"Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Vol. 2" coming to blu-ray 10/16/12!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I want the new CGI ones that I've seen, they look amazing, when are they going to be released?

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Volume three is finally coming August 12. That's almost two years after volume two! I read a rumor a while back that volume three may be the last BD release, due to poor sales:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13740

3. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon.com has their pre-order page for "Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 3" up and running...price is $40.48 for the 3-disc box set...sadly, I think this WILL, in fact, be the last of the series as "Vol. 2" did NOT meet their hoped-for sales volume...

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I will have to get this.

Pat

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Is it any wonder they don't sell? WB continues to double, triple, and quadruple-dip their classic cartoons, while hundreds remain unreleased on home video.

They start numbered collections, end them after a few volumes, then restart the whole shebang with the next popular home video format.

I gave up with the Golden Collection DVDs (although I did buy the Sniffles/Hubie & Bertie blu-ray set as it was mostly new).

I love Merrie Melodies & Looney Tunes cartoons and now simply record them off Cartoon Network to get ones that WB seems unwilling to release (stuff like "No Parking Hare" and "Tom Tom Tomcat). (The CN bug in the corner is annoying, but the cartoons are presented in their original 4:3 aspect ratio.)

rod, PhantomStranger and OldSoul like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I only have Volume 1, but rarely ever pull it out unless my grandsons are here. Just another part of my past I've left in my past.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah I think ideally they should just release them all chronologically by year, including "banned" ones with a disclaimer before them.

Not only would it be good for completions sake, but I think it would be a better viewing experience, too. Right now, they're arranged so you watch 10 Bugs Bunny cartoons, then 10 Daffy Duck cartoons, then 10 Tweety cartoons, etc. (just making up an example, you get the idea). That can be a little tiresome, especially when a lot of the same lines/gags get reused.

Plus if they released them by year I could stop buying them around 1950 or so, which is when the quality drops off, in my opinion.

8. I think it will be a cold day in hell before Warner Bros. issues a complete, comprehensive home version of their cartoons in remastered condition. They are comfortable with the piecemeal approach aimed at the casual market.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

You're probably right.

But after getting me for every VHS, LD, and DVD release, I refuse to buy into the blu-ray do-over.

I'm sure I'm not alone, and I'm also sure it's one reason why the blu-rays are not selling as well as they'd hoped.

One frustrating aspect about all this is WB has their Warner Archive division, which seems like the perfect place to offer cartoons Joe and Jane Six-pack would have no interest in.

Yet, for some reason, WB still refuses to make these classic films available.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  10. lukejosephchung

The hardcore collector demographic's been shrinking for the past decade in the retail market...under-30 customers are into streaming on Netflix, not buying these blu-rays...Warner has to step up their game and make these available through the Archives division as you say...we're not getting any younger

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

WB double-dipping on catalog? Shocking!

chilinvilin and lukejosephchung like this.
  12. lukejosephchung

Yeah...I'm about as shocked as Capt. Louis Renault that there's gambling going on at Rick's Cafe Americain!!!:winkgrin:(from "Casablanca")

beatlesfan68 likes this.
  13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Like the other volumes ,there's nothing new, just on BR, same amount of lame late toons , ,little B&W and I wonder what non remastered stuff they will give us as a extra ,more Jones stuff ,if there is any
    they done nothing in years to give us new remastered tunes that they never got around to the firs time ,like those many Avery tunes the are holding on too

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Actually, I think WB already skews too heavily on the Jones stuff.

McKimson's cartoons from his first (Daffy Doodles), through roughly '51 are all quite strong. (His cartoons only began to get more pedestrian after he had Warren Foster poached by Freleng, and then having to reassemble a team of animators after the studio got shut down/reopened due to the aborted 3D craze.)

