Suzanne Vega...Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yam Graham, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yam Graham

Yam Graham 2023 Thread Starter

Video for Solitude Standing, 1987.

bluemooze and 1970 like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Why would you buy a reissue on a spotty label? The originals are common, on good vinyl, and sound terrific.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Don't forget about this, the Spanish version of Luka:

bluemooze, Yam Graham and 1970 like this.
  4. Yam Graham

Acoustic version of Luka and Interview, 1987.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident

What happend to Luka?
    This is such a shocking song when you listen to the lyrics. Domestic violence towards women is hard to take in and cope with, but understanding that Luka is about not only a child being the victim here, but there are two offenders against this child... The melody is so beautiful, the tune is catchy, and the message is so sad...

So what happend to him, both the song's Luka, and the real one, that actually lived upstairs from Suzanne?
    I was happy to find this: (about Luka starts at 2:10)

bluemooze and Yam Graham like this.
  6. Yam Graham

7. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident

I often thank my lucky star for finding Suzanne Vega when I did. I was 16-17, and just as confused as only such a young girl can be when wondering where to find her place in life. What to mean, what to think and basically who to be… Looking back in retrospective, I’m shocked to see how much I have actually formed my life, instead of just go with the flow and see where I would end up. Suzanne’s two first albums are very responsible for this… :agree:

SV’s lyrics opened up a whole world of opportunities. I found epic descriptions of feelings that I had, and statements that I wanted to become mine. I found moods that equaled with the ones I could recognize. Small Blue Thing spoke to me in a language I could perfectly understand. It gave me “permission” to feel small from time to time, now knowing that this feeling was not unique to me. Some Journey awakened the idea of “travelling” in a relationship, play and investigate, and suddenly relationships were shone on with a different lamp. That has been a major turn for me, to realize that you don’t have to settle, but you can try to achieve the relationship’s potential… And keeping the magic of it! “We talk and talk, we tell the truth, there are no shadows here” became for me a warning not to kill the magic by talk. And talk about everything. I can hardly believe I was only 16 when I started to realize this. Undertow taught me something about how strong forces can be, whether it is addiction, love or disease. And Straight Lines, independence, independence, independence! Crucial to learn at such a young age, especially when you are a girl. Suzanne’s first album influenced me in the way I got to act towards the world.

Solitude Standing taught me little about feelings going the other way. The sudden love and sympathy I felt towards an abused child has stayed with me since Luka, and that was 12 years before I became a parent myself. Iron Bound /Fancy Poultry says something about what you give up as a parent for the sake of your child’s wellbeing. Calypso is also about putting your own needs and longings on hold for the love you feel for another. I had never heard of Calypso and Odysseus at 18, but I had a cousin with a serious drug-addiction. I remember hoping that she would one day find a Calypso to take care of her until she was strong enough to know “the waves’ ways”, and free herself from her personal hell. Gypsy must one of the fines lovesongs ever written! The melody is so beautiful it still brings tears to my eyes. I never tire of this song. In my life there has been some ”Gyspsies”, and these brief lovestories are now among my finest memories. The love that you from the beginning knew could, for some reasons, never last, but you still lived it for that brief time. This love never tasted the grey of everyday life, tristesse and bitter quarrels, but will forever live in your mind as fire and passion… This is the love that you never get over, and the memories will till the end of time bring a smile to your face. I love this song! In The Eye made me strong. I started to use my gaze when it was needed, influenced by this song, and being equipped with a strong gaze is not at all wrong when being a young woman. Or a woman.

Today I wouldn’t take life-lessons from an album, but as a teenager I was stupid enough to think that one could. I’m so glad I did. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  9. Yam Graham

Wonderful thoughts...

