The next Oppo product? The PM-1 planar magnetic headphone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

For anyone doing reviews of the PM-1 here's a couple of things I'm wondering about:

How neutral is it? Especially compared to Audeze and HiFiMan headphones.

How well does it do classical? The shelved down upper mids and treble of the LCD-2 makes classical sound dull. When I first got my LCD-2 I pretty much stopped listening to classical because the LCD-2 made it sound dull. I've since fixed that by EQing and I'm back to listening to classical and enjoying classical. The sonic signature of the LCD-2 is much more favoring for rock and electronic music than classical. I need a good planar headphone that can do classical as well as rock. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the PM-1 may be that headphone. Otherwise I'm going to have to look at HiFiMan's new offerings.

With the PM-1 being quite efficient will there be noise problems with amps like my Schiit Lyr? The Lyr does have amp hiss that you can hear if you use an efficient headphone.

LeeS likes this.
  2. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

So the Oppo press release seems to suggest the only difference between the PM-1 and PM-2 is the leather earpads and machined steel parts. Is that confirmed, or is it general marketing speak so far?

3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Can't answer those questions (yet), but I'll try. But what I can say is that the new PM-1's arrived today for me to review on The Audio Beat. Can't wait to get them burned in and give them a good listen. Having heard both the LCD-2's and the HE-500's, these new PM-1's are in for some stiff competition. But I can say that the PM-1 is one very sensitive full range headphone - it can be driven by my iPhone (off a quick audition at work).....

Ham Sandwich and LeeS like this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very cool

5. JMCIII

Yep. And quite the package they come in too.

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Really looking forward to reading what you think of these. Can't wait for my local dealer to get some in for a demo.

JMCIII likes this.
  7. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I'm hoping to audition these at the AXPONA expo http://www.axpona.com/ at the end of the month. My first audio expo experience. Time to geek out, freak out, and drool!

8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Update: I just looked over the exhibitors list and didn't see Oppo listed. I hope that changes.

9. Further

Further Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to reviews, as well. I'm interested in the PM-2. Don't think I can spring for the more expensive ones, especially if there's no difference in the sound.

10. JMCIII

11. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Steve Guttenberg tweets he will post his review of the PM-1 next week:

My #Oppo PM-1 headphone review was delayed, will run next weekend on http://t.co/gkR8SQBwr5

12. CarterB

13. avraham

avraham New Member

Received my PM-1s yesterday and I love them. Great for classical and jazz.

LeeS, Metralla, CarterB and 2 others like this.
  14. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Hey Avrahem - what amplification do you have juicing them, and how's the bass slam & overall imaging? I might get them in addition to my HiFiMans...
    (How do they sound right out of the box and please come back here 6 - 12 months from now to follow up with break-in accomplished...)

I have a pair of 10wpc tube monoblocks powering my Hifimans that prob get to 2 or 3 wpc into 50ohms.... I just wonder what my amps would do with the Oppo's very efficient power requirements, prob get me Krell-like bass slam & control in addition to continued tube midrange magic...

Voodoo Child likes this.
  15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Ordered a pair yesterday. Been told that stock is due to arrive in the UK early next week. Hopefully won't have to wait too long. Can't come soon enough though!

16. sankalp1989

sankalp1989 New Member

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nice! Do you have any experience with the Audeze headphones as a comparison?

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Outrageous, these are retailing for AUD$1,699.00 Down Under.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oppo has completely screwed up their business model as the "inexpensive product that could."

aroney likes this.
  22. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

@Sigma6 - If you really want 'em, send me the American equivalent + shipping and I'll send
    them to you as if you were my family member...

@chadbang - If these headphones sound almost as good as the Abyss then they very well could
    still be considered "inexpensive product that could." Before I set my HiFiMans aside to
    possibly be replaced these Oppos or the Abysses I'll be awaiting several reviews. I'm very
    interested in the Oppos' efficiency, and if they do have good bass abundency & slam as well
    as the usual planar merits, then yeah, they will probably be considered once again giant killers,
    and don't forget the P2's that'll be coming as well...

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I contacted Oppo earlier tonight to see if the PM-2s would have similar SQ to the PM-1s. Below is Oppo's response.

Bill,

They should be virtually identical as the drivers are going to be the same. The
    difference is in the material used for the housing and the earpads/headband.

Best Regards,
    Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.

I'm very interested in the PM-2s as the PM-1s are out of my price range.

Bill

Further, CarterB, NOS300B and 2 others like this.
  24. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Excellent news regarding sound quality. I've also been holding out for the PM-2s, for reasons already discussed.

25. CarterB

Brent Butterworth compares them to the LCD-3 in a great review with measurements if that is your thing. These headphones sound like the real deal though I will wait for the PM-2 comparisons as this is probably a Christmas buy. Key things for me are sensitive enough to not need an amp, small enough to travel, and compare better than some twice the price.

http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-Oppo-Digital-PM-1-Headphone.htm

One question, I thought these were an open back design but Brent implies they would work in an office environment.

Steve Guttenberg is supposed to have his review on cnet today as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.