MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks and sorry that I jumped to conclusions. I must admit that I have stopped using MSFL sleeves when I first discovered the problem. I am using diskeeper from sleevecityusa.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I have this issue with one batch of 50 sleeves buyed on music direct... later they send me a replacement they claim that the replacement are fixed... I use on some records and yes I dont see the issue.

I still dont clean the records with the first batch... :/ I need a RCM, I dont have.

the new mofi sleeves have a different artwork? yellow with black?

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes, the new stock doesn't have the problem, but if you have older stock that you haven't checked or replaced, you may have the problem lurking in your collection. This also applies to any sealed MoFi vinyl from about the last year or so, as the same sleeves were used for their own releases. Any new sleeves purchased now, well at least from Music Direct, should not have the problem. Stock from other sellers could still be from the defective batch though.

mikeyt and 5-String like this.
  4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

new stock are different artwork? this: http://www.musicdirect.com/images/product/large/AMFIS.jpg that could be a good signal to identify the new ones without issues.

I try the diskeeper's yes good but I prefer the flimsy mofis! more fine touch for records, the diskeepers are more heavy... but yes so bad about the mofi issue. I hope dont see it again!

5. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Phew. I had completely forgotten about this thread and took delivery last week of 150 sleeves from music Direct (3 packs with the artwork shown). Hadn't broke into them yet...

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wow, I forgot about this too. I wonder how much of my collection I have to check.

I don't really use MoFi sleeves that much but I do keep them on the Mofi albums I purchase. I also use them if the album has a hard inner sleeve and I slide the Mofi in there.

I think the Sleeve City Ultimate Audiophile Sleeve blows them out of the water for pure quality. The Mofis are too flimsy and like to fold, which I consider a huge fault.

GreatTone likes this.
  7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've had the same problem, I've switched to MA Recordings inner sleeves they are pricey but are softer and breathable.

8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I used over a thousand of the QRP sleeves from Acoustic Sounds and have had no issues that I can see. They are less expensive than the Mofi sleeves in bulk ($72.25/250 vs $85/250) and identical to them, except for the printing. I was told they are all made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

What are the differences between QRP, MoFi, and Disckeeper?

10. Josquin des Prez

I haven't used DiskKeeper, but Mofi and QRP are exactly the same. I have both, but now I use QRP exclusively since they cost less (but you have to buy 250 minimum).

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I use Disckeeper audiophile sleeves. The back side is thicker giving more support when sliding back into my outer sleeves. I was wondering if the material was any different. I hate when the flimsy MoFi ones crumple when I put it back in

12. Josquin des Prez

I have 3000 LPs lined with Mofi or QRP sleeves. That has mostly not been a problem for me. Often I will just slide the Mofi/QRP sleeve inside the original sleeve.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah the Diskeeper is thicker and that is better as far as providing more support to the record.
    The only problem that I have with it is that sometimes due to its thickness it is difficult to slide it in the cover. Nothing major but occasionally you have to force it in.

14. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I use the Diskeeper Ultimate sleeves now also. At first I thought they were too thick, but now everything else seems too flimsy. I also like how you can see both sides of the label.

As I mentioned way back in this thread, those pink sleeves on records pressed at RTI have the same problem -- they leave a sticky white residue. For a long time I thought it was some weird pressing flaw where a person's handprints kept reappearing even after I cleaned them. I finally figured out it was my own prints, caused by grasping the sleeve. The ones at fault are the matte finish pink/translucent ones. The shiny later ones (both clear and pink) don't seem to have this problem, though I hate those too and can't figure why they insist on using them for premium pressings. The edges are super sharp and scratch the crap out of the vinyl surface if it ever makes contact going in or out. Sadly, I discovered hundreds of albums that I owned with the defective pink sleeves, most of them double 45 rpm LPs, including almost the entire run of Music Matters. Cleaning every one of those truly sucked, and took nearly a month in weeknights out of my life. Can the vinyl industry do any more to shoot themselves in the foot? I think they are maxed out, but am prepared to be surprised at their ingenuity.

15. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I am also not a fan of those pink inner sleeves, they easily cause scratches. I replace them immediately.

hvbias likes this.
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont think Diskeeper are better for be thicker than the flimsy Mofi's (ok everyone have his taste ;) but I prefer the flimsy mofi's ... are more soft for touch the record, I have some diskeeper audiophile and yes are more ticker but thats not good for me, even have some little black dots between materials, that could cause damage to the record is push hard... (maybe Im paranoid and that dots dont cause damage but we dont know, its feel that dots with the finger, not good if you ask me, Mofis are plain) so my choose are Mofis or QRP (I dont test yet) but seems to be just a mofi clone.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Actually, I also kind of like the feel of the MFSL inner sleeves, although I am very happy with the Diskeeper and I don't plan to go back to the MFSL anytime soon.

18. Josquin des Prez

I was told the Mofi and QRP sleeves are exactly the same, all made the same, in the same Chinese plant.

19. Kumar Plocher

Kumar Plocher Well-Known Member

A month ago I bought a pack of 50 Mofi inner sleeves from Turntable Labs, thru Amazon. I'm hoping no residue. I haven't even opened that box yet. I'll post the results, for better or for worse.

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I believe that. They look and feel essentially the same.

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I used to buy disckeeper sleeves, but got tired of paying the high shipping costs. Thankfully a local shop sells the mofi sleeves pack of 50 for $19.99. I never had an issue with residue, and now I actually prefer the mofi. They are softer and I think in the long run, will protect the vinyl better.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont understand why you get the "white dirty" thing.. again after cleaning... I even can remove that thing with my finger!!! is so easy to remove... maybe your inners affected more? mmm strange... like I say in my case was so easy to remove, even with the finger or soft cloth.

23. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

Though of course what you removed with your finger or soft cloth was what you could see with the naked eye, you could almost guarantee there would be minute residue left behind in the grooves (& using a finger probably forced more of the stuff into the grooves)

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

you mean... if we check with a microscope, the residue still is there? but even with a RCM, some steps of liquids and brushes are not removable??? wow if not!!! what thing is that? why is so hard to remove...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  25. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Weird that this would come up again today. I bought 3 of the recent Sinatra LP releases from Mofi and when I opened them today, 2 of them had nasty white residue from the faulty inner sleeves. Sucks. And my third copy of Sketches of Spain has visible nonfill. What's going on there?