Can we definitively list bands which were "killed" by grunge/Nirvana?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Apr 8, 2014.

1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Or maybe more Andy Wallace, who mixed Nevermind. Butch's mixes, some of which have been officially released, were far less polished.

Oliver likes this.
  2. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

The Replacements.... though it can be argued they killed themselves I think the grunge movement finished the job.

3. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Royal Trux, the beginning of the Alt-country boom....

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

cinderella and even poison with "every rose has its thorn" had country style songs in the 80's.

5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Who couldn't forget the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video, a instant ironic classic.
    Even better was Weird Al's parody which followed the original to the nines.
    It's sad that MTV blew it with all the terrible programming these days.
    You think with the power of the video, MTV could break in the next big thing, next trend, next Nirvana, but no.
    When it comes to videos when ever they have dead time when MTV can't dig up another rerun of Teen Mom, or My Super Sweet 16, it's the usual formula of cookie cutter bimbos, bozos, and boy bands with little of no personality.
    We'll never see anything like the various trends in music from the 80's-90's ever again.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

This is like playing chess with a pigeon. Context is everything, your theory on stage fashion is just odd, you've taken my words and applied them to everyone at any time.......then argued against it. I'm going to watch hockey and forget this ever happened.

7. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Viacom....mtv cmt etc....do not want videos or live music...there is no money in it....

They simply don't have an audience or at least that is there stance. Dukes of hazard will get more viewers than an hour of videos on cmt and I imagine teen mom 17 does the same for mtv.

Teens don't get music from tv anymore. At least on a national basis.

8. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

A Midnight Oil thread recently popped up.

Reminded me that Midnight Oil received far more airplay before Nirvana's "Nevermind" broke.

Blue Sky Mining (1989) got good airplay, while Earth Sun and Moon (1992)- hardly any airplay/

9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

"Truganini", "Outbreak Of Love", "My Country", and "Drums Of Heaven" all got decent airplay on radio/MTV.

10. ian christopher

Perhaps on 120 minutes - Influential alternative station 106.7 KROQ (Los Angeles) was playing a steady stream of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Rage Againt the Machine, Lemonheads, and Cypress Hill (?) by 1992-1993 - with nary a track by Midnight Oil, Kate Bush, Ride, Stone Roses, Robyn Hitchcock, Morrissey or the Cocteau Twins (all played often prior to 1992) receiving any airplay once Nirvana broke.

11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

KROQ is/was a great station, but there plenty of other of Modern Rock stations that were playing Midnight Oil in 1993.

Tony Bennett and Johnny Cash were getting airplay on Alternative stations, so obviously Grunge didn't kill off creative programming.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Midnight Oil were also a one hit wonder in the USA, so it is not suprising that they got little airplay in 1992. While I get that Nirvana, and other alternative rock bands under the "grunge" label certainly eclipsed other alternative rock music, it isn't like those other acts were huge to begin with. Plus a lot of non grunge alternative rock bands also enjoyed increased success. I tend to think that by 1993-1994, those 80s alternative bands had simply run their course.

13. ian christopher

On KROQ 106.7, Midnight Oil weren't a one hit wonder.

Beds are Burning was their big hit, but Dead Heart and Blue Sky Mining received a large amount of airplay between 1988 and 1991.

But by mid-late 1992, Midnight Oil had disappeared from KROQ's playlist.

14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Oh come on. Patton is an ****, I'll give you that, but he's just looking for a reaction; he's having 'fun'. He even went on to work with a couple of those guys I seem to remember, after that rant.
    Patton regularly antagonizes other acts and even his own audience. His problem is, he can't handle the boot being on the other foot. I have first hand experience of this!
    Anyway, back to Nirvana.

ian christopher likes this.
  15. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Midnight Oil got some traction in the U.S. by having a somewhat similar sound/approach to U2 (especially after The Joshua Tree came out). My take is that Achtung Baby hurt Midnight Oil far more than Grunge.

16. ian christopher

going to post a poll as to which genre Nirvana killed with the most success.

17. ian christopher

some are claiming that Nirvana didn't kill any bands.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  18. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

I know I am waaay late to the game here.....but I want to put in another big plug for Enuff Znuff.....I'm a rocker from way back and these guys were kind of lost in the shuffle of hair metal and the arrival of grunge...but let me tell you, as someone who knows my rock n roll and power pop....Enuff Znuff were/are the real deal !! Take away the glammy look of the first two or three albums...take away Derek Frigo's waaaaay over the top, whammy bar metal guitar fills on those first couple of albums....listen to their stuff from 1995 up to today...and I'm telling you, these guys are fantastic !!! Great hooks, great songwriting, great melodies...songs that stick with you like glue man ! I listen to everything "GOOD" from Elvis and Buddy, all the way up to what I can find from today, like the Grip Weeds etc etc...and I know what's "GOOD"...Enuff Znuff are "GOOD" !! A great rock n roll band ! Listening to Paraphernalia as I type this and I'm getting a 'chubby'....ha ha ! Rock on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

broccolid, Rocketdog and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Man, that "live" album from Midnight Oil that came out way back when...that thing rocks my socks off!

20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Nirvana killed off a lot of worthy or otherwise indie type acts in the UK. The Wonder Stuff were probably the biggest act in the UK in the year before 'Nevermind', they
    couldn't get arrested after 'Teen Spirit' hit.

21. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

A shame because if you wade through the sludge and crappy hair metal bands....there were some bands, like Enuff Znuff that were damned good and they all kind of fell off the earth. Another shame is that Nirvana was done within a couple of years themselves....

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I disagree. People can't like different bands within the same genre? Maybe Midnight Oil had limited appeal in the US. Diesel &Dust was a great album that I couldn't play enough , and Blue Sky Mining was almost it's equal. Earth Sun and Moon was decent, but I don't believe that it's lack of success had anything to do with U2 releasing Achtung Baby. After all, The Joshua Tree didn't prevent Diesel & Dust from being a sizable hit in the States. On the other hand,perhaps Peter Garrett wasn't perceived as fuzzy and lovable as Bono was. If I recall correctly, he was pretty outspoken about issues relating to subjects we're not at liberty to discuss here, which is a big turn-off for a sizable percentage of American listeners--even those who were inclined to be fans of Oil's hard-charging brand of rock and Garrett's compelling (to say the least) stage presence. In fact, didn't he put his career on hold to run for Parliament in Australia?

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

MTV would have a very difficult time breaking ANYTHING these days, since the internet is so much more instant, viral and widely used. It's all online. If MTV didn't kill itself, the internet eventually would have.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The big money is in original programming. Even The Weather Channel. Do you remember when the WC was basically a grey or blue screen with typed weather information and scroll alerts? It was often the default station in motel rooms. In other words it was something on in the background that you occasionally payed attention to. Now you have to look hard to find your actual local weather forecast with all the weather themed disaster docs they run. MTV--when you really get down to it--operated the same way originally. It operated as a radio with pictures, so it was often on in bars , which where I first saw MTV the night it premiered, or at parties. Few people actually watched videos for hours on end--and in fact you changed it if a song you hated came on. Then slowly, they introduced original shows. Most music-lovers didn't care because the shows they introduced were music-themed. Then....The Real World came on, and that was that. That it wasn't really "real" didn't matter- the "M" in "MTV" was superfluous.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    melstapler likes this.
  25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Agree, styles come and go, everything has an expiration date.