Prince (re)-signs with Warner Bros., new album coming in 2014, along with expanded catalogue*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Emperor5353, Galley, ashlee5 and 5 others like this.
  2. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

How is the release of a new album by Prince an exciting news - he never actually stopped releasing new albums and none of the later ones qualifies as exciting (IMO, of course).

Grant, sound chaser and bru87tr like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The album being released by Warner Bros. might motivate him to make something that's more commercial than he's done in the recent past.

sunspot42 and bru87tr like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Hasn't there been a four-year gap since the last one? Longest in his career by far.

6. petertakov

Again, based on his later efforts, this is hardly due to him holding something back :)

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The last time a lot of people bought new music from Prince was in the early 90's. Maybe this will change that.

bru87tr likes this.
  8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

New album? No. Legit deluxe editions of Purple Rain and Sign O the Times? It'll make the Zep reissues look like nothing. Prince has more brilliance in his vault than almost any other artist --0nly Dylan has more.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Right, but that assumes we'll hear any of that on these Deluxe Editions. I'm not quite so optimistic.

10. petertakov

That is if he keeps his hair products and his clothes in his vault.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Depends on your definition of "hot seller". Won't sell millions - or hundreds of thousands - but will likely sell more than enough to be worth the (presumably minor) cost...

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Prince has already leaked tons of outtakes from that era. Doing them up right and getting paid for it is a no-brainer for him. It was never so much about the money than about control.

13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I met her in a hotel lobby,
    Meditating with a magazine.

;)

Kidding aside, this could be awsome or awful. We'll have to see. By now I have the CD, SHM-CD and hi-res downoad of "Purple Rain" and would be surprised if this new remaster would be anything else but louder, but who knows. What I would love to see is a release of some of the extended versions of some "Purple Rain" songs, like "The Beautiful Ones", "Computer Blue" and "Darling Nikki", but I'm not holding my breath.

ElvisCaprice, Grant, Dubmart and 3 others like this.
  14. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I agree that fancy re-issues these days don't really make a boatload of money for anyone anymore (I'm told that train left the station a couple years ago). But I would expect that, by the standards of present-day re-issues, a reissue campaign of Prince's classic catalogue might do pretty well with rock and indie audiences, if handled tastefully (the big if) and if marketed appropriately (this requires some institutional and capital commitment, so it also requires Prince and his label to play nicely together for the duration of the campaign).

In addition to this market, however, it may also be (I don't know the numbers here) that buyers of contemporary r&b and hip-hop might be interested in such reissues, which is a whole market generally untapped and underserved by the reissue mania that has prevailed in classic rock.

The McCartney Archive campaign, pokiness aside, has also reminded some of us that the bottom line on a given title is not the only measure of success: a well-received reissue campaign can also put the artist back in the consciousness and the good graces of an influential segment of the public (critics and collectors, for example), with a larger pay-off in tour interest, greater interest in new releases, appearances on Greatest Albums of... lists, and catalogue sales.

Anyway, I'm definitely in for Purple Rain (and others, should they appear), unless there's serious tampering with the originals (e.g. bowdlerization).

I'm not sure I dare hope for anything, though, knowing how twitchy Prince can be about his back catalogue and how he can be in his relations with his label. I'm still feeling burned about that aborted Van Morrison campaign some years ago. I'd hate to get my hopes up for a total overhaul of Prince's classic catalogue and have that happen again!

Here's the Second Disc's overview of the announcement.

15. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Hi, I just saw you say this over at prince.org. Cheers.

Grant likes this.
  16. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident

17. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

it will be awesome for a number of reasons: quality control for one.

Prince made it a habit of putting these bad Photoshop montages on his CDs. Prince has an enormous catalog of professional photos from his various eras. Etc etc

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So does this mean we could get a Deluxe Edition of the Batman soundtrack?

Stallings, analog74 and longaway like this.
  19. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Hopefully. I'd love to hear "Dance with the Devil" in better quality.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I do like many of the out takes and extended mixes from this but I wouldn't put it up there with the ones I'm most looking forward to.

Stallings likes this.
  21. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I am way too excited about this announcement. In addition to Purple Rain I would love to see a deluxe "Sign O The Times" that would pull together all of the original "Crystal Ball" set as it was originally intended. Let's hope this actually see the light of day.

22. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I am curious if these will be on Rhino as WB is the parent label. If so, I wouldn't mind a Complete Album Series box. Hopefully, not mastered by Inglot/Hersch.

23. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

HOLY BATDANCE!
    THE PRINCE SIGNAL IS SHINING OVER BURBANK!

Emperor5353 likes this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Inglot left WB a few years ago.

sunspot42 and Mij Retrac like this.
  25. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Wow. Now the next concern is that he releases the music as it was. If the expletives get bleeped, songs dropped or other unwelcome changes the whole deal becomes a lot less interesting. Remastered albums with cuts none of us are aware of pulled from The Vault just seems too good to be true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.