The Free album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, how? :)
    (Very observant. I had to go back and look).

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I like a lot of Free's music but I do not love them like most on this thread do (I outlined the reasons why). Nevertheless, I'm going to follow along with the thread and I'll add commentary where I see fit. I'll try to keep things positive, as I have lately found myself to be a bit of "Negative Nelly" :oops:, and I don't want to be a buzzkill for what is sure to be an awesome thread! :)

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Bad Company covered that one as well as I suppose most people know.

I read a review of the Chronicles 2 cd set on Amazon and someone was complaining that Easy On My Soul was included. Go figure.o_O

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    GodShifter likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I had a different disc 2 that I either lost, gave to a friend etc..., and I think that one had the live version of Crossroads on it.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's like I have said numerous times, if they let the forum members be in charge of the vault releases the world would be a much better place. :agree:

arthurprecarious likes this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

His 3 favorite bands perhaps?

Zeki and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I had no idea BC ever covered it but I can see why! It's so great. I would be suspicious of anyone that doesn't love that song! But I digress ... we shall get to it and that album in due course. :)

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

I am in the middle of re-arranging all of my CDs. It was the only space big enough that I could find to have the shot stand out. :D

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's a losing battle Frank. I gave it up a while ago.:uhhuh:

Rose River Bear and 905 like this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

Those four guys made some of the most beautiful music in my collection. I listened to the first two albums earlier and listened to Kossoff's guitar sing.

old school and John Fell like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Easy On My Soul was the non-lp b-side of the Movin' On single recording at the Bad Company album sessions. The version is longer and more uptempo, if I remember correctly.

It can be found on the Original Bad Co. Anthology, a 2 cd set which contains all of their non-lp sides and a few new recorded tracks with the original line up along with the cream from their albums with the original line up.

I found it on Youtube and posted it for you GodShifter.

GodShifter and Rose River Bear like this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

In all reality Free never had the success they deserved when they were together. But gained success in the age of the compact disc era. It's strange but the band had the second look and now are highly regarded all these years later.

misterdecibel and John Fell like this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Ain't that the truth. I keep trying though. Having moved three times in the past 5 years does not help. o_O

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Even though they may not have been highly regarded by the public until the compact disc era, they were influential to other bands.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yikes!

Rose River Bear likes this.
  17. It's my second favorite and criminally underrated IMHO. I've always felt that Koss was a good guitar player but not great but he was the heart of the band.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool, an album thread on Free! Only up for 2 days and already it's up to on page 13? (sigh)....skimming through now....

My 2 cents, I like Free, have every album, but I actually like Free's offspring Bad Company more (better songs IMO).

I like Koss' guitar playing but don't consider him to be any kind of great guitar giant like some in this thread seem to. Some of my guitar playing friends disrespectfully call him "one note Kossoff". I wouldn't go that far, I have no dis for him, but can't blow his trumpet either. I actually think that Fraser was the best player in Free and his bass playing adds so much to their songs. Ironically my favorite Free album is the one that doesn't even have Fraser (or Kossoff) on it (Heartbreaker).

Looking forward to reading more comments here. Still hoping the new boxset comes out someday, but would be more interested if they changed their minds and did not include all of the original albums in it (which I've bought at least 3 times so far - LP, original CDs, CD remasters, plus compilations/boxset already).

alexpop likes this.
  19. old school

old school Senior Member

One of the most respected bands among there peers. You have that right John.

All Down The Line and John Fell like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Faces were big fans and covered the Stealer in concert.

Maybe we should start a Faces thread. They need to release the remasters of the original albums with bonus tracks that are held up and the complete BBC sessions.

old school and 905 like this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

I know what you mean. Andy's my favorite bassist, and often I choose Heartbreaker as my favorite Free album.

22. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Good to know there Faces bonus tracks despite the box..would get them fast...​

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ian McLagan said they are finished but are held up by Rhino for some reason. They contain both unissued studio tracks, alternates and more live BBC tracks. They also have the rest of the Fillmore concert that was used for part of the Long Player lp in the vaults. 3 unissued tracks from the show were added to the import 2 cd Stay With Me Anthology.
    Gasoline Alley, Love In Vain and Too Much Woman ( For A Henpecked Man) were the tracks included.

FYI the Stay With Me 2 cd anthology is the best sample of Faces tracks other than the 5 Guys box set but it contains some tracks not on the 5 Guys box set.

They were announced for late 2008:

'First Step - Remastered & Expanded' (Warner Arch./Rhino 8122799808). With four previously unreleased bonus-tracks:
    - Behind The Sun ( ) -Outtake (5:34)
    - The Mona ( ) -Outtake (6:07)
    - Shake, Shudder, Shiver (RW/Ronnie Lane) -BBC John Peel Session (2:54)
    - Flying (Ron Wood/Ronnie Lane/Rod Stewart) -Alternate Take 3 (4:49)

'Long Player - Remastered & Expanded' (Warner Arch./Rhino 8122799807). With four previously unreleased bonus-tracks:
    - Whole Lotta Lovin' ( ) -Outtake (4:29)
    - Tell Everyone (Ronnie Lane) -Alternate Take 1 (4:23)
    - Sham-Mozzal ( ) Instrumental Outtake (3:38)
    - Gasoline Alley (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart) -Live at Fillmore East 10.11.70 ? (2:42)

'A Nod's As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse - Remastered & Expanded' (Warner Arch./Rhino 8122799806). With four previously unreleased bonus-tracks:
    - Miss Judy's Farm (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart) -BBC John Peel Session (3:38)
    - Stay With Me (RW/Rod Stewart) -BBC John Peel Session (5:29)
    - It's All Over Now (Bobby and Shirley Womack) -BBC John Peel Session (5:30)
    - True Blue (Never Been A Millionaire) (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart) -Live in Pocono, Pennsylvania 8.07.72 ? (4:15)

'Ooh La La - Remastered & Expanded' (Warner Arch./Rhino 8122799805). With four previously unreleased bonus-tracks:
    - Cindy Incidentally (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart/Ian McLagan) -BBC Session (2:35)
    - Borstal Boys (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart/Ian McLagan) -Rehearsal (2:50)
    - Silicone Grown (Ron Wood/Rod Stewart) -Rehearsal (3:09)
    - Jealous Guy (John Lennon) -Live at Reading Festival 25.08.73 (6:01)

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Re: Heartbreaker. I know Fraser is gone then, replaced by Tetsu. But Koss? Isn't he still on that?

25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Great news....The original cd's sound good to me but the box a bit better.....maybe the live coast to coast will see the light of day as well...used to have the vinyl...got some tracks on the Rod Anthology if I recall...More BBC would be nice, I am sucker for all of them....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.