American pop culture is now officially dead...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by T'mershi Duween, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Has it really taken you this long ?

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  2. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

As I bleary-eyed and cotton-eared listened/watched this in my morning fog, I expected to be disgusted. But no...instead I was treated to a contemporary musical satire worthy of Zappa. Imagine that you were not set up for this by the OP -- imagine that a video accompanied this song -- for instance, a video which shows vapid Sabrinas on the Street Staring into Screens or people sitting at a dinner table ignoring each other while they...well, you know...or some people staring at kittens doing kitty things. All they need to do now is add some autotune on the vocals to get the full modern effect. These people are very smart...they'll fool a lot of people with this one.

3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

That gave me a good belly laugh. How about that rap?

Now, if you really want to have a good cringe regarding social media, go watch the Frontline episode called Generation Like.

4. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Great song.
    I think the world needs positive messages.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The "Rap" at the end showed that unlike what some people think, it does take some skills to rap. Not everyone can do it.

wavethatflag and T'mershi Duween like this.
  6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

7. nbakid2000

8. zen

zen Senior Member

I've observed this social media phenomenon and it's quickly becoming a sickness. Cheers. :tiphat:

9. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I had my guitar in hand figuring out some guitar parts for my Free ABA thread so I started playing along with the song. The A string broke on my guitar and hit me in the face.

DDTM and T'mershi Duween like this.
  11. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident Thread Starter

Much better rapping and production on this one though. Oddly, this Wendy's video sounds less dated and un-hip than Let's Get Social!

The good thing about this Wendy's vid? I actually learned something about handling hot drinks for the public! I'm ready for a morning shift at Wendy's now!

12. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I bet if Katy Perry and some famous rapper did this song it would be famous.

13. Mock away, chumps - you're playing right into Mary McCoy's hands!

Singer Mocked for `Let's Get Social' Is Loving the Attention, and Getting More Gigs!
    For the past two days, 22-year-old Mary McCoy has been mercilessly mocked and ridiculed by what feels like the entire internet — and she says she’s loving it. McCoy is the accidental “star” of a video called "Let's Get Social" that went massively viral this week, not because it's good but because it is so cringe-indiucingly awful. The five-minute video, shot at a social media conference a few weeks ago, shows McCoy singing off-key and also features an awkward and unforgettable rap performance by a nerdy middle-aged white man wearing sunglasses and trying to be hip. But guess what? McCoy says now she's getting offers to sing at other conferences....

14. Rose River Bear

s
    BTW the chords in that killer verse are C5-Eb5-F5-Ab5 just in case anyone wants to rock out with it. As you can see it is two minor third jumps. It is brilliant in its simplicity.

wavethatflag and T'mershi Duween like this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Umm... This is obviously a joke. They're taking the piss. Always be skeptical of the sender when something goes viral. At first, I thought they might have been trying to produce a fake Rebecca Black effect... But no, this is too self-aware.

16. Rose River Bear

What's the scoop with the guy that looks like he is wearing wrestling tights at :59. He slips the one shoulder strap off before he sits down. o_O

17. it's the millenial anthem:laugh:

18. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Reminds me of special guest performances at church growing up, and having to endure actual eye contact with them. Talk about fighting the giggle fits..

19. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I've been looking for a push in the anti-social direction, but not at the expense of wasting 5 whole minutes. Mixed feelings about this.

20. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

One of the comments under this is from Awkward Middle-aged Rapper Guy Phil Mershon himself:

21. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Let's get nauseous...

zebop and BrewCrew82 like this.
  22. nbakid2000

I got it.

23. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Personally, I don't think the girl sounds that bad. There are famous singers that sounds a lot worse than her and look at the fame and fortune they are getting.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yes, it is dead. The White House said Bieber can stay in the country. :hurl:

25. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Like a horrible accident...I couldn't pull my eyes away.

1970 and T'mershi Duween like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.