Listened to LOVE, Forever Changes 100 times, now I love it.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I did get and and yes, as soon as I heard the drumming on track one (August) it just floored me! :D What an album; I'm so pleased I got this at long last. I did already know Always See Your Face as it's one of the bonus tracks on the 2003 Forever Changes Concert DVD. Amazing to hear the 60s studio version, finally - a very haunting song yes and that's what touches me about FC in a big way.

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My favorite track is Andmoreagain. Great stuff!

3. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Re FC: I know I have mentioned before, but while many single out You Set The Scene (and rightly so), the centerpiece of the album to me is The Red Telephone.

4. I think it's a highly overrated album, but still a very good one. Got most of it on the iPod. :)

5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Life it too short and I'm too old to try again, especially that many times. But I'm glad the OP gets enjoyment from this. Any music that makes you happy is good music.

Rickchick and OneStepBeyond like this.
  6. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

Very interesting (from Wikipedia on FC album)................ "The album was the first to be produced by Arthur Lee, with assistance from Bruce Botnick. Originally, the album was to be produced by Botnick and Neil Young, but Young bowed out due to his commitments to Buffalo Springfield. According to the liner notes of the 1995 compilation Love Story, Young stuck with the album project long enough to arrange the track "The Daily Planet." Young, however, has denied such involvement."

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  7. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

This deserves Likes from everyone! :edthumbs:

ibanez_ax likes this.
  8. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

Speaking of the band Love I first heard them when I was a 6 year old kid and their radical reworking of a Burt Bacharach/Hal David song was my favorite in 1966.
    As a sort of tribute to that memory I learned the song and recorded it as a stripped down solo acoustic number:

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

“If it sounds good, it IS good.” - Duke Ellington.

10. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I need to try that.

If you are going to do Smile, make yourself a playlist of the first 20 tracks on disc 1 of The Smile Sessions. If you slog through all the extras, the magic may not happen. You can listen to them later.

11. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

Well, he specifically mentioned Brian Wilson's Smile. Which is absolutely the way I would go with introducing the material to someone. Sure, there's magic in those 60's tapes, and he can immerse himself in those later.

BWPS has a magic of it's own: it's the most complete version we'll ever get and, more importantly, it provides a happy ending to what was in many ways a very tragic rock tale.

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Hearing the Beach Boys vocals trumps anything else for me.

13. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Definitely. Brian's obviously still present, but he's nowhere near as vocally good as he used to be.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I never didn't like it. The Alone Again Orr intro sucked me in.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Thanks guys. You made me stick my vinyl copy of Love Revisited on. Like I'm complaining. ;)

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Only 100 times? You've just begun to scratch the surface. Please listen 100 more times. :agree:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Last year at FYF, Ty Segall ended his set with a cover of Live and Let Live. I was already leaving my spot for the next set when "oh the snot has caked against my pants" rang across the park. It was nice to hear some of this music come to life, especially out in LA where it came from.

I don't remember if I loved this album at first listen, but I sure liked it a lot. I consider it the bible for effective pauses or start/stops in music (the four Alone Again Or verses, The Good Humor Man and it's chopped ending, the section conjoining the two parts of You Set The Scene).

Nielsoe likes this.
  18. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

How do you guys like Calexico's cover?

19. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Wow. Just think of all the other things you could have listened to... :shake:

20. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

But not side 2? ;) :winkgrin:

21. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member Thread Starter

I have been trying to like the other LOVE albums with limited success. Not as polished, especially the first one.

Pet Sounds is in my Top Five but Smile has always been a failed project, even bought the recent Cd release.

Good Vibrations is maybe the greatest song ever but he just couldn't get it together after that. If he had had some people with him that were brilliant too, he would have made it over a long period of time but his brothers could sing and nothing more, just baggage really. Too much pressure on any one man.

He was the whole package, in fact, I think Brian Wilson is one of the 3 greatest American singer/songwriters of all time along with Dylan and Springsteen. From 63 to 66, his output was just staggering.

22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Giving Forever Changes another try. I've had the CD for a long time, but seldom listen to it. Just one of those discs that I don't ever think about playing. Maybe I'll change my mind. I have always like Alone Again Or and AndMoreAgain.

23. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

"Forever Changes" is in a class by itself and it seems it was just of it's moment. And when you listen carefully you realize how accoustic the whole album really is. It nearly all rides on Arthur's accoustic guitar. Johnny Echols just steps up for his leads. (And the orchestration is simply gorgeous and just perfect. Listen to 'Andmoreagain.') The 'Your Mind and We Belong Together' single doesn't touch that pinnacle and neither does 'Da Capo.' The first album is cool in a 'Byrds-wanna-be' sort of way, but for that one, am I the only one who thinks the guitars sound out of tune?

24. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I listened to it once and loved it, reckon its pretty straight forward album that is not as dense or complex a listen as say Bitches Brew etc. Reckon you either like it or not and its pretty easy to come to that consensus quickly with this one. On the other hand im glad you like it (finally) ahah as it is a great album.

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Okay, I have been ignoring Forever Changes for 46 years, give or take a few months.
    I found a used 2001 Rhino reissue CD today and picked it up.
    Just listened to it for the first time.
    What a unique, interesting album.
    I was truly mesmerized by all the interesting layers.
    The acoustic guitar, the orchestration, the horns and the electric guitar bits thrown in with awesome contrast.
    It grabbed my complete attention.
    Can hardly wait to find time for a second listen.
    Glen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.