The Free album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for contributing. As we move through the thread, I will point out why I think Koss was one of the best ever. His solos were outstanding, but he contributed so much more IMO. It should be a lot of fun. :)

old school likes this.
  2. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Wow !

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Maybe Wishing Well? Good question.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wouldn't count on seeing these soon as they have supposedly been finished since 2008.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yea but maybe with the pretty strong sales of the Pie's Fillmore box and the SMALLFaces reissues Rhino will go for it....I hope so...I am not getting younger.......

6. old school

old school Senior Member

Here's Kossoff doing Crossroads!

The guitar is not in the back that I can tell, up front and smoking.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  7. Rose River Bear

I agree. However I gave up saving my nickels for that stuff to be released a long time ago. :D

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Snuffy Walden appears on these tracks.

Common Mortal Man", "Easy on My Soul" and "Seven Angels" I believe Kossoff and Walden are on Seven Angels.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Looks like he has writing credits for Wishing Well and Travellin' in Style. Hmm, I think we've kinda jumped all the way to the end. Sorry, RRB!

905 likes this.
  10. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes indeed....Time to move on....

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually wrote emails to Rhino asking about these a could not get any information. Their albums should be in print domestically. I had to buy some from Japan just to have copies at one point.

Rose River Bear and jerrygene like this.
  12. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Thanks for trying John.....would make a nice box set ....completed works thing ....

John Fell likes this.
  13. Rose River Bear

I have always loved his solos on that. His solos have a human singing quality to them. Eric's solos are great but a little too flashy for my tastes all the time.
    That was the beauty of Koss's solos to me. They all had a human singing quality to them. His guitar playing was a voice.....not a guitar. It is why I like Rachmaninoff and not Brahms. Call me sentimental and a romantic.:D

jerrygene, old school and John Fell like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is another case in point of why forum members should be in charge of vault releases and not record company executives.

Another is example: Why have they not released the Isle Of Wight sets by Free and The Doors. The Free set is on dvd but not cd and if I remember correctly only 3 of the songs have video.

Maybe they will include it on the Free From The Shadows box set if it is ever released.

15. old school

old school Senior Member

I agree 100% when you can make a guitar sing it is on another level and that is a good example but the tone and the vibrato in Crossroads is sublime to me.

jerrygene and John Fell like this.
  16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Yeah. Picture THAT :laugh:

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Koss is on Heartbreaker but I'm not sure how much. I think he is credited as being on about half of the record (?). I think that Snuffy Walden is on the rest and added a bunch of guitar parts even to the songs that had Koss on them. How much Koss is really on and what he did I'm not sure (he was battling health/addiction issues). Maybe we can talk more about this once the thread reaches that album, I'd like to learn more about it.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Stuff like this tends to piss me off because the forum members and real fans will buy these releases and really appreciate them. :realmad:

Rose River Bear and old school like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Snuffy Walden appears on these tracks.

Common Mortal Man", "Easy on My Soul" and "Seven Angels" I believe Kossoff and Walden are on Seven Angels.

There are also alternate takes with different combinations.

20. Rose River Bear

That is it exactly. Ya know, I listen to Eddie Van Halen and love him and how it rocks and how amazing his technique is and how great his songs are. I even like Yngwie Malmsteen. But, when I want to hear a solo that sounds like it is real and human and something I can sing along to I listen to guys like Koss and John Fogerty and Mick Taylor to name a few.

jerrygene, John Fell and old school like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Off topic for another moment but a funny story about Tetsu.

He showed up for his first rehearsal with the Faces with a bottle of Teacher's Whiskey. The boys in the Faces assumed it was a present for them since their drinking was legendary and Tetsu proceeded to drink the whole bottle himself. He fit right in.:D

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Amen brother. The space between the notes is just as important as the number of notes. :righton:

I would much rather hear slow and with feeling than fast without. This is really apparent with a slow blues number. The notes may be the same but it is the feeling and soulfulness that make a particular version stand out.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  23. old school

old school Senior Member

What I think Koss is a master at is holding his notes an not rushing or trying to be flashy maybe he is misunderstood. I don't like to keep repeating myself but his vibrato technique is his genius.

Rose River Bear and John Fell like this.
  24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes...Was listening to early Free in the morning and the use of space was very impressive....the weaving in and out.
    The real action as said earlier by John is often between the lines..

25. Rose River Bear

I agree. His bending technique the way he would bend up in tiers was amazing also. I will get more into that geeky guitar stuff as we move thru the albums. :D

John Fell, old school and jerrygene like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.