Can we definitively list bands which were "killed" by grunge/Nirvana?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

much like today they didn't want them.

Van Halen helped build MTV. I don't think it would have been the same.

in 1995 Van Halen shot two videos in Amsterdam where alex and eddie are from.......after they finished them they gave them to MTV and MTV refused to air them and told them they were not interested anymore.

there is also that odd story that I always find telling of Eddie Van Halen really liking nirvana and showing up backstage at their show in LA and asking to play with them and Kurt Cobain said no and told him to leave.

Every other band would have flipped out if eddie wanted to play with them.

ian christopher likes this.
  2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I made this point earlier, and it bears repeating. In 1987, rap was seen as a novelty by suburbia. By 1992, it was an established genre competing with rock for the white teenage audience.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have heard that there is a lot more to that story.

4. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I still like that record, I guess I like all of their records. Without Robbin's input its a different kind of record but I still like it.

the big mistake Ratt made at that time, you know besides drugs and not liking each other that much was Stephen pearcy not wanting to open for motley crue on the Dr.Feelgood tour......that would have been huge for them but pearcy said no.

those bands all toured/recorded everyday of the year for about 6 to 7 years and were exhausted in that time period anyway.

5. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Most likely. I am just remembering bits of it off the top of my head from Ian Christe's book everybody wants some the van halen saga!

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

According to Pat Smear, EVH was wasted, and then made racist comments about Smear, when Kurt told him no, he could not play with them.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You have that Eddie & Kurt story SO screwed up and flipped. Eddie was a drunken fool that made racist comments towards Pat Smear. I posted the story recently here because believe it or not Kurt was a huge fan and it really bummed him out that Eddie was such a bell-end.

"Eddie’s excessive drinking begins to take a toll. One night in 1993 at the height of the grunge years, a drunken Eddie appears backstage for a Nirvana concert at the Forum. He reportedly begs Kurt Cobain to let him join the band on stage, explaining, “I’m all washed up; you are what’s happening now.” He also, for unexplained reasons, supposedly sniffs Cobain’s deodorant before calling Nirvana’s half-black rhythm guitarist Pat Smear a “Mexican” and a “Raji.” Needless to say, he is not allowed on stage."

EasterEverywhere and ToddH like this.
  8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Do you read what your posting?!?!
    If you "can't expect" an Aussie band too be "Grunge" how in the world can you "expect" them too???
    That makes no sense.

We diss-a-greED, OK, just don't miss represent what i postED.
    i postED you posted "You can't expect an Aussie band to just sound like grunge", actually highlighting it in bold from your exact post.
    i postED "on stage". i didn't say you said "on stage" (you do understand the point fans take fashion cues from stage wear more than non-stage wear i hope tho).
    i did not compare "Silverchair" too "INXS".

Still cracks me up tho that you think today's "HipHop" artists/fans are wearing backward baseball caps cause of early nineties "Grunge".

And it's "EDweird... EDweird... EDweird... EDweird, ha, ha!!
    Enjoy.

9. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I was 14 in 1991, in love with music and mtv. I absolutely loved all the bands on mtv......metal/rock/pop anything....
    everyone I knew in my suburb white/black/Asian all loved it also......there was power in those big guitars...

by 1991 I would say 85% of the kids I knew had ditched everything for Rap......

their collections went from van halen/judas priest/ratt/bon jovi/rush to Public enemy/NWA/The ghetto boys etc...

rock starts were viewed as wimps and rappers were the new bullies. David lee roth couldn't get a second of these peoples time once chuck D and Ice Cube showed up.

I feel it is still that way today for most......

thank god not me.

10. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Yep, I didn't do it intentionally I just forgot the rest. I didn't include eddie was drunk because well....when wasn't eddie drunk in a story?

the pat smear thing I remember reading also....

my point was still, Had a drunken eddie Van halen walked into poison/great white/winger's dressing room and called bret michaels a queer or something they still would have bent over backwards to play with him...

11. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I loathe Kurt but I usually keep mum to avoid being offensive to his legion of fans. This is one of the primary reasons for my dislike of him.

His attacks on Eddie Vedder were uncalled for too and crass and trashy.

12. ian christopher

Elvis Costello made racist comments to Bonnie Bramlett, but rock crit intelligentsia worship Costello while denigrating EVH.

13. ian christopher

Pearcy seems more humble these days, if his FB posts are any indication. Juan Croucier is a wonderful fella from the brief chats we've had.

14. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

His book is a really fun read.

he had the line to sum up the sunset strip and the 80's metal and mtv thing....

He called the sunset strip in the 80's Woodstock for people who hated hippies.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You loathe him because you believe a twisted up and inaccurate remembrance?

16. ian christopher

That's a start.

Would you prefer if I list the dozens of other reason, or just move on?

17. ian christopher

What was your remembrance of said event?

18. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

again, I didn't twist it up.....I just forgot the pat smear thing...I read the book a long time ago...sorry.

you act like I said kurt cobain went crazy and told him to die or something.

19. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think a lot of it had to do with production. Even though it was rough sounding around the edges Nevermind had this huge radio friendly production courtesy of Butch Vig. Husker Du even at their most accessable still always sounded like a college band IMHO. Mould's later band Sugar, regardless of whether the songwriting was better that Husker Du, was made for radio.

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You mean Eddie Van Halen?

And loathe is such a strong word, what did he do, run over your dog?

21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Nirvana wasn't some instant mouthwash that killed the bad breath of 80s wimp-rock on their own. Metallica and Guns N Roses were the first major bands that started the counter-action. I would argue that Grunge was in fact riding the wave started by the success of Metallica, Guns N Roses and to a lesser extent, The Black Crowes.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. ian christopher

You and the other guy are asking me for a list, right?

23. ian christopher

Fair Warning was considerably grungier than anything Nirvana ever released.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. ian christopher

I only have Zen Arcade on disc, but I'll relisten to see if Cobain stole as much from HD as he did from Killing Joke, The Pixies, and Boston.

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Personally I think it had more to do with the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" which seemed to come out of nowhere and then a bit later Pearl Jam being there to continue the wave.

Hamhead likes this.