Prince (re)-signs with Warner Bros., new album coming in 2014, along with expanded catalogue*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been posted; exciting news!!

http://pitchfork.com/news/54836-pri...romises-new-music-under-new-warner-bros-deal/

Prince has announced a new partnership with Warner Bros. that gives him the rights to his master recordings and creates "an exclusive global licensing partnership that covers every album released from 1978 into the '90s," according to a press release.

Forthcoming projects are in the works, but first up is a digitally remastered deluxe edition of the classic Purple Rain, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this summer.

The press release promises "long-awaited, previously unheard music," but it is unclear what that means.

Prince will record a new album for Warner Bros., too. (It's rumored to be titled Plectrum Electrum.) His statement is pretty boilerplate, but spot the idiosyncratic detail: "A brand-new studio album is on the way and both Warner Bros. Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations and look forward to a fruitful working relationship."

Along with his current band 3rdEyeGirl, Prince has been slowly rolling out new songs, including a collaboration with Zooey Deschanel.

LoveandTheft likes this.
  3. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

A deluxe Purple Rain could be the greatest thing ever released ... as the original lp currently has that status (ok, IMO)... gotta admit the article gave me goosebumps. Sure a lot of the unreleased stuff has been kicking around but not always in great quality.

But... Electric Intercourse, Father's Song, Possessed..

'Wednesday' was one iirc.

Now... what was that song he erased as it was too emotional? Wally? Anyone find it? :)

Jayseph, Mij Retrac and RelayerNJ like this.
  4. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

FANTASTIC!

5. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Isn't Warners the label he was at war with at one time? Or at least...one of the labels?

Grant likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow didn't see that coming!!!!!!!

mdm08033 likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep. Peace in our time, who'da thunk it?

8. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Did hell freeze over?!? Heh.
    Indeed. You may remember this:

imgres.jpg

9. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

It's pretty awesome that Prince (finally) has/owns his WB masters...never thought this day would come. Ever.

Arif, DrAftershave, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  10. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Here' the full press release (from citypages, mpls):

Prince and Warner Bros. Records today announced a new agreement that will see the release of long-awaited, previously unheard material, while giving the artist ownership of the master recordings of his classic, global hits. At the same time, the deal extends Prince's relationship with Warner Bros. Records, through an exclusive global licensing partnership that covers every album released from 1978 into the nineties. The financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

For Prince fans worldwide, the new partnership will open a veritable gold mine. The surprise announcement comes just in time for this summer's 30th Anniversary celebrations of the artist's breakthrough album and film, Purple Rain, which were released in 1984. For the first time, Prince will be releasing a digitally re-mastered, deluxe version of this classic album. Other planned projects will follow.

Prince said, "A brand-new studio album is on the way and both Warner Bros Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations and look forward to a fruitful working relationship."

"Everyone at Warner Bros Records is delighted to be working with Prince once again: he is one of the world's biggest stars and a truly unique talent" said Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. Records. "We are also very excited about the release of new and re-mastered music from one of his greatest masterpieces."

Rob Hughes likes this.
  11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It wouldn't even be the greatest thing ever released by Prince.

Stallings, Grant, krock2009 and 5 others like this.
  12. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Well record companies have a high turnover rate. Chances are there isn't anybody currently at Warners that was there during the feudal years.

Great news...hope they don't crush the remasters.

Grant, Galley and Mij Retrac like this.
  13. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Terrific news. This could really open up the vaults. I can only imagine what great unreleased stuff might be coming our way if it all works out well. I expect 2CD editions of his best-selling albums at least, if not 3CD.

Thumbs up - as others said, this could be the start one of the greatest reissue campaigns in history (all IMO, of course). Here's hoping for great sound as well.

JimC and lpfreak1170 like this.
  14. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

If this proves anything, it's that this man might have at least a shred of sanity left in him. Amazing news.

I just hope he doesn't rerecord or censor anything. I'm holding high hopes that I'll hear Electric Intercourse with every dirty, suggestive, poetic infliction as it was recorded in 1983.

Grant, Jayseph, DrAftershave and 4 others like this.
  15. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I agree. There is some awesome unreleased stuff that he has that he may want to censor now and I really hope he doesn't but I'm not optimistic about that. I wonder if they do a big box set or just release the stuff as part of deluxe editions of his already released albums? Or maybe release the stuff as a bootleg series.

16. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Ugh. I hadn't thought about this, and having seen Prince live in the last decade, it unfortunately wouldn't surprise me (censorship, specifically of 'curse' words).

Mij Retrac likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oh HELL yes!!! I've been waiting for an expanded edition of Purple Rain for 30 years!! Seriously, this just made my day!! For what it's worth, TheSecondDisc.com proposed an expanded Purple Rain set that would be pretty sweet IMHO:

http://theseconddisc.com/2011/02/10/reissue-theory-purple-rain/

Of course, the absolute dream scenario for many Prince fans would be for him to copy the Miles Davis metal box reissue program for his studio albums and concurrent studio sessions but I'm sure that's just a pipe dream. In any case, fantastic news!!

(Now, if Prince/WB will only see fit to reissue Vanity 6's long OOP album at the same time...)

bleachershane and Mij Retrac like this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I hope this works better than Van Morrison's reissue deal with Universal.

Just a 12" collection would be awesome. But I dream of a series of DICK'S/DAVE'S PICKS-style live series.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Emperor5353, Dee Zee and goldwax like this.
  19. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I hope this is true but I'll believe it only when I am holding the Purple Rain reissue in my hands.

sugarbuzz likes this.
  20. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Prince expanded remasters could be amazing if handled by sensitive parties, but could also be a major let-down or non-event depending. There are so many b-sides, extended mixes/versions, side-projects, and unreleased songs/demos, this is going to be a tough project to pull off in a way the satisfies long-time hardcore Prince fans. Not to mention the mastering, packaging, and price variables. Purple Rain is one of the most important records of my personal history, so I will have high hopes and think positively. Regardless, good news that there is forward motion. I am cautiously hopeful that if the 3rd Eye Girl is a stripped down affair, like he shows, and not bogged down by overdubs and keyboards, it could be really great.

jpmosu, groovelocked and goldwax like this.
  21. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Why wouldn't it be true if Warner Bros made the announcement? I've rarely seen them announce a release and not have it come out. They signed a deal with Prince to do it also.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Outstanding news!

23. DownInAHole

I've just been waiting and hoping for something like this for so long, it didn't seem like it was ever going to happen. Also, Prince is rather famous for changing his mind.

24. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

Initial reaction - excitement.
    Realistic reaction - a very good chance it won't happen, songs might be edited/rerecorded, crappy remastering. And as a huge fan of Prince and of that album I doubt a deluxe edition could ever match my crazy fan expectations!

However... Prince continues to surprise, this could happen and be amazing! And who am I kidding? I'll buy whatever does come out anyways.

Emperor5353 and groovelocked like this.
  25. DownInAHole

I'm hoping for something similar to the recent Smashing Pumpkins reissues. A bonus disc, or discs, of music and a DVD of a live show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.