Daffy Doodles, A-Lad-In His Lamp, and other McKimson films are top-notch and should be restored and released.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  15. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of the shorts that were selected for Volume 3 based on quality? (Regardless if they are a double dip from previous releases or not.) Is it a good selection? I ask that as somebody who has the first 2 Platinum collections on Blu-ray, but no other Looney Tunes in his collection.

16. PNeski@aol.com

there are sure plenty of good tunes ,but like the dvd sets there are some lesser tunes ,that's the way it is ,you have to live with it What makes things stink was Warner was doing Blu Ray when they started this series on DVD!! so they made us double Dip!
    by not releasing these on both formats the first time around and of course instead of doing these in order of release

17. monkish

monkish Forum Resident

??????? The first Golden Collection was released in October of 2003. Blu-ray players weren't even commercially available until 2006... and even then, Blu-ray didn't win the format battle with HD DVD until early 2008. By that point, all but one of the Golden Collections was already released (the last one, Volume 6, came out on October 21, 2008). So, to say that Warners "made us double dip" is a *big* ol' stretch.

18. PNeski@aol.com

they did 6 sets and plenty of them could have been Blu Ray too.But instead they decided to make us Double Dip

19. The roll out for the Warner sets was so haphazard and half assed that they never even completed the DVD sets. They should have just completed the series and then issued the same sets on BD rather than doing what they did.

20. They stated the same thing about the first set of DVD boxed sets at one point before releasing the BD's.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Gotta admit, I passed on vol. 2. (though I may catch up if the price is right)

After buying these on VHS, laserdisc, and DVD, going at it a fourth time seems pointless unless they shake things up a bit and release them in series. I thought Disney had the right idea with the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy series sets.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Amazon Canada has it for $20 http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1687860482&pf_rd_i=915398

23. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I feel bad for everyone who has to buy the same cartoons for the 3rd/4th time, in order to get a couple new ones. Probably a major reason why the Platinum collections haven't been selling all that well. These Platinum Collection releases definitely seem more oriented towards people such as me, who didn't purchase any of the previous DVD sets.

I did a little research, and by my count 40 of the 50 cartoons featured on volume 3 made the top 100 hundred in the following book:

[​IMG]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...oneyTunes?from=Main.The100GreatestLooneyTunes

They are the ones in bold below:

Disc 1
    Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt
    Corny Concerto, A
    Falling Hare
    Little Red Riding Rabbit
    Hair-Raising Hare
    Acrobatty Bunny
    Big Snooze, The
    Hare Grows in Manhattan, A
    Easter Yeggs
    Slick Hare
    Gorilla My Dreams
    High Diving Hare
    Hillbilly Hare
    Bunny Hugged
    Operation: Rabbit
    Bully for Bugs
    Bugs and Thugs

Knighty Knight Bugs
    Honey's Money
    Hep Cat, The
    Pigs in a Polka
    Ham in a Role
    Dog Gone South
    Bear for Punishment, A
    Steal Wool

Disc 2
    Porky Pig's Feat
    Scrap Happy Daffy
    Plane Daffy
    Stupid Cupid, The
    Draftee Daffy
    Nasty Quacks
    Stupor Salesman, The
    Wholly Smoke
    Swooner Crooner

Life with Feathers
    Canary Row
    Tree for Two
    Sandy Claws
    Dog Pounded
    Satan's Waitin'
    Birds Anonymous

Mouse and Garden
    Pied Piper of Guadalupe, The
    Gruesome Twosome, A
    Guided Muscle

Beep Prepared
    Walky Talky Hawky
    Rhapsody in Rivets
    High Note
    Nelly's Folly

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  24. PNeski@aol.com

I wouldn't go by that Book

25. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

In case anyone is interested, there are NO "new" cartoons on the third blu-ray collection...

Every cartoon has been released to home video in some earlier format (VHS, LD, or DVD), and 42 of the 50 have been released on DVD.

What's more, 33 of the 50 cartoons have been released on VHS, LD, and DVD...

The blu-ray sets are just another lost opportunity for WB to do things right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.