New live album from The Who?? Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

In most cases, sure, but he makes it sound almost planned and it's really exciting. That's one I'd leave in.

2. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Backing vocals were dubbed in to some of the songs back in 1970, i.e., on the original LAL. I would have thought these included Pete at times, e.g. for My Generation. No instrumental re-recording was done, though, just edits (snip-outs).

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Interesting, especially about Simon beefing up Pete's sound. I always suspected this.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 1970 backing vocal overdubs definitely seem to have included Pete. I wonder what mixes were made with the original vocals; the only one I'm aware of is Happy Jack on From Lifehouse To Leeds, where it is mono.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Honestly, I don't want to ruin it for people that plan on buying this release. Heck, I even have a pre-order in for the video.
    But the truth is that I had to force myself to watch the show I attended. I kept looking around to see if anyone else even noticed what I was witnessing. And I'll leave it at that....

PacificOceanBlue, Teflon and DrBeatle like this.
  6. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

The show was one of those all day stadium concert setups. I believe the other acts were the Steve Gibbons Band, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, and Little Feat.
    There was an amazing aerobatics demonstration overhead (some guy flying a stunt plane - and it was very entertaining), along with some other entertainment. I can't
    remember the exact stunt, but I could see Pete watching it from the backstage area. We were in there all day, and for whatever reason, the Who did not play an encore.
    Maybe that's why shokhead is so upset that he blew 10 bucks on all this.

Quadboy likes this.
  7. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I saw the show and enjoyed it but then Quadrophenia has never been a personal favourite so my interest only goes so far. In the suite of non-Quad songs, did Simon appear in those, or every one? Maybe Pete carried part of the show himself in other words. Also, on Jools Holland's show about 3 years ago the band did The Seeker and I think Simon wasn't in the band. Of course, that's one song and presumably Pete can take the volume for a relatively short time. I believe too Simon didn't play at Superbowl.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The show I aw was the second of the tour in Orlando. Rogers voice was strong, but I have to admit that Pete's guitar wasn't turned up very loud. I attributed it to him not wanting to lose the hearing he has left, so he kept his guitar low in the mix. I saw Simon, but not being a guitarist, didn't notice nor think he was playing note for note what Pete was playing.

Again, the show I saw was pretty strong, and Quadrophenia has always been a special album for me, so I couldn't have been happier watching the show. Would I would rather have had Moonie and The Ox? Of course, but "you can't always get you want."

marc with a c and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That sounds like a fun day to me. The Who, Little Feat, Rufus and Steve Gibbons...a diverse yet cool list.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm not sure what your asking me about given that you attended one of the shows yourself.

The most offensive part of the show was the encore( after Quadrophenia)

Every single power chord struck by Pete was doubled by Simon. Who Are You was particularly disturbing.

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The Who were very well known, at least in the Moon era, for almost never playing encores. Hundreds of bootlegs from those years show they very rarely came back to do encores, so that was not out of the ordinary for them...it WAS the ordinary!

The Big Guy, WhoTapes1 and Quadboy like this.
  12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm not sure why people say Pete played quietly to protect his hearing. In these days of PA systems, all Pete needs to hear is a little practice amp volume, while the sound is directed out and away from him by huge PA speakers pointed at the crowd.

If Simon doubled his parts, it's because aren't a lot of Who songs, if not all, written for one guitar only? Also, how did I accidently get all italics?

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

:laugh: :laughup: (You hit control -I instead of shift-I)

I was up in the front, and his guitar just wasn't very high in the mix. The reason I thought about the hearing part was that I had read that he had lost a good part of his hearing from earlier days and when he did a solo tour, maybe somewhere in the 80's, he talked about hearing loss on stage.

dead of night likes this.
  14. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Okay you've answered it, I couldn't recall if Simon was on stage for each "encore" number, but sounds like he was. I was saying as well some songs in recent years have omitted Simon, but I'd guess because they only did one or a few songs.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The hearing loss is definitely an issue. However, I'm quite certain both Pete and Roger were wearing a new in ear monitoring system, which was first prototyped during Roger's previous solo tour.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

In Ear Monitors

"Fortunately, we found a way to deal with it. I started to wear the in-ear monitors, which cuts the stage volume way down. Everybody can work their own sounds perfect for them, instead of it being a war between the guitarist being too loud or the bassist being too loud. Drummers are always too loud. You could suddenly create your own world where you were always comfortable and you could always hear your own work as you were doing it. That made a huge difference to me as a singer. And it saved The Who. Well, it kept Pete and I together for the Quadrophenia tour. He could never have done it otherwise. None of us could. "

17. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

They were probably busy enjoying the show...

...or, at times, wondering why some dude was spending his time looking at them to see if they were "noticing" instead of either either just enjoying the show or leaving.

rburly and GubGub like this.
  18. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

19. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Interesting because for years Pete said he wouldn't use those, that they made the tinnitus worse. Roger doesn't state in so many words that Pete changed his mind, although it is implied I guess.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

As far as I know, Pete is currently using in ear monitors. He's even given the company an endorsement.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=0CEwQFjAP&url=http://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/what-we-do/lifestyle-protection/&rct=j&q=pete townshend in ear monitors&ei=2pdRU4CkKMLjsAT_3ILgDw&usg=AFQjCNEsPLcjwTL--AwZX-7f__WWVUDiDQ&sig2=uI9-8JcK27FcuQa-EBWk3g&bvm=bv.65058239,d.cWc

Home > Testimonials > Pete Townshend
    Pete Townshend

[​IMG]I am very pleasantly surprised after my trip to Musicians Hearing Services. I have just fitted the monitors that they provided and listened to some music.

With respect to frequency range I seem to be able to hear a lot of high frequency sounds in my right ear, much more than I expected. Brass is brassy, strings are stringy, and I can hear hi-hats in drum kits. These in-ear monitors are fabulous, just as they predicted.

Pete Townshend
    The Who

dee and DrBeatle like this.
  21. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Thanks Reb that's interesting. If you look at close-up photos though from the 2013 tour, Pete is not wearing what Roger is. Maybe he is wearing something different, but not what Roger is.

By the way Pete's comment that he can hear the hi-hat is an index of how much high end he has lost..

22. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Sorry used the wrong word..would not have gone last year except to take my 16 year old son (who never saw them and wanted to go).

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I didn't notice him with them in Vegas last year. BTW, without a word he left the stage for 5 minutes or so. Didn't say a word to the others, just walked. Can't remember what they said when he came back. Way to many drunk 50/60 somethings trying to act 20 something.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The monitors are custom molded to fit in Pete's ear canal. Therefore, it's unlikely that anyone would notice their presence.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Same here, attended the show with my two children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.