Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

Nope. Not in the least.

2. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Ive recently purchased a UK reissue of Odessey and Oracle from work and we just got in the the RSD Exclusive,
    is this any different from the one Im currently owning?
    The only brief difference i noticed is that the back is in black and white print, but
    i didnt catch the "Stereo" printed on there, any chance this in mono?

3. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

I think the RSD is stereo as well.

Yayastone likes this.
  4. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I ended up with the Soundgarden 10" set and Opeth Watershed releases. Also got the Nick Cave and Nirvana releases left over from previous RSD's.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the Nirvana 7" later on. And I'm hoping too that the Cake box is released later on as a standard release.

5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I queued for about an hour, shop opened on time, this time, got in there and got the Topic Anne Briggs single. Happy. Realised i still have the Davy Graham single from RSD 2013, sealed!

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that picture is pure Canada in April, you never know what you're going to get

a different kind of RSD in Edmonton yesterday

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/lp-fans-buy-up-stacks-of-wax-at-record-garage-sale-1.2615156

[​IMG]

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Been in line for over an hour, store doesn't open until 8am, and I'm way back. Guess I will be shut out if most items I want. We will see.

8. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

My RSD is done. The prices are OUTRAGEOUS. and certainly jumped since last year where I remember 7'' prices being in the £7-8 range (still high).

2 shops visited.

Elbow - Charge 7'' - £11!
    Terminator 2 Soundtrack 7'' with Embossed cover - £12!
    Sex Pistols - NMTB Alternate Takes 7 x 7'' Box Set - £80!!
    David Lynch - The Big Dream Remixes red 12'' - £12
    Oasis - Supersonic 12'' - £11
    Bruce Springsteen - American Beauty - 12''EP - £9
    Garbage + Brody Dalle - Girls Talk 10''- £8
    The Doors - Weird Scenes 2 x LP - £33!
    LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye - 5 x LP Box Set - £95!!!

Would have liked the Ghostbusters 10'', Alanis Morrisette Live album, REM Box, SoundGarden 10'' Singles box, Suede 7'', Jake Bugg live album and Dean Martin LP but nowhere to be seen.

Terrible amount of stock at Swordfish in Birmingham - relatively small queue at opening (about 25 people) and by the time I got there more or less everything had gone...

9. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Gah! I drove past my usual record haunt around midnight (I will be driving my cab all evening long before I head over to get in line) and there is already some dude sitting in a folding chair waiting for at least ten hours before the doors open. Hey buddy, the JERK STORE is several blocks away! :mad:

Dmdstrhalo, Dudley Morris and BNell like this.
  10. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I'm just back. Went to Soho (London), shook my head at the silly queues and turned around, ready to go home. But I ended up stopping by one place more or less on my way home, which was empty, and picked up:

The Doors
    REM
    Grateful Dead
    Otis Redding
    Husker Du

Not cheap, but not empty handed either!

apple-richard likes this.
  11. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I had an Otis Reading in my hand this morning but put it back... let me know how it sounds... bit gutted I didn't get it...

12. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Well, I'm mega pleased I got what I wanted. Records by Pissed Jeans, The Field and Sensefield. I showed up at 7, total queuing time, 4 hours. Not too bad really. Must've been around 120th in line.

Still think everything is way overpriced though. And I saved at least £10 not going to Rough Trade.

13. Dwayne

Dwayne Forum Resident

Doors was super expensive in NZ too, pretty insane really considering what the first print goes for.

14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

How is the sound/pressing quality of this title?

15. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Dunkrag - I had Springsteen in my hands too, and Joy Division, and passed on them.

Vern - agreed, a bit of sticker shock on this stuff. I purposely avoided Rough Trade because of your post earlier on the topic.

Vern likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I saw that but they wanted £29 for it! Mad. Most normal Rhino albums go for about £15.

I only bought two things as I think the prices in the UK were insane.

17. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I waited half an hour at my local store for the Springsteen ep. Then picked it up, saw the price sticker and walked out again.

It was $35. (ie, £19!/$33 USD.)

$6 on iTunes. Tough choice, that one.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  18. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Left house at 2.45 am after 2 hours sleep.
    Drive 80 miles
    1st in queue at 4.05 am
    Next person turned up at 5.00 am
    Shop opened at 8.30 am - Everything was perfectly organised

Wasn't looking for much this year apart from Springsteen & Ronnie Spector but picked up a few additional items.

Coldplay 7"
    Regina Spektor 7"
    Roddy Frame - Western Skies LP (Surf did not arrive on time)
    Bowie - RnR Suicide Picture Disc (1984 has not turned up on Import yet)
    Camera Obscura 12"

Missed out on Roger Waters' single - shop only got 1 copy.

Thought about REM box set (they had 2 copies) but I am not paying £50 for an item that might be out on CD within next few months.

Got a free goodie bag with a T-Shirt, 3 vinyl singles, 4 sampler CD's, Autographs from The Kaiser Chiefs, some badges and stickers

Arrived home at 10.15 am and am well and truly knackered.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Jerod, apple-richard and Davidmk5 like this.
  19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

off to Berwick St now

20. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Nice download card in the LCD Soundsystem box...

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues and jsb! like this.
  21. mep

mep Forum Resident

SACD or Blu-Ray Audio releases would be great, too - from my point of view. It´s kind of sad, that both of these formats never quite had a real breakthrough. I think the main problem is the high price for mostly a basically bare-bones product. And they should start to release current albums also on both formats, not only the same rereleases over and over again. I really like Becks Sea Change; but how often can you release this record in a different format, while hopeing for someone to buy it once again ?

I purchased your Mumford & Sons Live release here in Germany as a CD; but only, because the vinyl version was not available here. It was also quite expensive - I think round about 15€ for basically an live - EP with four songs on it. I would buy more CD-Versions on RSD, if they would be more collectible - with special bonus content, a nice digipak or something like that. But all of the few CD - releases I saw during the past RSDs were just normal jewel cases and also very pricey ones.

One thing I´m asking myself also for a long time: Why haven´t all actual RSD - releases these nice silver RSD badges ? I would love it, to see these badges on all of my RSD - records, not just on some of them...

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

What store you at Mike? Scotti's or PREX?

23. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Wow - really crowded at my locals in Melbourne.
    They wanted $50 for the RSD Public Enemy 'Nation' lp double - too rich for me.

I prefer all the other days of the year - I can at least get near the bins.

24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Back from my local store Sounds in Geneva. Probably around 10 guys waiting when it opened, but a really poor selection, a handful of lp's and 7". I would say less than 50 items in total, and about a third of the lp's were Rough Guides, and the prices were over the top, the equivalent of $20 for a 7"!!

Needless to say didn't get anything, as did a few others, so I'm afraid its online for me again this year.

25. Stones_Fan_129

Stones_Fan_129 New Member

New guy here. I just bought a turntable and was wondering what I should look out for to make sure I don't get ripped off or get a bad pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.