10. Yam Graham

[​IMG]
    Days Of Open Hand

Released 10th April 1990

1. "Tired of Sleeping" – 4:22
    2. "Men in a War" – 4:47
    3. "Rusted Pipe" (Vega, Anton Sanko) – 4:16
    4. "Book of Dreams" (Vega, A. Sanko) – 3:22
    5. "Institution Green" (Vega, A. Sanko) – 6:15
    6. "Those Whole Girls (Run in Grace)" – 3:09
    7. "Room off the Street" (Vega, A. Sanko) – 3:00
    8. "Big Space" (Vega, A. Sanko) – 3:46
    9. "Predictions" – 4:59
    10. "Fifty-Fifty Chance"– 2:36
    11. "Pilgrimage" (Vega, A. Sanko) – 5:10

11. Yam Graham

A may be unable to post much coming up.....but I will endeavour to keep things rolling best I can.
    Personal stuff has derailed me.......
    By all means keep the posts coming, Suzanne's music means so much to me, and at the moment it is a crutch for me to fall on.
    I will try to update as promised.

12. Probably Suzanne Vega's most underrated album. I really like what producer Anton Sanko did to the album. As a collection of songs this is a step back from the well known first 2 albums, but the arrangements and production really take the songs to another level. The mix also makes clear that the 80s are over, giving the album a warmer and much more pleasant feel. The songs rarely appear on compilations and Suzanne doesn't play the songs live a lot, but for me the album's up there with her very best.

Tired Of Sleeping (9/10): Beautiful ballad with a great melody, I love the lyrics
    Men In A War (8/10): I really like the drums and guitars on this one, they add a lot of power to a song that's a bit monotonous otherwise
    Rusted Pipe (9/10): Beautiful marimba, lovely chorus melody and some nice harmonies from Suzanne and Shawn Colvin towards the end
    Book Of Dreams (7/10): The album's obvious single, nice song but it lacks the catchy hooks of her previous hits
    Institution Green (10/10): My favourite song on the album. Great hypnotic melody and Anton Sanko creates a wonderful mood with his keyboards and string arrangement
    Those Whole Girls (5/10): Bit of a let down after a stunning first side, what works so well on "Institution Green" and "Predictions" does not work here
    Room Off The Street (9/10): I love how the acoustic guitar and hand claps provide the rhythm on this one. Great melody as well
    Big Space (8/10): The dated synths sound horribly out of place on an album full of acoustic guitars, Hammond organ and marimba. The melody and lyrics are Suzanne at her best though.
    Predictions (9/10): Another beautiful hypnotic melody and once again Anton Sanko's production creates a wonderful mood
    Fifty-Fifty Chance (7/10): Mostly Philip Glass' song, without his strings this would be a pretty boring song.
    Pilgrimage (8/10): Took a while to grow on me, but now I really like it. The keyboard loop reminds me of Peter Gabriel's "San Jacinto".

JeffMo and 1970 like this.
  13. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Alternate holographic album cover (US promo CD).

Thesmellofvinyl and Nikoline like this.
  14. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

15. Yam Graham

Days Of Open Hand (1990)

I think Suzanne has named this her least liked album. She never liked how it turned out.
    I would agree with what was said about how wonderful sounding this album is. A album to prove just how badly modern CD's are mastered
    For me, the album is a little hit and miss.
    When it's good it is sublime, but there are songs for the first time that just pass me by.

Tired Of Sleeping
    Interesting as the lyric is the moudling almost dreary melody have never captured my interest.
    6/10

Men In A War
    Thought provoking lyrics that jolt the listener and much more like it for me.
    9/10

Rusted Pipe
    One of my 2 fav songs on the album. The play on words is just wonderful. Beautifully crafted song, with vocals that are wonderful.
    10/10

Book Of Dreams
    A very good song but pales slightly....nice background vocals.
    8/10

Institution Green
    I struggled with this for years before it revealed itself. Creates a great atmosphere.
    9/10

Those Whole Girls (Run In Grace)
    Simple and to the point....again a grower for me...took me years to fully get this.
    9/10

Room Of The Street
    Along with Rusted Pipe, this is so good it's jawdropping in it's arrangement and pacing.
    Evocative lyrics and you can just place yourself in the scenes painted here.
    A wonderful song.
    10/10

Big Space
    Again, welcome to the party late. Another grower for me. Brilliant song.
    9/10

