Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is a go...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by progrocker71, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Since we finally saw Captain America, I was able to catch up on the last two episodes of S.H.I.E.L.D. Very good shows. This is the first time Colson and the Chinese Kung-Fu lady actually had to act, and I was glad to see they were very convincing at conveying a wider range of emotions than just A to B. I did not for a moment expect the treacherous character we just discovered -- that's one of the most surprising things I've ever seen in a dramatic American series.

Ratings went up a little bit, so maybe the audience is noticing. These last two shows were the first time I felt like they were no longer writing episodes by the numbers and just doing expected crap. These really broke out of the pack and kept things moving.

kevywevy likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ruth Negga is back which raises my interest in the show. Her character isn't much of a villainess, but she's so lovely I don't care. Ethiopian and Irish. . . that would almost totally cover my child and adolescent awakening interests in the fairer sex. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Django likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I tried to watch Agents Of Shield this week. I turned it off after 15 minutes because of the obnoxious logos and ad that didn't leave the screen after 15 minutes. The show looked relatively good but that mess in the right hand corner P'ed me off.

4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Clark Gregg is a horrible actor. That little tirade he did in this week's ep was just silly.
    Everyone else is far better at their craft than he, and most are way younger & "greener". He is a limiting factor in this show.

All imo, of course.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You know, in this case, I agree. My wife and I were discussing this after the episode. He's a much better actor in the movies when he uses that deadpan delivery of his humorous lines, and even in his comedic role in New Adventures of Old Christine. The "angry, serious, menacing" agent Colson just doesn't work, IMHO. I don't think Gregg has the chops to pull it off convincingly, and that hurts Colson's credibility as a team leader.

I am surprised I feel this way now, as I generally like Clark Gregg in the vehicles mentioned above.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was definitely impressed by the acting of Colson and Kung-Fu Lady in the most recent episode; I even found her sympathetic for the first time.

The only character I really dislike now is Hacker Girl.

7. Lonson

Yeah, she's beeyoutifull, but I just don't buy that she would be put into this team and her character really doesn't do much for me.

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like Skye, she's a typical Whedon-babe and I find her entertaining.

Vidiot and jpelg like this.
  9. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Agreed (re: Skye)

10. I agree but she's the everyman character the audience can identify with. I think her character has to be somewhat bland for that to work.

11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I couldn't disagree more. I think he's been doing the part as written -- a dull guy on the surface who's capable of fairly deep thinking and being emotional when he needs to be. But I thoroughly believed his anger and frustration in these last two episodes. In fact, I sat up and kind of said, "wow, I wish we'd had this version of Colson from the very beginning."

One puzzling thing: the actor in real-life has a black belt in martial arts, but he sure doesn't seem to use it much in the show.

13. progrocker71

Clark Gregg was excellent in Much Ado About Nothing, perfect balance of the comedic and dramatic. Highly recommended.

14. progrocker71

Amy Acker! The character of "the cellist" was first mentioned back in Iron Man 2. There is a sequence where Pepper Potts asks Coulson how his relationship with the cellist is going. 4 years later we get to meet her.

[​IMG]

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Aaaaaaaaaand... they've pulled me back in! :thumbsup:

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Lonson

Looks as if she's in two episodes.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

These last few episodes have been great. This was kind of what I expected from the beginning.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just renewed by ABC today. They've also announced a companion show that takes place in 1946, just after the disappearance of Captain America, titled Marvel's Agent Carter, all about the origins of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the 1940s.

[​IMG]

Agent Carter follows the story of Peggy Carter (Atwell). It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.

I think this will be a tough sell, and I also think doing a TV series set in the 1940s will be a hugely complicated, expensive effort. But I like the actress and I liked both Captain America movies very much, so maybe it'll be OK. And I agree that the last few episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have been a huge improvement over the first half of the series.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abc-picks-up-marvel-agent-carter-renews-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/

DreadPikathulhu and Dr. Pepper like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I gave up on this show completely earlier this winter, but I heard good things about more recent episodes, so I jumped back in and watched the last several on demand (starting with the two parter with the ever reliable Bill Paxton). I've been pleasantly surprised by how much tighter and more exciting the show is now, dropping some of the more self consciously cutesy ticks that bugged me earlier on. They've really turned things upside down for S.H.I.E.L.D. now. I'm glad to hear that it got renewed, though this new spin off sounds a bit shaky to me.

20. Lonson

I'm still not that jazzed by this show, with Ruth Nega being the biggest draw from me just for the eye candy. Will finish out the season but that may be it. We'll see.

Encouraged by the new show, Atwell is very good, and if they can make it far less "cutesy" and "team-bickering" it will hold my interest more. A comic book show set in the 'forties has lots of Golden Age potential benefits. . . .

21. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

This is fine by me. I don't watch many regular TV shows, so another Marvel spin-off won't be hard to add to the list of three or four I watch now. I haven't reached my Marvel saturation point by a long shot.

22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I agree the last few episodes has been much better.

23. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I agree that the show has upped its game in the last three or so weeks. Lots to love in this week's ep.

Particularly liked Coulson & May's scene, channeling Fitz & Simmons inside Cybertek:
    [​IMG]

"Skye, Trip - prepare for a large file transfer"

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to hear it's renewed...

Ever since Hydra kicked into gear the show has been a lot of fun to watch...

Really liked Agent Carter in the first Captain America so I'll give it a shot.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They are calling "Agent Carter" a direct to series order, but it did get a quasi-pilot in the form of the Agent Carter "Marvel One-Shot" that appeared as an extra on the Iron Man 3 home video release. It was pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.