Any Bruce Cockburn fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I would be interested in the album by album thread. Also traveling the globe helps understand Bruce's world view (it has in my case any way).I have lived How I Spent My Fall Vacation many times searching out the far reaches of our tiny planet... Americans are not travellers by and large so a lot of his music seems obtuse to many here in the USA.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Two Cockburn threads on page one. I better get a screen capture. :)

3. recordgeek

recordgeek Forum Resident

I came across this thread while looking for some info on Night Vision. Night Vision happens to have a couple of my favourite Cockburn tunes - Foxglove and Mama Just Wants to Barrelhouse.

Great guitar work on Foxglove, and like a lot of the True North vinyl records from the 70's and 80's, an overall quality recording.

You can listen to a song like Tokyo on Humans and swear he's standing right in front of you picking.

Folknik likes this.
  4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm working my way through his catalog right now. The stuff I like, I really like, but... There's more than a little filler on some records IMO. Also, some of his songs could benefit from editing - they'd make great 4 minute songs but at 6-8 minutes, he loses me. I saw him live a few years ago and was very disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Very cool guitar work on Tokyo also!

rockinlazys likes this.
  6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have 24 of his albums from his debut through the 90s. I first became aware of him when another Canadian artist, Anne Murray, covered his Musical Friends on one of her early albums. A songwriter's songwriter and an amazing guitarist.

Gilliam and rockinlazys like this.
  7. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I took a stab at Tokyo.... found a video of Tokyo scenes that went with it:

recordgeek and eelkiller like this.
  8. rockinlazys

Holy S%&* Gil thank you so much for that version! Covering Bruce is no easy task and I thought you really pulled it off nicely...

Gilliam likes this.
  9. Gilliam

Hey thanks so much for listening! I know there's not much interest in amateur renditions by guys like me who just do it for fun.... no desire to be commercial or pursue being a starving musician... just having fun playing it, nothing more.
    I'll keep my day job! That's why I truly appreciate your comment and taking the time!

rockinlazys likes this.
  10. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

My parents saw Bruce in a little brownstone basement club in Montreal in 1968. In 75 when we were living on a little back to the land farm about an hour of Halifax NS, right on the Atlantic Coast, they brought home Joy Will Find A Way. I was 9 and Cockburn became the soundtrack of my Canadian Childhood. I have purchased every single thing Bruce has released, in some cases four different pressings. My favorite epoch is through Humans but there has been good in everything he has released. Someone said it earlier, no one does the mystical like Cockburn. I am very in for the album by album thread. If someone doesn't start it soon, I will.

jordanb87 and rockinlazys like this.
  11. rockinlazys

Okonrad, wonderful post.

12. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Many people here have mentioned that they think Rocket Launcher is a good song. Sadly no one mentioned Rumors of Glory or Wondering where the lion's are, 2 much better songs IMHO, of course.

13. I have two songbooks of his songs and Tokyo (and maybe Burn) is the only song I can manage to play half-decently. He plays very complicated stuff on guitar. I have seen him live many times (he even commented on my girlfriend's lawn chair once!) and he has always been terrific.

rockinlazys likes this.
  14. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Big fan here. From his debut to today, he still sound relevant.

15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Another big fan. Spinning "In The Falling Dark" as we speak.

jeff

16. Gilliam

Here's a live in studio performance of Tibetan Side Of Town that I matched up with some Roayl Enfield Bullet motorcycles riding through Katmandu and Tibetan country:

kevywevy likes this.
  17. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I may have posted this earlier in this thread, but "Call It Democracy" and "Last Night of the World" are two of the best songs ever written by anyone. Period.

Folknik and Gilliam like this.
  18. Gilliam

Hey if you posted it earlier I missed it and besides, it's worth repeating!

19. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

As far as whole albums go, for me, he has never bettered:
    "High Winds, White Sky"
    "Sunwheel Dance"
    "Joy Will Find a Way"
    "Further Adventures of"
    "Dancing in The Dragons Jaws"

And although its mostly a compilation I just love "Mummy Dust" if only for my all time favourite song of his "Dweller By a Dark Stream" plus the artwork on that album cover is awesome.
    Since 1980 I could probably compile a great 2 CD set but most of his material since then has left me cold.. far too much politics and too many almost "spoken word" pieces and way too much boring band material whereas I prefer my Bruce unplugged, solo and actually singing as opposed to speaking his songs, which was how I was introduced to him live way back in 1983 .. solo acoustic and absolutely stunning. Its a real shame he has almost completely abandoned anything pre 1980 in the live shows. I'd kill for a show of nothing but 70's material!

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  20. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

I suggested a BC album thread a long time ago and actually starting working on a review. However, life pressures took over and I never finished my planned first post. I'll try to dig it out this weekend and dust it off. I got to meet the man a few years ago in Kansas City standing by a dumpster near the back of the venue he was playing at that night. He surprised me with just how genuine a human he is... We will have to be careful of how we treat some of the material as it can be very polarizing, on the other hand, that's part of the appeal to me...

21. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

jordanb87 likes this.
  22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

eelkiller and jordanb87 like this.
  23. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

This link gives the track lists for each disc:

http://truenorth.labelstore.ca/releases/620638060124-bruce-cockburn-rumours-of-glory-box-set.html

There's also a bundle with BC's new book Rumours of Glory:

This bundle includes the Bruce Cockburn memoir, Rumours of Glory, a 500 page book detailing Bruce's life as well as the CD box set.

Highlights of this box set include

• Each box set is autographed and sequentially numbered

• 117 tracks including 16 rare and previously unreleased songs.

• Previously unreleased live DVD filmed over 3 shows in 2008

• 90+ page book featuring rare photos, extensive track information and liner notes by Nicholas Jennings

• 9 discs housed in a custom box

http://truenorth.labelstore.ca/releases/bcbundle-22448.html

[​IMG]

24. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Bruce will be performing at the opening of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights here in Winnipeg this weekend. A great choice given his social awareness. I didn't know he wrote a memoir, that should be a great read!

25. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

I concur. I'm more interested in the book than the new set as I have this material in multiple media formats. Of course the rarities disc and the DVD will be new!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.