Renaissance Fans??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KCJay, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Man, I love Novella.

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have essentially the same items as HGN2001 listed in post #7. I'd say Turn of the Cards is my favourite LP, edging out Ashes are Burning, but for a single band-related track I have to go with If I Were Made of Music by Annie Haslam from her solo LP:

The last 25% of the song is one of the great unheralded guitar solos of all time ...

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

Presumably you've come across Illusion's 1977 LP Out of the Mist then? I really like Isadora, Beautiful Country and Face of Yesterday (which is a re-recorded version, and better IMHO.

4. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I've got prob 5 different versions of Ashes Are Burning on CD and find the 2008 or 2010 Rep'toir remaster sounds best, excluding the Japanese HDCD editions mentioned above that I don't own & haven't heard.
    I've got the Capitol two-fer, the hissy One Way edition, a '99 or 2000 Jap mini-LP edition, a 2004 Jap mini-LP edition and the very clean German Rep'toir mentioned above...

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WoW! this thread just popped up after 12 years! I was just listening to Sounds Of The Sea...so beautiful.

ian christopher likes this.
  6. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

"I Think Of You" and "Black Flame" were the two songs from Turn of The Cards that just hit me like a ton of bricks. "Black Flame" reminded me of the character Melisandre while I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones). And I can't believe how beautiful Haslam sounds on "Carpet of the Sun". Her vocals on were literally pitch perfect and very moving. It took me a while to get to Renaissance just because they weren't really talked about when I got into prog in the 90s. I'm really surprised they weren't bigger than they got to be.

7. I discovered Renaissance when Ashes Are Burning was originally released while I was in my English Prog Rock phase. Back then it had constant rotation on my turntable. I also bought Turn of the Cards, which also got play but not as much as Ashes. Then the 80's and New Wave came and I forgot about most of my Prog Rock friends. Recently while cruising the racks at my favorite local record store, I spotted a CD of Ashes Are Burning and picked it up. I had forgotten how much I loved this album. It is now on my ipod with several songs in my playlists. Annie's voice is amazing on this LP. Wish I could have seen them live back in the day. Don't ever remember them coming through Pittsburgh. I need to get some more of the CD's.

Rick G

8. I hadn't noticed that. But Renaissance deserves a good discussion. Apparently it didn't get much response the first time around.

Rick G

9. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

My wife and I had two friends of ours sing the song at our wedding in 1986!

tedhead likes this.
  10. peter

peter Senior Member

I bought the re-issue of Illusion and my gosh what an astounding album. I wish I had these Line CD's!

11. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Big fan here...would love to see them live, but I doubt if they would ever come anywhere near the Kansas City area.

12. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

A great song with great vocals by Annie - heard it for the first time this week.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There was also a second Illusion album by the same lineup. Both were briefly available on a twofer CD.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Love them, got to see them live decades ago. Wore out a few vinyl copies of Turn of The Cards and Ashes Are Burning.

15. Michael

yes they do! loved this band since day one...

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

And I have it! I've seen more than one, the first one I think was German but it omitted Face of Yesterday so I gave it a pass. The other one came out not long afterwards; it has the same cover as Out of the Mist.

17. Michael

I like the first incarnation as well!
    Keith Relf on guitar and vocals, Jim McCarty on drums, plus bassist Cennamo, pianist Hawken, and Relf's sister Jane as an additional vocalist...

18. Michael

I have the Line CD of this:
    It's fabulous... lonr.jpeg
    Kings and Queens! Oh man!

19. peter

peter Senior Member

I am sure it is!

20. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Was just recently introduced to Renaissance by another fan recently. Their music has slowly grown on me, so far I only have their double album In The Beginning but thats going to change pretty soon.

21. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

@ Rick G - I often recommend Ashes Are Burning first to anyone who I feel would enjoy their music,
    much like ELP's Trilogy album for those who dare to get into ELP, and Who's Next for anyone who
    actually needs an intro into The Who...

GuildX700 likes this.
  22. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I ordered the first and second Renaissance album (Line) today via eBay. I have several versions of both but I hope the Line editions to be definite.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I like the verses. But the chorus is a letdown. And it sounds very much apiece with Roy Wood's Mustard of the same time, i.e. the arrangement is kind of clumsy.

I was really excited when this album was announced: Two of my favorite artists (Roy Wood, Renaissance/Annie) combined. But I thought it was a significant letdown.

24. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

She also sings Ripples on the Magna Carta Genesis tribute cd Suppers Ready. Beautiful record. Love me some Scheherazade as well, 1001 nights!

25. Michael

for me they are as I only own own the Line CD of the first album...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.