Poll: Tomorrow (4/17), should I go see Queens of the Stone Age?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

Work will be rough the next day, sure, but should I go anyway?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice,

wavethatflag

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Yes. Get out of the house and see some live music.

Heck, I go see opera and ballet and dance with my wife and/or friends just to get out on the town.

PennyLanes and wavethatflag like this.
  3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

no, but if Warpaint is opening still, then yes.

4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Not even a fan, but you should go because it will be an intense experience and wake you the hell up, at least for a short while. Maybe I'll go... ;)

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Hell. Yes. Go.

wavethatflag and PennyLanes like this.
  6. wavethatflag

I went! It was great. They opened with two from Songs For The Deaf, which was awesome. Only a couple tunes were sort of clunkers, but not that bad. I never post videos on YouTube, but if I do I'll post a video of the encore in this thread.

I didn't like Warpaint too much, but it's rare that I'm into the opening act. They got a decent reaction from the crowd though. Here's the marquee and people taking a picture of the marquee, including me. Phone cameras, man, it's out of control. :)

IMG_0556.JPG

progrocker71 likes this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Glad you had fun, I've seen them several times over the years (including the CD release party of their debut album at the OK Hotel in Seattle back in '98) and they always put on a great show. I've been a fan of Josh since I first discovered Kyuss in 1992.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Warpaint didn't do anything for me in general, but go see Queens!!!!

9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Who are Queens of the Stone Age?

10. progrocker71

Jerryb likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

I caught on to them with Songs For The Deaf. The last time I saw them was at the University of Buffalo, opening for Zwan, in 2002. It seems funny now that they would open for a short-lived Billy Corgan vehicle.

Do you think they've become a bit more mainstream without Nick Oliveri? Last night it was clear to me that Homme is at his best when he plays the earlier, heavier stuff, and not so much the more recent "mainstream" tunes. (Of course, even as early as Songs For The Deaf they had "Go With The Flow" which is pretty much a radio song, although a good one). That said, I pretty much like it all--I can't say any of their albums have been a big disappointment for me, although it took me a while to appreciate Lullabies To Paralyze. But last night, as great as it was, sort of makes me want to go see Mastodon soon, just for the end-to-end stoner rock-metal crunch.

I just got a couple Kyuss albums recently. Those were way under my radar when they first came out. Those are great.

12. progrocker71

I don't know, Josh has had mainstream tunes since the very beginning, go back and listen to "If Only" from the debut album, that has radio single written all over it (and it's a great track). I think each album has featured a couple potential radio hits among the more experimental offerings. The most recent album is no different. The only noticeable thing with Oliveri being gone is the lack of a couple noise tracks that he would contribute to each album, tracks like Millionaire from Songs For The Deaf for example.

I think Josh has always been about 95% of their sound, any variances from album to album have more to do with his mood at the time than anything else. I think all of their albums are interesting and there is material on each of them I really enjoy.

My favorites are the debut and Rated R.

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Glad you went. And glad you enjoyed it. I've only recently discovered them...and it turns out i'm a big fan...so i'm envious.

But Courtney Love evidently thinks they suck...so you might want to keep this on the down low...otherwise shell be tweeting about you.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You owe it to yourself to find out.

Jerryb likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Glad you went. I made a game time decision to go, too, and was very glad I did (I was on the fence not because of any doubt about QOTSA's ability to play a great show, but because I am not a fan of the venue and was going to be heading in there with a face full of novocaine after a dentists appointment). Better Living Through Dentistry...

Anyway, I've seen QOTSA 4 times (Warfield in '93, Fillmore in '05, Bridge School last year, and last night) and they have never disappointed. Likewise Them Crooked Vultures, who I saw at the Fox. Unfortunately, circumstances kept me from seeing QOTSA play the entire first album at the Fox three years ago; probably my favorite album of theirs, but I like them all.

I only have one Kyuss album, need to dig deeper into their catalog soon.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

As I said in the Courtney Love hates saxophones thread today, if Homme offered to write songs for the new Hole album (assuming there will be a new one--but who cares?) she'd be on his doorstep tomorrow with a case of beer. Didn't Billy Corgan basically write Hole's second album?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Know what? I love the Pumpkins...and I never knew that.

Whodathunk this place would be so informative?

18. wavethatflag

When Celebrity Skin came out, Corgan was quoted in the press saying "I am the Svengali" of the new Hole album. I don't know how the songs were actually credited, but it was said or thought or whatever that Billy Corgan wrote a lot of that album. Courtney tried to convince the press that Eric Erlander actually wrote the songs, but I don't think that's the case. If you listen to the lead single from Celebrity Skin, whatever that was, I think it sounded like Corgan's imprimatur was all over it.

19. wavethatflag

I couldn't help myself, I just went to allmusic.com and five of the 12 songs on Celebrity Skin are credited to Billy Corgan / Eric Erlandson / Courtney Love. Which, to me, means that Corgan flat out wrote five of the twelve songs. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who writes songs with other people, but correct me if I'm wrong. Looking at the first four albums in the Pumkins' discography on allmusic.com, Billy writes pretty much everything, except for a few songs credited to Corgan/Iha and one song written by James Iha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.