Which Hendrix vinyl reissues are from an analog source?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Berkley and Miami are all analog. The recent mono LPs are also all analog.

2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Be aware that there are two different Berkley masterings. There is a Bernie Grundman one that claims to be fully analog (and it sounds amazing) and a different one that I haven´t heared yet

3. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Which one is the different one?

4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

The
    I guess the only way to know is to look for the BG analog mastered sticker on the sleeve

5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

incorrect

6. Gordon Johnson

incorrect

7. tubesandvinyl

Which part?

8. Gordon Johnson

about the only people who can answer the OP are the good folk at EH, well answer the OP fully and correctly. The rest of us can only make educated guess's.

9. Gordon Johnson

which post?

10. tubesandvinyl

Berkley and Miami are all analog. The recent mono LPs are also all analog.

11. Gordon Johnson

read the Berkeley thread on this site, noting the last page or two. It does NOT state ALL ANALOG on the cover sticker. Album still sounds amazing to my ears tho'.

Miami, sticker does NOT say ALL ANALOG, Jimpress 103 due out any day has detail on this and I don't want to spoil it for you guys :)

12. Gordon Johnson

the recent mono LP's? Hmmm, maybe but i have a nagging doubt regard the AYE UK pressing. That doubt started with a lack of sticker detail for that issue. still not concluded in my own mind about this pressing.

13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

What's the story on the Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland 180 gram 2 LP from the 2010 Legacy? Is it analog? The link (above) indicates it is, but I think that's what we're discussing here, the veracity of these marketing statements. Moreover, is it excellent? Thanks.

14. Gordon Johnson

referencing the OP. Just to point out, Miami is not a re issue.

15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Answering my own query. Nevermind. I dug a little deeper, used the search engine a little different, and am satisfied with my knowledge of the 2010 Legacy Electric Ladyland. Carry on.

16. Gordon Johnson

Jimpress #103 arrived today.

Though the Miami vinyl piece has been edited down it still contains the information regard digital / analog.

17. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I've heard the 2014 Sony Live at Monterey and it sounds stunning. The sticker on the shrink wrap claimed it had "all analog mastering," so I don't know if it's 100% or not. Either way, it sounds lovely.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

i guess you'll be interested in the review of this and the DIFFERENT Monterey EU pressing then :)
    see the next Jimpress issue in a few weeks.

yes indeed it does SOUND very good.

19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I recently purchased a new copy of Axis: Bold As Love - EH Sony Legacy 2010, with a sticker on the shrink-wrap proclaiming 'remastered from the original analog tapes' (or something to that precise effect). Is it safe to assume, for the sake of listening, that this is a purely analog remaster? I don't have a 1st pressing to compare it to, but this version sounds really good, IMO. Honestly, I've been fooled before (Pet Sounds - bought thinking it was all-analog, sounds great, but I was informed it was a digital master; Ten (Pearl Jam) - bought unsure of its origin, it sounds better than CD but lacks the analog magic - it is, in fact, a digital master); so...your ears are a good guide, if no other info is available. But getting precise info can be tough sometimes.

20. I'm no expert here but I have AYE US stereo and mono and UK Mono, Axis (stereo and mono) and Electric Ladyland. They are all Legacy reissues from 2010 and 2013 (?) though the two mono's were pressed in EU by Music On Vinyl. According to the blurb attached to all of them they are ALL analogue reissues. Put it another way, they certainly all sound very analogue to me. They are so far removed from the SQ of the CD's as to appear to be different albums altogether. The 2010's were all Sterling cuts. I also have First Rays, South Saturn Delta, People Hell & Angels and Valleys Of Neptune, WCSB box set. As far as I know these latter reissues are digitally remastered using original "analogue sources".

21. I forgot Rainbow Bridge and Cry Of Love! Both of these from 2014 cut by Bernie Grundman are allegedly all analogue cuts.

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Sony Live at Monterey 88843042031-1 (RSD 2014 if memory serves me right) is authorised by the Hendrix family, is 180g, and has a sticking saying that it is all analogue mastering by Bernie Grundman. The colour insert says the same, adding that it was done at BG Mastering, Hollywood. Made by QRP.

The 2014 US psychedelia yellow-cover Are You Experienced, Stereo, 2014, Hendrix family authorised 180g Legacy 88843-05985-1-5 says it is all analogue mastering from the original two track master tapes, again by BG. Made by QRP.

The Legacy stereo equivalent for Axis Bold As Love 2010 (I think) 88697 62396-1-9 says that it is an all analogue remaster from the original two track master tapes, but done by Jimi's original engineer. It has a QRP plastic inner sleeve.

The 2010 Legacy stereo equivalent (of Axis) for Electric Ladyland 88697 62398-1-7 has exactly the same details for mastering as Axis (see above). Again, QRP inner sleeves.

Both Axis and Ladyland have 8 page full size colour booklets. Family approved etc.

All these details are taken from my copies of the albums (Discogs may say more). I vaguely recall that some or all of the albums are advertised as 200g on the web, rather than the 180 g on the stickers. I think they are actually 200g or close to, if that's important to you. I think (but can't swear) that all my copies are US rather than EU versions, imported into the UK. I guess they must be if they are QRP.

The long numbers above are the bar codes (though some refs may omit the first and last numbers).

Importantly, IMO the albums are really nice pressings, flat, clean, heavy, and have good/great sound, particularly the three studio ones. I like the stereo versions, though that is just a personal preference. I think the separation suits the psychedelic style of the music. I have no problem with anyone preferring the monos - it's a nice choice to have to make.

Hope this helps the OP and other contributors.

[Note - these aren't the more recent ? 2015 Music on Vinyl versions].

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  23. Weren't the Sterling cuts pressed at RTI? QRP normally uses light conventional poly-liners with black writing /arrows on them, not heavy gauge polythene sleeves. The 2010 issues I have all have the psychedelic record labels and come in heavy duty polythene liners and very heavy stock card outer sleeves. Personally I prefer soft poly-lined sleeves; I'm always fearful that the thick gauge polythene sleeves will scratch the record.

24. Gordon Johnson

The re issues from 2014 onwards are QRP while Legacy pre 2014 are RTI.

black sheriff, Dino and SteveM like this.
  25. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the recent (October 2015) Legacy pressings are the same as the other reissues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.