Elton John General Discussion And Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree 'Ticking' is great, but the song that I absolutely love love love on 'Caribou' and is the best song on the album IMO is 'I've Seen The Saucers'.

2. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

ah that's what it was.. straining.. hence the end result ;)

3. fredblue

haha! :D buying speakers on eBay donchyaknow, though I wish they had been inflatable they weigh a flippin ton! :p

4. fredblue

that's an elderberry wine hangover you can't shift!

5. fredblue

Victim Of Drugs = Elton B Bad!

PROG U.K. likes this.
  6. fredblue

Interesting.. if I had to narrow it down I'd probably say

1. Songs From The West Coast ( + "The North Star", "Joan Of Arc" & "God Never Came There"),
    2. The Captain & The Kid (+ "Across The River Thames"),
    3. 1/2 of The Road To El Dorado ( + "The Perfect Love") (#.),
    4. 1/2 of Peachtree Road + the B-Sides (*),
    5. 1/2 of The Union (**)

re: 3, 4 & 5..

for ElDorado..
    1. Without Question,
    2. Friends Never Say Goodbye,
    3. The Trail We Blaze,
    4. The Panic In Me,
    5. It's Tough To Be A God,
    6. Trust Me,
    7. My Heart Dances,
    8. Queen Of Cities,
    9. The Perfect Love.

for Peachtree I'd go for
    1. Porch Swing In Tupelo,
    2. Answer In The Sky,
    3. Turn The Lights Out When You Leave,
    4. My Elusive Drug,
    5. I Stop And I Breathe,
    6. Too Many Tears,
    7. It's Getting Dark In Here,
    8. Keep It A Mystery,
    9. Things Only Get Better With Love,
    10. How's Tomorrow,
    11. A Little Peace.

from The Union..
    1. If It Wasn't For Bad,
    2. Hey Ahab,
    3. Gone To Shiloh,
    4. Hearts Have Turned To Stone,
    5. The Best Part Of The Day,
    6. I Should Have Sent Roses,
    7. My Kind Of Hell,
    8. Mandalay Again,
    9. Never Too Old (To Hold Somebody).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Ok team, this thread is too cosy by half, so lets have a debate.. i'm an Elton fan, since the very early 1970 ToTP shows in the UK...so no personal attacks etc etc.

Based on the support here (sorry Stumpy, I just picked on your post but there have been many) and in recent threads (best 5 elton tracks ) i thought i should listen to the track Ticking off Caribou. I've had to give up after 1 verse.. are those not the worst lyrics Bernie ever wrote?? I mean seriously, pure McGonagall.

just a random thought...

I

8. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Rocket Man....Love It...especially right as it launches into...."and I think it's gonna be a long long time".

Carlox, Freedom Rider and fredblue like this.
  9. fredblue

Sorry @Regandron I'm not up for a big debate about Ticking, it's a masterpiece in my eyes, with BT at his cinematic best .. the kind of thing he crafted all too easily around that period, stuff like Danny Bailey.. kind of melodramatic in a way but no less worthy for that imho.. but I do respect your opinion, even though I don't agree :)

oh and Elton is startlingly good both vocally and especially his piano work has all those hallmark clever plays on the words he conjured up so effortlessly back then.

oh.. and how fab are Dave Hentschel's synths! They add so much to the atmosphere. how I love the track.

AndyNicks, factory44 and PROG U.K. like this.
  10. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Enough on the synths on Ticking, no comment on the dire lyrics then ??

11. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Local radio played Funeral For A Friend the other day on my morning commute.At 5:30 am it's a good time to just sink into the song.Doesn't get much better than that.That song never gets old.

12. fredblue

Umm.. dire in your opinion :)

I love the lyrics, they conjur up images like a little short movie or an episode from a "non-existent TV series" ;)

13. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

Elton had vocal chord surgery in 1986 to remove several non-cancerous polyps, which were affecting his voice...the result was a lower, deeper voice. He had the surgery shortly after his Live in Australia concert and album. You can hear some of his vocal struggles on that album. So while the surgery lowered his voice, it allowed him to continue singing.

Hep Alien and JP Christian like this.
  14. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I believe Elderberry Wine was the b-side to Crocodile Rock (at least in the US) which may explain why it was never considered for a single. Also, the second single from Don't Shoot Me was Daniel, and by the time it's run was done, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was released. Great song, though.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

My favorite EJ track is the duet with Bruce Hornsby "Dreamland" on Halcyon Days.

FFAF/LLB is a close second.

16. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Great idea for a thread. All the Elton talk around here lately has me listening to his '70s stuff again. I was a huge fan until about Blue Moves, then only listened to him sporadically... though I did catch him on the 21 at 33 tour. But his voice could always grab me.

Some of my favorite "overlooked" classics are Blues for Baby and Me, Amoreena, and Amy. Three different vibes, but they're all so soulful and fabulous. Amoreena just rocks, and that Jean-Luc Ponty solo in Amy is phenomenal.

dharmabumstead, tonyc and fredblue like this.
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He is on record as liking his lowered voice better, and so do I. It leaves him in a bit of a bind with the early, pre-surgery hits which he has to perform live, though, unless they can be transposed lower. Or the high notes can be avoided or taken on by other band members. He has a few tricks up his sleeve and uses them well. And by now, with his advancing age, the voice may be weaker overall in other ways, not just lower. I think he can also compose around the limitations for new material.

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

During the Million Dollar Piano show I saw broadcast in a theater recently, Elton was waxing rhapsodic whilst demonstrating some fancy features of his high-tech, costly Yamaha custom-made piano. He threatened to have sex with it later in the show. Got some big laughs from the audience with that line. :laugh:

fredblue and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Lost me after Blue Moves. Though there has been a good song or two after. Lion King was the total end for me. That said, loved all that came before Blue Moves

dharmabumstead likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I forgot 'Eldorado'! This would be just before 'The Union' on my list.

fredblue likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I first heard "Your Song" I became an instant fan...his debut Elton John album will always remain my favorite for special reasons.

Alan2 likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Stop It! It does sound like it may physically hurt him to sing now.. Especially when live. I don't suppose it does or he wouldn't be able to do it...

23. Bobby Morrow

I wouldn't put it past him! I bet he's had sex with worse!

fredblue likes this.
  24. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Big fan of 1970s-era Elton John here.

fredblue likes this.
  25. fredblue

How could you forget the magnificent and golden El Dorado!? ;) :D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.