New live album from The Who?? Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I'll probably buy the CD and Bluray version, but I'm deeply disgruntled they chose a Zak-less show for this release; he helped revitalize the band since 1996 and brings a lot to the table...
    OTOH, Pete is still an awesome showman, though the years have taken their toll, he's fun to watch during a show, and his playing remains powerful, sometimes very aggressive and effective...

dee likes this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Does anyone know if the dvd is the Can You See The Real Me doc from 2013?

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Scott Devours is a great drummer. Lay any doubts to rest.

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why Bluray and DVD? And aren't the CDs in the box set?

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I want to have the whole box. Everything. Even the Bluray of the original.

PennyLanes likes this.
  6. rburly

The DVD is the live London 2013 concert.

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Is there anyone who saw this show and can comment on his drumming?

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Like others have pointed out, since the Encore series stopped, this is a chance to keep the catalogue updated with an example of a current show. That said, in terms of Quadrophenia, it is disappointing that the first live audio release of this material is from 2013 when superior unreleased concert presentations are available from 1973 and 1996. The 1973 Spectrum show is actually quite good and should be officially available (and clearly, it isn't the only vintage archival concert screaming for an official release....San Francisco 1971 anyone?). The 1996 shows were also strong and showcased Daltrey in a much better voice in addition to having John Entwistle present. So, as a Who fan, this upcoming release still holds appeal in its own way, but considering superior live sets from Quadrophenia related tours still sit in the archives unreleased, it makes this upcoming release that much more underwhelming to this fan.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I definitely see your point as to why weren't earlier shows selected over the 2013 show. I would much prefer seeing the show from 1973 over that of the 2013 show. I'm just really happy that the complete studio version will be released in hi-res 5.1 :).

Bill

J_D__ likes this.
  10. rburly

I'm happy for the complete studio audio will be released in 5.1 and I'll enjoy a memory of that tour. Roger was in great voice at the beginning of the tour. (No one was smoking or rowdy during the show either) I'm happy to be getting both new releases. The 5.1 studio audio is worth it alone for me too. I'm really looking forward to this release in June.

J_D__ and Bill Mac like this.
  11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Quadboy said he saw this show in person.

And I saw Devours drum twice as well. On Daltrey's Tommy tour and on this Who Quad tour.

vinyldreams and dee like this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

in many ways, imo, he reminded me of Zak, when he first joined the band, when Scott started with Daltrey solo tours playing Who songs, a few years even before the Tommy tour that Daltrey did with the same band, and he's been playing drums for him since. great question though, thankfully, Scott had a bunch of Quad concerts in before this London concert. Townsend had a funny quote about him when introducing the band, he said how perfect Scott played Quadrophenia his first night out, and that he's been f****** it up ever since, lol. no doubt, I enjoy hearing Zack play drums with The Who and regret he didn't play this concert that's being released.

reb likes this.
  13. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

I also wish it was a show with Zak, and it's too bad that he had to miss around half the shows on this tour. (I think it was about that much). But, it's not necessarily that they "chose" a Zak-less show. They just didn't film any of the ones he did. I'm sure if they knew he would be injured and miss the second half of the tour they would have filmed an earlier one.

But, as others have said, Scott Devours is an excellent drummer. I didn't see this tour but I did see him in Roger's solo band on his Tommy tour and was very impressed.
    Surprisingly, he actually plays the parts more like Keith than Zak does. It's clear that he's studied the parts very closely. Zak tends to play in the "style" of Keith, but overall does his own thing. He often doesn't play the exact same beats as on the recordings, doesn't play the exact same fills, etc...but the feel is right and his chemistry with Pete is as well. Scott (at least on Roger's tour, and I assume on this one as well) plays the parts pretty much just like they are on record.

Overall I prefer Zak. But I don't think anyone should worry about a big drop off in quality on the drums for this show. The dude knows his stuff.

dee likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you must have missed this dvd
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_and_Quadrophenia_Live

15. old school

old school Senior Member

In my opinion if I want a new Who Live disc Keith Moon should be on it. There are some early 70s Who concerts in the vault that should be released before this 2013 concert.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

yes i did attend this show,but it wasn't a brilliant view/seat compared to the other shows i went to,i was the middle of the arena floor level.
    so i wouldn't like to comment on this particular show.
    but he was really excellent on this tour,but possibly over keen/excited [not nervous] on the other shows that i saw,Pete was impressed too,in his his band intros.
    i'll put some of the audience recording on youtube for people to judge anyway.
    it's decent quality,just a bit rumbly because of the venue acoustics/roof?
    Wembley Arena really is a bit of a P***hole!
    if they hadn't arranged this charity show at the last minute,there may have not been a DVD set issued at all.

vinyldreams and WhoTapes1 like this.
  17. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I was at the O2 show the night before. It was outstanding and I have been hoping for a souvenir ever since. This really is more of a "show" than a gig if you see what I mean, in as much as it is very visual rather than reliant solely on the music.

I was initially disappointed when I heard that Zak would not be playing but I really did not miss him. The night far exceeded my expectations and was my favourite concert of last year.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Trinifold doing their bit towards completely and utterly pissing people off......... None of this will find it's way on to my shelves.

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The crazy thing is that they haven't deviated from this mindset and approach for YEARS and it doesn't seem like they will any time soon, if ever...

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

PennyLanes likes this.
  22. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Sad times.

I don't understand why we can't get a decent reissue program. In the past few years it seems anything that wasn't released between 1967 and 1973 is ignored!

23. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Like many other Who fans, I will go ahead and pick up a version of this live 2012 Quadrophenia concert, probably the 2 CD edition.

How does a Who fan turn down a live rendition of Quadrophenia, in any officially released form? The answer to that question is, it's not possible; the music is too great, I want to hear it again, new.

However, you go to YouTube and listen to the live, 1973 Quadrophenia songs from the Spectrum and it does indeed sound like a Live At Leeds featuring songs from Quadrophenia. When I listen to it, my face turns into a sneer and I feel like I have a pit bull on a heavy chain ready to release.

vitorbastos123 and J_D__ like this.
  24. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Well, I've found the DVD, the Blu-Ray and the Super Deluxe on Amazon, but haven't found the stand-alone blu-ray. Anyone else found it?

Incidentally, I stumbled upon this forum during an internet search for news about that other Quadrophenia Super Deluxe Edition, and I posted angrily about that thing for months leading up to its release. It was my introduction to the Hoffmanites. And I bought it anyway! Now that I'll be able to get a full 5.1 mix of the album, I can relax a bit. Townshend spoke at one point about offering the full album as a digital download to people who bought the box, but I guess that went the way of the "additional material" that was supposed to materialize on the "Quad Cloud" or whatever that was.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm in for the box set. I've been a Who fan for over 40 years and I'm glad to see a recent concert made available. The seventies was probably my favorite decade but I'm not stuck in it. I would love to see more early concerts released but I'm happy to get this one too. I don't think people have much to gripe about really about this release. Several variations of the material that's in the box are being made available and then if your still not happy than you don't have buy it.

J_D__ and rburly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.