preamp to warm up my airport express?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brudy, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

It is, happy with mine for over three years now, I use it as my main DAC using my Onkyo 709's pre-outs, I lose anything over 96 from my Oppo or Touch which sucks, I've tried removing it from my system time and again and it always ends up back in the chain
    Edit-Use a 2 prong converter instead of the two with ground, eliminated some noise I was getting

allnoyz likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ah, tubes, yes. That's another story. I was talking basic tone.

Airport Express is Apples little doohickey for wireless streaming from your computer. Computer - over the airwaves to Airport Express - Fiio DAC (via an optical ouput on the Airport Express). Then into his receiver. So the real question should be: Can someone recommend me a warmer DAC than my Fiio DAC? A preamp isn't the right item he's looking for.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Why would you do this over wireless? Couldn't you simply connect the computer to the DAC?

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

The device in Post #11 meets the OP's requirements.

And for the record, an Airport Express is more like a hockey puck than a doohickey. :)

BrokenByAudio and Ghostworld like this.
  5. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

What's the difference?

6. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

ok genuine question - how do you pronounce Schiit? :hide:

7. gloomrider

Just like the American English slang term for feces.

8. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

ok fair enough! good gear is good gear; name doesn't matter :)

9. gloomrider

Schiit is somewhat irreverent when it comes to their product naming philosophy. Their products are generally rock solid, but they also have excellent service for when there are issues. I really like their Gungnir DAC, but I wish they would come out with something in its class that decoded DSD.

10. Metralla

Don't know. I've never played with the device in question.

11. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Music Direct sells a little tube buffer I just saw in their catalog for about 200. Easy to return also!

12. I do the same thing streaming my lossless files from my mac's external HD wirelessly to the airport express that's hooked right into the stereo. It's not convenient for my computer to be anywhere near the stereo. I need to add a dac too

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You're better off with a batter DAC in the chain. Want a warm dac with lots of bass punch. Get one of the HRT Music Streamers if you have a Mac.

14. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

The device is inconsequential. Whether you're streaming wirelessly, or have your computer connected physically to the DAC, the same series of zeroes and ones are being delivered. It's not an analog signal. It doesn't degrade over the air.

15. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I've got the Chevy to that Pontiac, the Grant Fidelity tube dac-09. It's great at what it does, my only complaint is that it has a crap headphone section.

16. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Yeah, the headphone out on my Emotiva DAC is lacking as well. It can't touch my Headroom Mini amp.

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My first question is does the OP want to add warmth or lessen the digital glare ? Two totally different things and two different solutions.

18. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Interesting. How are they two different things?

19. Metralla

Yes, it's not an analogue signal and it does not degrade over the air - thanks for pointing out the obvious.

As far as I am concerned, this hobby has shown over the years that what is sometimes initially seen as inconsequential is later found to be not so.

20. gloomrider

Or to be much more specific, when I attached my 2nd gen airport express to a Schiit Gungnir DAC using TOSLINK, the "buy better gear" light came on, indicating a level of jitter coming from the airport express that the Gungnir found to be excessive.

More info from the FAQ section:

The amount of jitter coming from the airport express is rather well known, but it wasn't to me until the light came on. :idea:

EDIT: I have since switched to using USB exclusively.

Dirtbeard likes this.
  21. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

That's the kind of thing I won't get into anymore. If it isn't apparent, then it obviously isn't effecting my ability to enjoy what I'm listening to. Hence something I won't worry about.

I realize that makes me a bad audiophile. ;)

22. gloomrider

Not at all. But as I mentioned before, the move away from S/PDIF to USB was audible to me. Subtle at first, but after a while, I can sure hear it when I go back to S/PDIF.

23. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Yeah, that's cool. Unfortunately, or possibly fortunately, I don't have the option of going that route. My library is on an iMac in another room, and we have no laptop, just iOS devices.

24. My iMac is also in a different room than my stereo. I have a 2TB HD full of about 80,000 lossless songs mostly from my CD collection. I use my Airport express connected to my Rotel receiver and it works great and sounds really good but I know by adding a DAC I can improve it. Im also not sure what to get. These suggestions are intriguing

25. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Ah, that all sounds so familiar. ;)

I have a different amp and preamp on my rig now, but when I first bought my Emotiva amp, I hooked it up to a 15 y.o. Harman Kardon receiver. The difference it made was off the charts. My wife hates when I spend money on the stereo and rolls her eyes and leaves the room when I ask if she can hear the difference. Except with the Emotiva DAC. She sat and listened to music with me for a couple of hours. Later I added my amp and preamp, PLUS new speakers that were in a whole other tax bracket than my previous pair, but even with the addition of all of that my wife told me none of them made the same level of improvement the DAC did. Although she is starting to come around on the speakers...

Now, let me throw in this caveat: this receiver WAS 15 y.o. Now, it's pretty easy to comprehend DAC technology has likely come a long way in 15 years, but depending on how old your Rotel is, you may not experience the same sea change in sound. To be perfectly honest, I didn't think I would either. Matter of fact, I made sure I unpacked it with great care, because I was 50% certain I would likely be sending it back because it made no difference in my system. So, if you do decide to take the plunge, just make sure you get it from some place with an excellent return policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.