Wes Anderson - upcoming box set of 10 soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/pictures/7-perfectly-scored-wes-anderson-scenes-20140305

Not many details as of yet (crossing my fingers for vinyl) but this will be quite an amazing collection. I'm a huge fan of Anderson's visual and aural stylings, and his soundtracks are always fantastic.

LavidDange likes this.
  2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've only got the Tennenbaums one on CD, but the Darjeeling Lmtd and Mr. Fox soundtracks are memorable. The use of the Kinks song in DL is great, even if the movie doesn't feel totally fleshed out (to me).

I haven't tried this, but I'd bet that lots of Brian Wilson's Smile album would synch up well with The Life Aquatic. That is the real (reel) soundtrack to that film, in my mind. I thought that was two ships of an affinity passing in the night that might have at least shot a couple flares at each other.

3. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this as well.

4. mep

mep Forum Resident

On vinyl this would be a real treasure. Hopefully it will not be as ridiculous expensive as the Tim Burton CD OST - box set releases a few years ago...

5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

By the way..."I Saved Latin! A Tribute to Wes Anderson" is going to be released soon >>> click

It also features a cover version of "This Time Tomorrow". You can listen to it here >>> click

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Looks promising - thanks for the info.

7. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Still no release date/preorder for the box? Very interested in knowing the price (so I can start saving now).

8. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

10? He's only directed 8 feature length films. Are they including shorts in this collection?

9. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Agree. Side note, what the heck is up with the download being more expensive than the physical CD? I tell ya.

10. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I read that the Seu Jorge album of Bowie covers is going to be included in addition to the Life Aquatic soundtrack so that makes 9..

LavidDange likes this.
  11. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

12. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

And I guess if they compiled the songs he used in his shorts, that would make 10.

13. amoergosum

14. amoergosum

15. amoergosum

16. amoergosum

17. amoergosum

I'm listening to the album stream right now...this is a wonderful tribute!
    I love Elk City's version of 'Play With Fire'.

18. amoergosum

There's just one awful cover version on the tribute album and that's 'Street Fighting Man' (Mike Watt & The Secondmen).
    They shouldn't have included it.

19. amoergosum

"I Saved Latin! A Tribute to Wes Anderson"

Dynamic Range:

Disc1: DR7
    Disc2: DR8

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

The streaming version of the "Street Fighting Man" cover sounds terrible, exhibiting encoding/compression artifacts galore. I'm pretty sure the CD version sounds better (unfortunately I don't have it here with me at work).

Watt & The Secondmen is an acquired taste, anyway, with that funky organ in place of the usual guitar for a "power trio." I appreciate that Watt continues to stretch the boundaries of expectations with his music. I can't argue that it's a particularly "successful" cover version, but I sort of get what they were going for here, slowing down and subverting the groove of the original version.

21. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Brudy and sans_matty like this.
  22. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

Brudy likes this.
  23. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

24. GuruAskew

GuruAskew Forum Resident

This box set has been rumored since at least the Life Aquatic days. I'm glad it hasn't been abandoned and I'm pleased that it has apparently been updated along with the films itself but I'm not holding my breath for it to materialize any time soon.

25. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Do we know if the box set is still happening? I only see the Life Aquatic soundtrack...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.