"You listen to that? But I thought you liked that other kind of music!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Have you ever told someone you like a certain artist or band, and then they act shocked as if you can only like one specific genre of music and aren't allowed to ever listen to anything but that one genre?

So annoying... :realmad:

2. velvetmornin

velvetmornin Well-Known Member

all the time, mostly because i dabble in rap/hip hop, and my rock friends just can't understand that.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, my friend looked at me in disgust because I had some rap/hip-hop in my car (Lonely Island). "You listen to this???" (He didn't even know or realize it was Lonely Island)

My uncle was pretty shocked when I introduced him to Neko Case. Apparently he didn't know I like that sort of music.

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My 25-most-played playlist on iTunes includes Van Halen, the Lennon Sisters, Charley Pride and Buddy Holly. In other words, yes, all the time. But people who know me well are never surprised at anything I like - they've seen how eclectic my collection is.

905 likes this.
  6. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Yes, I'm the "guy who likes Black Flag." I have a friend who still introduces me that way when the subject of music comes up. Never mind I enjoy all kinds of other non-punk stuff. :doh:

7. PaulKTF

Maybe he just can't remember your name! :)

A. Scrounger and Scopitone like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The other week I got together with an old college friend who got mad I was gonna see Billy Joel next month. I used to hate Billy Joel, and when this friend and some others went to see Joel in 1987, I gave them crap about it.

I asked if I was allowed to change my mind about at artist over the span of 27 years - he said no! :laugh:

9. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

The flipside: I once expressed that I was kinda "meh" on Bob Marley, and that later translated with one friend into "Oh, I forgot, you HATE reggae, don't you?" (No, I don't.)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

I have to ask- what made you change your mind about Billy Joel?

11. PaulKTF

I could easily understand a Reggae fan not liking Bob's more pop-oriented flavor of Reggae.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

"Kelly Clarkson?!!! I thought you were into rock music?"

Heard that line from some of my friends and fellow musicians back in 2005. I'd simply explain, she does rock.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

When I brought a Dilated Peoples (hip-hop) CD up to the counter to pay for it (this was back in 2001), the female clerk said, "Hmmm...I didn't figure you were the kind of guy that'd like that". Is every hip-hop fan supposed to be wearing over-sized sports jerseys and sideways ball caps?

Zeki and velvetmornin like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't really know. I've not done a total 180 on him - it's not like I hated him in the 80s and LOVE him now. I maintain lukewarm interest - I'm going to see him because it should be a special show (MSG on his birthday) and I'll be in town anyway.

Based on recent threads, you know I go to LOTS of concerts, so the fact that I've never paid to see Billy Joel even once should tell you how lukewarm my interest is! :)

Truthfully, I never really HATED him - I probably gave my friends crap more for sport than out of true animosity toward Joel! ;)

Why am I now willing to listen to him? That's the "dunno" part. I guess I've just mellowed a wee bit with age! :)

15. At the moment, I'm having to explain myself to quite a few people for listening to Clean Bandit's music since it's so far removed from what I normally listen to. Even after seven years together, my poor other half sometimes looks confused, scratching her head at large parts of my rather eclectic collection. For example, she really doesn't "get" my love for N*E*R*D* and Pharrell Williams in general (yet she likes Happy - go figure).

16. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Given my age and general look, I'm supposed to be listening to Classic rock up to early 1990's Alt rock, it seems. And I do of course. But yes I'll bring up an artist of the week for me -- perhaps Kaiser Chiefs or maybe I pulled out Glen Campbell from my archives and I'll get that "deer in the headlights" look like I joined the opposing team.

Weird because it's just music.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It happens a lot less post Nirvana...while I was equally comfortable listening to Black Sabbath and Culture Club, not many others were. Nirvana changed a lot of that as it brought a lot of alternative and metal people together. Suddenly it wasn't so odd to listen to everything.

905 likes this.
  18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

My kids cannot believe how much I have gotten in to Korn in the last few months. "You like THEM? I thought you listened to the Beatles!" by the way, they don't care for Korn at all which is a bit odd considering the hip-hop and dub-step influences. :shrug:

19. PaulKTF

Parents really should listen to their kids more often.

(Just kidding!). :)

Veech likes this.
  20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

:confused:

Are you thinking of Johnny Nash, or something?

21. PaulKTF

Okay, I shouldn't have used the word "pop". I meant to say his more commercial-sounding music that appealed to a wide-audience.

22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Still not getting you. His biggest seller in the US was Rastaman Vibration, i.e. appealing to the widest audience. Where's the pop on that one? With the possible exception of Survival, it's the most rasta of all of his albums. Also, it has his most radical and militant song: "War". Don't see your point about being pop-oriented at all.

23. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

There are times I wouldn't mind if he did! ;)

24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm heavily into Blues (all decades), English hard rock from the early 1970s, and alt country from the early 2000s. So when people find out I'm a big fan of Sinead O'Connor, they can't process it.

Zeki likes this.
  25. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I think this sort of thing is just how relationships work. We all tend to simplify our friends and acquaintances, who are usually more multifaceted and complicated than our own mental images of them. I suspect that some of that is that we need to simplify them just to keep our understanding of them together. And I also think that some of it is that your friends and acquaintances only present selected aspects of themselves to you--they aren't the same people with you as they are at work, or with their families, or with their other friends--and so a simplified version is what you get from the very start. But that does mean that people do get surprised when their friends or acquaintances break out of that simplified image.

Scopitone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.