Talk me out of purchasing another pair of vintage speakers...something new for under a grand?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Not vintage: But I just bought a set of these (Rega RS3).

bhazen likes this.
  2. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

As others have pointed out I'd pass on the Heresy's. I've owned all the Klipsch Heritage save for the Belles and eventually sold them all off. I'd still like to hear the Chorus/Forte II's with their tractrix horns. They're supposed to be the sweet spot of the Klipsch sound. The exponential horn used in all the Heritage models are extremely colored. They are however excellent for low level listening of jazz/classical. Klipsch himself was a classical music lover and IMO that's what these speakers are for mainly.

3. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'm no fan of the Heresy's, but Cornwall's are sweet! I had to sell mine because tehy were just too large for our living room (according to my wife), but powered by my Fisher 400 or Moth 45 amp they sure made nice music.

action pact and Ntotrar like this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I think the Belle is a beautiful if rather large loudspeaker.

5. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

How low does the bass go on those? I have a Rega Maia 3 amplifier and I assume they would be a good match but I'm not finding a lot of specifications on the frequency response.

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Rega dosent post specifications but I would guess the roll off gets steep somewhere in the mid high forties but produce usable bass even below that . I have them paired with a Rega Brio R and the sound is quite a bit just better than good. Last night listened to Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" and the bass was not wanting in any way. Same with Michael Murray "The young Bach", well balanced and quick. Petal tones reproduced cleanly with no chuff or mud. For the money a very nice compact floor stander that plays much bigger than they look.

NOS300B likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary model. $999 @ Music Direct; my next loudspeakers if I decide to go 'upmarket' from my Marimbas. Sort of the LS3/5a vibe, if you get my meaning.

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The Dentons are very attractive. I have heard and read nice things about the Marimbas, any comments? Do you use them with a sub?

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Very fun speakers; but unfortunately, in my setup and room, rather bright. No sub (against my religion).

A great value, though; and, I suspect, ripe for a crossover tweak of some sort. I don't tweak; so, they're probably placeholders 'til I find the next set of speakers; which, I suspect, may be Wharfedales (I like the way Peter Comeau "voices" his designs.)

Ntotrar likes this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have renounced subwoofers as well as far as my stereo systems are concerned (except in the TV surround system of course). At one time every system I owned was burdened with some form of sub.

In what way would you change the crossovers?

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

To tame the 10k spike that's currently driving me slightly mad. I don't know the technicals of that.

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Room treatment? As in more absorptive material?

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well, probably not; speakers that measure as reasonably 'flat' in the upper octaves sound fine (all else being equal) in my room. I already have carpeting, tapestries etc.

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Perhaps the Warfdales are in order then. Isn't this fun :)

bhazen likes this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Listening to Keith Thompson "HymnPovisations" and the bass is knocking me out! Quality as opposed to just quantity...

bhazen likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

RS3's rock!

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

:)

18. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I see references to the Tannoy Dual Concentrics and Tannoy's DC4. What are some other models that are really good?

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Tannoy concentric loudspeakers in general are very good. Auditions are recommended.

Mad shadows likes this.
  20. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I have heard a pair that Bill had set up in his shop but I don't remember the model.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

... and the Mercury series (? Not concentric drivers) are very good value; not sure if still made.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

At least you know who to ask!

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Could be... every market has its unique opportunities, I suppose.

24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

For every thread I read praising Tekton I read another about how flaky the owner guy is. My next speakers will be Zu Audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.