bought one of each. They sit sealed in a box. I do take them out every now and again and look at them ... oh that sounds so bad! I have the same BBBG disease!

25. Glenn Christense

Yeah, I should probably try to sell them. I have some great original albums, German, UK, Japan, an Abbey Road -1/-2 or whatever the best one is supposed to be etc., so why did I stock up on the 90's digital ones ?
    Who knows ? :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.