Beach Boys Pet Sounds Quandary: Original 1966 mono version or modern stereo remix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by brother1002, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry.... Thread Starter

OK, I have a quandary that only SH Forum members can help with. I have the unique opportunity to introduce Pet Sounds to a person in their early 20s. Should I present it in glorious mono, the way God had intended, or in Stereo for a more 'modern' sound. I can see plusses and minuses for both. What's your opinion?

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Stereo of course!!! but play the mono God only knows after

3. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I first heard the mono CD at around that age...I would go with that. Plus, the stereo mix will be a nice thing to discover once they are addicted.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

It really should be heard by a newbie in mono. This is the way it was originally intended. The stereo is fine, but why corrupt a young listener? :)

5. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I say the mono. Kids in their 20's probably don't even know what mono is and will just accept it as sounding the way it does. I think Brian's original vision is always the way to go though I do enjoy the stereo mix. It just doesn't have that same magic that the mono mix has IMHO.

mikeyt and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

after being fully converted a year ago, I can say without hesitation that the MFSL SACD is the optimum way to hear this record

7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

It doesn't really matter as the genius of this music will shine through even a crappy dubbed cassette tape. Personally I needed some time and repeated plays
    before I "got" Pet Sounds.
    Jim

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is this person open to mono mixes in general, or are they kind of agnostic on the question? I hate to admit it, but I tend to prefer the stereo mix most of the time.

old school likes this.
  9. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I'd go for the stereo in this case ... it sounds much fresher and you can hear all details.

10. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

I'd say Mono, and I'm in my mid-20's.

Are you thinking CD? Vinyl? What pressing/version do you have?

Craig Williams likes this.
  11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

M O N O.

Hamhead and Scope J like this.
  12. velvetmornin

velvetmornin Well-Known Member

MONO.

Scope J likes this.
  13. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I gotta say mono too as a purist and someone who really thinks this is the way Brian intended it to be. But once the crack of the drums slaps you in the face and you hear Brian sing the intro line of "Wouldn't It Be Nice", it's all over anyway. Stereo or Mono, Pet Sounds is simply a work of art that's accessible, hummable and enjoyable writ large.

One Louder likes this.
  14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I'll have to go with the inverse of your recommendation. Though I'm generally a purist, I can't deny the personal impact the stereo mix had on me as a young listener in his 20s. Prior to hearing the stereo, I had been listening to one of the standard mono masterings on CD for a number of years. I found the album intriguing, but not particularly engaging. Then I bought the Sessions box and had my mind thoroughly blown. The music felt alive and immediate.
    I've since grown to love the mono mix, thanks to Steve's excellent mastering, but let's face it, that mix is a mess and could pose a barrier to enjoyment for inexperienced listeners.
    The album is short enough that you could play him both fairly easily. But start with the stereo.

RubenH and crispi like this.
  15. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I'd suggest Mono. The Stereo is fascinating, revealing and all that but I feel it leaves Brian's lead vocal a little naked in some places. Definitely mono for a first time listener and stereo as a treat to discover further down the line if they get into it as Revolver0001 suggested.

16. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident

I first heard the mono mix at 16 (I'm 23 now) via the 40th anniversary disc. I've since heard it on the original LP, the original UK LP (which is duo-phonic.) The DCC Cd, 40th CD, original CD, 80's green line LP, and finally the version packed in as part of the Carl & The Passions 2-fer. The mono mix is the way to go with this one. It's the way the music was meant to be heard. Whether you like the stereo mix or not it's a remix and shouldn't be used as an introduction, if the person listens to the stereo mix later and digs it more that's their prerogative (no need to get into a mix war here!) Since falling in love with the LP I've introduced it to about 5 or so people, all through the DCC copy. Some dug it, some didn't but the mix was never the problem. If they LIKE the mono mix my next suggestion is to hip them to the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. It's overwhelming at first but they can mix and match stereo, mono, and alternate versions to create "their" version of P.S. As long as they have the mono mix as a frame of reference whatever they find more enjoyable is up to them. If the listener isn't really hip to music of the era play the mono and see if they could even tell or if it matters to them, that's always interesting when turning someone onto different mixes.

alexpop likes this.
  17. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

If the kid is a huge audiophile I'd go with the Mono version -- if not, and they are simply a music lover, I'd go with the stereo. It's fantastic.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

+1 :righton:

19. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The stereo might please the ears, but it's the mono that has the heart and soul.
    MONO.

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I'd say give him both versions. If he's anything like most people he probably won't "get" Pet Sounds on the first listen. I know I definitely didn't. It might be cool to have him listen to the mono first and if he needs another run-through to absorb the album again, the stereo version might be a great alternative for them.

forthlin, LuLu Reed and 905 like this.
  21. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If you're going to play him the stereo version, ask him to stick around and watch your computer-colorized version of Casablanca.

22. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I heard it in mono at the same age so I would say go with that!!

23. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

AMEN!!

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

aren't there elements on the mono mix that got left off the stereo?

Hamhead and Drifter like this.
  25. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

If they are going to listen to it with headphones then I'd say stereo. If not, mono.

Sourcreampudding and mmars982 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.