Brain Salad Surgery 40th remaster official...........finally

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Icenine1, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just looking at this I notice that the Manticore Special documentary is the same one already available on the From The Beginning box set. In my opinion it was 'see once never again'. For me, and given that I'm not interested in the vinyl, that does tip the balance in favour of the regular edition.

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm hoping for this too. But that would make too much sense.

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Prog magazine has confirmed that the 3 disc set is the album remastered on CD 1, CD 2 is the same as CD 2 in the super deluxe set and the DVD-A as the 3rd disc.

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Bless you! You've just made my day :goodie:

hi_watt and jl151080 like this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to thank you for your purchase of the Emerson Lake and Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary bundle.

We are e-mailing to notify you that there has been a release date change for these bundles. Due to a manufacturing delay these items will now begin shipping approximately 6/17/14.

Once these items arrive to our facilities all orders will be immediately shipped and you will receive tracking via email!

If you have any questions, or need to update your address/information on the order.
    Please email us at [email protected] with your order number & information regarding the changes you need made.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

-Merchnow Staff

6. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Very disappointed fan here. What can else is there to do but wait.

7. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Amazon uk has a realese date of May 12.

8. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am disappointed in the whole release. They should have had a number of live BSS shows during the period to add to the Super Deluxe.

9. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

No
    Nope. They contacted me with the delay notification just before the news was posted here.

10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Damn them !!!

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Let's hope they are spending the time proof reading it a few times after all the errors on the Deluxe version that came out a few years ago!

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

It's been remastered 39 times already? :winkgrin:

sound chaser and hi_watt like this.
  13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I'm skipping this one. The earlier 5.1 mix is OK to me. This was one of my least favorite albums of theirs. It does go on and on, doesn't it? Still... U Turn Me On sounds like a parody of an ELP ballad... what's with that hammy wah-wah pedal? Someone get me a ladder! :laugh:

ian christopher likes this.
  14. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

This may be the case until we hear the new 5.1 mix. BSS and Trilogy are my fav ELP albums.

15. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I'm also gonna wait for comparisons between the old and new mixes for Brain Salad Surgery. I have the earlier 5.1 mix, and it seemed like a fun mix. It isn't my fav ELP album either; I mainly just listen to the Karn Evil 9 suite. Unless if the surround mix is just stupendously mind blowing, I'll keep what I got and wait for Trilogy and be done.

masterbucket likes this.
  16. Skip Reynolds

I don't want or need a vinyl copy, and I already have the Manticore Special, but this still leaves the 3rd disc in the megabox unaccounted for: "new stereo versions." Somehow that sounds a little too vague for me, and I've just cancelled the Megabox order and signed on for the ELP Store 3 disc set, which I now know has everything I want at about 1/4 the price.
    I can always reconsider if new scat comes to light regarding the "new stereo versions."

17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

As I understand it, disc 3 of the super deluxe box will be a new stereo mix of the album by Steven Wilson.

18. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

I read Steven Wilson stepped out of the ELP reissues after he remixed the first two ELP albums. Something along the lines that he will only work on albums he really loves and the rest of ELP's catalogue just doesn't do it for him that way. I think the new stereo version will be done by Jakko Jakszyk.

19. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The new stereo and 5.1 mixes are indeed done by Jakko, and same goes for Trilogy whenever that gets a release date.

Chris Haley likes this.
  20. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Back in the 80's when all the "grey market" video trading was going on, ELP was always on the top of my list. I remember a trader that I dealt with in Japan telling me about 2 ELP programs that were aired in Japan in the 70's: One was Tokyo 72' (which eventually surfaced many years later), and the other was a program called "Love Sounds" which contained footage from the '74 tour. I have yet to see that surface. Has anyone ever heard of it?

hi_watt likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So the third disc will be surround-only, like the old DVD-Audio disc?

22. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Does anyone have a 2-disc compilation with a Statue on the cover and a background of what looks like the inside of a cave or a rock formation?

I bought it in the early 1990's. Seemed to sound good then, but have since lost it.

It was mastered before the loudness wars - I remember seeing "Return of the Manticore" in the late 1990's but holding off from buying it since I already had the 2 disc set.

And even though Greg Lake's voice noticeably declined, I enjoyed "Live at the Royal Albert Hall 1993" due to the spirited playing of Emerson and Palmer.

23. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The DVD-A contains the new 5.1 mix, the new 2.0 mix in hi-res and the original 2.0 mix in hi-res.

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Sorry...I didn't mean Steven Wilson; just came into my head on auto-pilot I think!

You're right, the new stereo and surround mixes are by Jakszyk.

Chris Haley likes this.
  25. Skip Reynolds

Could the Megabox 3rd disc "new stereo version" simply be a fold-down of the new 5.1 mix? I am SO confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.