Predictions
    This again never stood out for me, but like many songs here, suddenly like a fine wine (Red !!) it gets better with age.
    8/10

Fifty Fifty Chance.
    Strangely, I am the other way with this. The string arrangement coupled with the morose tale jump out on you at first listen, and at first you think it's one of the better songs.
    I favour it less these days......I don't know why.
    7/10

Pilgrimage
    Typical of the album, this song has a spacy unclutted feel to it. Not a favourite but Iwould never skip it.
    7/10

I think over the years this album has gained more kudos. It's just that what comes after it and before are just so good this feels slightly less.
    If that makes sense at all.
    Underrated certainly but not one of her 'great' albums....perhaps.

8/10

1970 likes this.
  16. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

http://silvermichaels.weebly.com/2/post/2014/01/flashback-suzanne-vega-september-1990.html

http://www.brianrose.com/music/language.htm

http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Article.aspx?id=6417

http://archive.today/xn1hn#selection-709.0-713.412

17. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

18. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

CybrKhatru likes this.
  19. Yam Graham

Louis
    Great stuff as usual.

Hopefully I can keep things going...
    But the world has collapsed around me at the moment.

20. Gotta love those late 80's hair styles (SV looks great though)

21. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident

I hope it is things you can work out...

OneStepBeyond and 1970 like this.
  22. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Hang in there! It will get better. And no timetable here... we'll move on when you're ready.

Nikoline likes this.
  23. Yam Graham

[​IMG]

'99.9F'

Released September 8, 1992
    Recorded 1992 at Dreamland (Bearsville, NY), Sunset Sound Factory (LA) and The Magic Shop (NYC)
    Genre Rock
    Length 37:20
    Label A&M
    Producer Mitchell Froom

1. "Rock in This Pocket (Song of David)" 3:20
    2. "Blood Makes Noise" 2:28
    3. "In Liverpool" 4:40
    4. "99.9F°" 3:16
    5. "Blood Sings" 3:17
    6. "Fat Man and Dancing Girl" (Vega, Mitchell Froom) 2:19
    7. "(If You Were) In My Movie" 3:05
    8. "As a Child" 2:55
    9. "Bad Wisdom" 3:23
    10. "When Heroes Go Down" 1:54
    11. "As Girls Go" 3:27
    12. "Song of Sand" 3:28
    13. "Private Goes Public" (European and Japanese bonus track) 1:57
    Personnel[edit]
    Suzanne Vega – vocals, acoustic guitar
    Jerry Marotta – drums, percussion
    Bruce Thomas – bass
    David Hidalgo – electric guitar on 1 2 3 4 7 8 11
    Mitchell Froom – keyboards, string arrangement on 12

99.9F° (Ninety-Nine Point Nine Fahrenheit Degrees) is the fourth album by the American singer/songwriter Suzanne Vega. Released in 1992, the album marked a significant departure for Vega, as she embraced a more electronic-influenced, experimental sound. It peaked at #86 on Billboard Magazine album charts, as well as two songs to their Modern Rock charts, including "Blood Makes Noise," written with Kevin 'Doc' Sullivan of Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails, which reached #1. The album was also Vega's fourth Top 20 album in the UK. Despite its low chart position in the US, the album was certified gold by RIAA in October 1997, which marks 500,000 copies sold. It also reached silver status in the UK by the BPI in March 1993. The LP remains out of print in US.

It was the first of two of Vega's albums to be produced by Mitchell Froom, whom she later married.

24. Yam Graham

Sorry for the dalay....
    I will post thoughts 2moro all being well.....but I will say this is a all time fav album for me....just love it.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It certainly isn't as drastic as I thought it would be. For me, I just happen to think that some of the 'metal' songs are weaker efforts, lyrically and musically. Blood Makes Noise is the best of them. The rest of the lp is very good, I'd rate it better than Open Hand by a hair. In Liverpool is a fantastic song and will always be in my top 10 favorite SV songs. I think As Girls Go and If You Were in my Movie are also good tracks, and Public Goes Private should not be overlooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.